Author Topic: Toxic Mulch  (Read 573 times)

Offline Philip G.

• Wachtmeister
  • Ordinary Cult
  • Religion: Catholic
Toxic Mulch
« on: February 06, 2021, 07:36:09 PM »
So, I am a gardener by profession, and I currently have a very bad poison oak like rash from a job I did.  It is on my face, my private parts, my arms, and almost all of my stomach area.  How the heck did this happen you might wonder?  Well, I was pulling weeds at a first time customers yard who has that free fresh mulch everywhere.  It is the type of mulch from a freshly ground tree that arborists and or forestry companies will deliver for free.  For the record, I hate all wood chip mulch, and I always have.  And, I hardly ever deal with it.  Well, this is going to be an experience I never forget. 

For starters, this lady called me months ago, and for various reasons I was not interested in returning her call.  I personally thought she was trying to pick up on me from her tone of voice, and I was just not interested in dealing with some giggly flirty client.  I advertise with pictures, of myself included, so it can happen.  So, I never called her back.  Months later, she finds me at a job site and comes up to talk to me.  She was with her husband and newborn.  That was a relief, but it stunk being put on the spot about not returning her call.  I tried my best to evade admitting I got her message but just blew her off, but I did a borderline job, and it felt like a lie.  Lying is not the way I like to start out a relationship.  So, I go over to her house and I pull weeds for a few hours.  And, the next day I am in misery with a spreading rash that just got worse for like 3 days.  I have since turned a corner, and I hope it will be over within another week. 

This family I worked for was a smart-house back-to-eden type of property with a healthy looking husband/father.  I wondered why they wanted me to take over all their gardening duties.  Perhaps I now have the answer.  They have toxic mulch.  And, I wouldn't be surprised if they had reactions to this mulch too.  Either way, I won't be going back there. 

Toxic mulch is so dangerous.  I will never work with any free mulch ever again.  I once got a small reaction from this type of mulch nearly a year ago, but it was small, and I simply forgot about the experience.  But, this can be so dangerous, because you don't know you are exposed, so you are not careful about what you touch.  And, you go take a hot shower after work and spread it all over the place.  Whereas if you knew you were working with poison oak, you would be very careful.  And, the only way to get rid of poison oak, is at very early stages by way of prevention.

This whole experience has been like one big curse.  First, I got a bad feeling about the lady over the phone.  Second, I ended up being dishonest at our first meeting.  And, then I do the job and now I am out for at least a week and a half with a very serious condition.  To top it off, her giant house in perhaps the wealthiest neighborhood in our town is all awkward stand out from a mile away Purple!  And, they have a black cat!  And, I don't discriminate against black cats.   I did my best to avoid this, but I am hunted down by it anyway.  I can at least say that a lesson will be learned.  It will sure make for a good story, and a convincing argument against ever putting mulch down.  The free mulch can have poison plants/toxins you would never know are in there, and the mulch you have to purchase often comes from treated wood that can be toxic as well.  It merits the word hate. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 10:51:44 PM by Philip G. »
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

The following users thanked this post: Pon de Replay, Lynne, Michael Wilson, Elizabeth.2

Offline Elizabeth.2

• Korporal
Re: Toxic Mulch
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2021, 09:16:08 PM »
Total empathy, not from mulch but ~

Poison oak is directly from Hell...my tragedy involved home gardening, distressed living, firewood and being bitten by some kind of demonic mite. 

This is an opportunity for spiritual advancement.  I can tell you are slightly mad from the raging toxins at present.  Or maybe that's just projection.  But the mortification, the delirium!!

And mulch  :vomit: the stench alone..

:pray3: :pray3: :pray3:

Offline Philip G.

• Wachtmeister
  • Ordinary Cult
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 10:46:34 PM »

Poison oak is directly from Hell...my tragedy involved home gardening, distressed living, firewood and being bitten by some kind of demonic mite. 

This is an opportunity for spiritual advancement.  I can tell you are slightly mad from the raging toxins at present.  Or maybe that's just projection.  But the mortification, the delirium!!

Fortunately I know how to remedy ailments very well.  I am on a diet of basically massive amounts of cooked non starchy vegetables, with starchy vegetables only when I start feeling deprived of functional energy.  About every two hours I am consuming vegetables in quantity comparable to the size of a full cauliflower.  And, the relief is noticeable.  So, I am very full, but not filled with energy, and in very little pain/agony considering I am not using any topicals.  Sleeping is the most difficult thing.  I have audiobooks on all night just to distract me from my condition.  The most difficult things are having a blanket on at night(I need the window open year round for oxygen/for my asthma), and drying after a shower.  I think it will be over soon though. 

The sad thing is that the family is quite nice.  But, I will not be setting foot back on that property unless the mulch is removed and a good year goes by for the soil to change.  I don't want the oils to touch my shoes.  I am going to have to clean all of the tools I used, and some.  The thought of this haunts me.  Gardening is always such a pleasant experience.  This is a nightmare. 
« Last Edit: February 06, 2021, 10:54:15 PM by Philip G. »
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

Offline Philip G.

