Author Topic: Intro  (Read 741 times)

Offline Melkor

• Vizekorporal
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: Intro
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2021, 09:48:25 AM »
@Optatus, yes, I know  :D. I was going to take Aule, but the story of Melkor is so intriguing for me. It is a reminder that, no matter how initially gifted we are, it all depends on the having right disposition and our free will. Which reminds me, it has been a while since I read the Silmarillion. :)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented."

G.K. Chesterton

Offline Melkor

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2021, 09:50:54 AM »
@Heinrich thanks man! Though I am fairly slim so it may take longer lol! ;D

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented."

G.K. Chesterton

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich

Offline Christina_S

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Learning to love the will of God...
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2021, 12:26:34 PM »
I didn't know that you are in Canada too Christina.  You must be out west with those cold temperatures.  It's a balmy -6 C here in southern Ontario now.   :canada:
Yep, Edmonton AB! It gets this cold every year, usually in January or February, for at least a week. I grew up 3 hrs north of the city, where it gets much colder and stays snowy for much longer.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out my husband's blog! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/

Offline Optatus

• Vizekorporal
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2021, 01:17:56 PM »
@Optatus, yes, I know  :D. I was going to take Aule, but the story of Melkor is so intriguing for me. It is a reminder that, no matter how initially gifted we are, it all depends on the having right disposition and our free will. Which reminds me, it has been a while since I read the Silmarillion. :)

Interesting interpretation. I like Aulë, but less than I do Ulmo. Of the Aratar he seems most (perhaps even uniquely) concerned with the sufferings of Men.

Time to read it again, I say! I am currently working my way through HoMe.

The following users thanked this post: Melkor

Offline Melkor

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2021, 02:00:26 PM »
I like the craftsman aspect of Aule. Good point though about Ulmo though, very interesting. Man, there are so many amazing characters in that world.

G.K. Chesterton

The following users thanked this post: Optatus

Offline mikemac

• Hauptmann
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2021, 02:55:55 PM »
I didn't know that you are in Canada too Christina.  You must be out west with those cold temperatures.  It's a balmy -6 C here in southern Ontario now.   :canada:
Yep, Edmonton AB! It gets this cold every year, usually in January or February, for at least a week. I grew up 3 hrs north of the city, where it gets much colder and stays snowy for much longer.

One of my brothers lives in Spruce Grove just west of Edmonton.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

The following users thanked this post: Christina_S

Offline Optatus

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2021, 04:41:56 PM »
I like the craftsman aspect of Aule. Good point though about Ulmo though, very interesting. Man, there are so many amazing characters in that world.

I've been reading Tolkien since I was about 12 (early 30s now), which is not any kind of boast but only an attempt to say that there is decades worth of enjoyment to be had out of exploring the legendarium. I don't think I'll ever really tire of it and I am always learning something new.

My cousin moved out to Calgary some years back and he simply can't hack the climate. We Ontario boys have it too easy.

Offline Melkor

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2021, 04:54:09 PM »
@Optatus that is great to hear. I know what you mean, it seems every time I re-read one of Tolkien's works it get better.

G.K. Chesterton

The following users thanked this post: Optatus

Offline mikemac

• Hauptmann
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2021, 05:23:58 PM »

My cousin moved out to Calgary some years back and he simply can't hack the climate. We Ontario boys have it too easy.

Another Canadian.  Cool.  Yeah, periodically my brother asks himself out loud why he ever moved to the Edmonton area.  That's usually in the winter.  Too late now, he's been there for about 35 years, has a family, is established with real estate and the like.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

Offline Optatus

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2021, 05:29:56 PM »

Another Canadian.  Cool.  Yeah, periodically my brother asks himself out loud why he ever moved to the Edmonton area.  That's usually in the winter.  Too late now, he's been there for about 35 years, has a family, is established with real estate and the like.
[/quote]

I will not take offense that you have forgotten me (lol).

But I see the appeal of cities like Edmonton. Big as it may be, it stikes me as some middle-ground between a hellpit like Toronto and the forest. I think I'd make out happily in a place like Whitehorse even if the winter would be a challenge to acclimatise to. Anyway, I'm happy for your brother. It sounds like he's established a happy and prosperous life for himself and I hope he and his family are doing well in these strange times.

The following users thanked this post: mikemac

Offline Jacob

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2021, 05:35:43 PM »

How far are you?
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
--Neal Stephenson

Offline Optatus

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2021, 05:47:19 PM »

How far are you?
[/quote]

I'm about half-way through The Shaping of Middle-earth and loving every chapter. The most outrageous, ludicrous part of all is that I thought I was well-versed in Tolkien. So far, The Book of Lost Tales has been the greatest shock. It is so strange to see where Tolkien began and where he ultimately ended up, in a good sort of way. The "Cottage of Lost Play" presents such a strange, yet oddly familiar, conception of well-established figures as, say, Beren or Fëanor or Melian (good grief, her many, many names) that it is actually exciting to witness their development. My only regret as a fan of many years is that I didn't explore it sooner. I was too set on the established canon to think much of its development, to my utter loss.

Offline Christina_S

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Learning to love the will of God...
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2021, 04:12:37 PM »
I will not take offense that you have forgotten me (lol).

But I see the appeal of cities like Edmonton. Big as it may be, it stikes me as some middle-ground between a hellpit like Toronto and the forest. I think I'd make out happily in a place like Whitehorse even if the winter would be a challenge to acclimatise to. Anyway, I'm happy for your brother. It sounds like he's established a happy and prosperous life for himself and I hope he and his family are doing well in these strange times.
Yeah, Edmonton isn't quite as crazy and liberal as Toronto, but it's still way more liberal than the rest of the province. Basically everywhere in the province will vote Conservative in an election, federal or provincial, with the exception of Edmonton. I'd much rather be out in the wilderness further north, but liturgical and homeschool co-op options there are a bit more limited.
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out my husband's blog! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/

Offline Francisco Suárez

• Korporal
  • Religion: Latter-Day Saint
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2021, 11:27:47 AM »
Greetings & welcome. I like your interests, particularly that niche game Grim Dawn  ;D

Offline Melkor

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2021, 11:30:22 AM »
Greetings & welcome. I like your interests, particularly that niche game Grim Dawn  ;D

Yay! A fellow Cairner at last! It really is such a good game. 8)

G.K. Chesterton

The following users thanked this post: Francisco Suárez