• Wachtmeister
  • Ordinary Cult
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 10:57:25 PM »

Are you sure you didn't have pityriasis rosea?  The distressed living sounds like a symptom of that.  I am wondering if I have it, but I think mine is more characteristic of an toxic oil spread. 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 12:53:01 AM by Philip G. »

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 07:55:29 AM »
Where I live the paper industry used to sell a sludge to farmers for peanuts. It was very popular as a mulch. It made the hay fields a nice bright green. Then it turned out that the sludge was full of dioxin from the bleaching process used in paper making.
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

The following users thanked this post: Pon de Replay, Lynne

Offline Lynne

• Thankful to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2021, 01:47:41 PM »
Where I live the paper industry used to sell a sludge to farmers for peanuts. It was very popular as a mulch. It made the hay fields a nice bright green. Then it turned out that the sludge was full of dioxin from the bleaching process used in paper making.

Idiots.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline james03

• Hauptmann
  • The Brutal Clarity of a Winter Morning
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 04:47:49 PM »
For really bad cases like this the steroid packs work wonders.  I've used them a few times without any complications.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Offline Philip G.

• Wachtmeister
  • Ordinary Cult
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2021, 11:32:47 PM »
For really bad cases like this the steroid packs work wonders.  I've used them a few times without any complications.

It took me 7 days to get back to normal/work, which is crazy good. I ran into a problem though when I ate a bunch of cooked bell peppers in one sitting.  I ended up having a reaction to them, and my arm started to swell and be painful.  It was a reaction to nightshade vegetable.  It was kinda scary as it was after dinner, but I just ate some fruit and did some static elevated exercises to reduce the swelling.  Other than that, I think I managed it real well.  I hardly used any anti itch topicals, and no steroid topicals or pills. 

Offline The Curt Jester

• Water-drinker at the Coffee Social
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Neo-Pelagian Angry Traditionalist with Narcissistic Tendencies
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2021, 09:24:05 AM »
What would you suggest in place of mulch?   I have used wood chip mulch from three different sources:  store-bought (I don't usually, but I just needed a little), from a tree cutter (free), and from another tree cutter (from work he did in my yard).  I know my yard is just fine, so anything from the third option should be okay to us, but I can't keep cutting down all my trees.   Grass mulch? Leaves? Something else?
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2021, 10:20:15 AM »
Grass clippings. Fall leaves. Sawdust.
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

The following users thanked this post: Pon de Replay

Offline Philip G.

• Wachtmeister
  • Ordinary Cult
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2021, 02:47:04 PM »
What would you suggest in place of mulch?   I have used wood chip mulch from three different sources:  store-bought (I don't usually, but I just needed a little), from a tree cutter (free), and from another tree cutter (from work he did in my yard).  I know my yard is just fine, so anything from the third option should be okay to us, but I can't keep cutting down all my trees.   Grass mulch? Leaves? Something else?

What is the reason you want mulch?  Are you trying to feed something, or are you "trying" to keep weeds down with it?

Offline Philip G.

• Wachtmeister
  • Ordinary Cult
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2021, 03:22:11 PM »
I hate to say such a thing, because this young family seemed very nice.  The mother dressed modestly, the father was very polite and friendly, and their newborn was, well, a beautiful happy little baby.  Despite this, I cannot help but think that this was my first genuine encounter with a witch.  I just did a google search, and apparently a purple door and/or house is a mark of a witch,  They have a black cat.  And, I go over there, and my skin turns to boils.  What the heck!

I use an austrian scythe to cut really tall grass/weed yards, and I advertise it in my photos.  And, this lady mentioned how cool she thought that was.  Maybe she thought I was the grim reaper.  No, but my last name does have those four letters in it! 

Maybe there was no poison oak in that mulch after all.  Maybe it was just witchcraft. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 05:42:37 PM by Philip G. »

Offline mikemac

• Hauptmann
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2021, 07:00:00 PM »
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

The following users thanked this post: Melkor

Offline Philip G.

• Wachtmeister
  • Ordinary Cult
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2021, 10:46:22 PM »
Maybe you are watching too much South Park.

Why so edgy?  Are you in denial of the fact that hollywood and legislators work together to pass their agenda?  Or, you are just looking to take a cheap shot.  Either way, their magic won't work if they don't broadcast before hand exactly what they are going to do. 

And, the only thing these videos seem to suggest is that distilled alcohol is cursed.  So much for that trad pass time.  You won't ever see me ever drinking distilled alcohol.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 10:56:43 PM by Philip G. »

Offline Melkor

• Korporal
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2021, 01:07:40 PM »
So you think you got hexed @Philip? As far as I am concerned, I have much confidence in the Scapular and Miraculous Medal I wear. I would think the Blessed Virgin would protect her children from such things.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented."

G.K. Chesterton