Author Topic: Need Advise on a New Business  (Read 782 times)

Offline christulsa

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
Need Advise on a New Business
« on: January 14, 2021, 07:10:47 PM »
A website offering continuing education courses (continuing education units—CEUs) to physical and occupational therapists (plus PTAs/OTAs), taught by me and my wife (and other like minded therapists) much higher quality, much lower cost, fulfills biannual licensure renewal requirements, course general enough for approval both disciplines.  Dynamic engaging alternative teaching format.  Cutting edge evidence-based practice.   Design and record each course, upload, get Med board approvals all 50 states, basic website, mainly internet marketing. 

I’ve got 5k ready to start it up and test it. Plan: make a basic core curriculum where the therapist can get all 30 CEUs for like $50 instead of $300+.  Get approval (relatively easy), set up website for registration, payment, etc.  If marketed well online, at least supplemental income (10-20 k), but possibly full time income.  Long term possibility market to therapy companies to provide to their therapists as one of their benefits (some already do), at lower cost.  Many therapists have to pay for their own CEUs and it’s costly, and classes are typically just boring power point presentations.  Once I set up 10, 3 hour courses on the site, approved in a few states at least, then I’d pay a marketing company (1k/mo plus?) to test market it and see what the numbers are after a few months.  Determine net profit after marketing expense (main cost).   

I’ve thought about this for about a year, and now seems the right time to start this.  I’m already several hours into designing my first course on gait training with music for Parkinson’s (near miraculous outcomes, check it out on YT).  Could get other trad Catholic therapists to make courses or be partners from anywhere in the world.

Need general advise about:

a) internet marketing

b) website design

c) initial $ needed

d) feasibility of success.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 09:33:15 PM by christulsa »

Offline andy

• Hellebardier
Re: Need Advise on a New Business
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 12:13:59 AM »
Is there a competition? Somebody like you already in the market?

Offline christulsa

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 12:48:16 AM »

3-4 big companies doing it, most at a high price tag, and their courses are boring as h*ll.  There's a few other small sites that seem inactive.

Mine would compete with the 3-4.  Most therapists aren't going to sign up with a site like this because of unlimited CEUs; they're paying the $250 or $300 membership to knock out the 30 CEUs to renew their license.  For most sites your best deal is $10 per unit x 30 required = $300.  One site offers all at $99, but 15 of the 30 must be "live" and that site offers few live courses.  Even the pricier ones only have a couple live courses a month.  My site will offer courses I'll proctor live two evenings every week from my recliner; the standard being pre-recorded lectures w 5 minute breaks every hour for Q/A in a chat box.  Ending with a simple test.  Each course could be registered for either the live (more $$) or non-live version, and be used for at least a few years.

The degree of success will come down to whether or not I have the financial power to compete w the others through google and FB marketing (I hate both but they're necessary evils for marketing). 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 12:57:11 AM by christulsa »

Offline andy

• Hellebardier
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 03:26:29 PM »
The degree of success will come down to whether or not I have the financial power to compete w the others through google and FB marketing (I hate both but they're necessary evils for marketing).

All sounds like a solid plan. I was asking because I am facing a job/business change situation myself and ask some of those question too.

I asked a SSPX priest a while ago about using (or working for) Facebook and other bit tech leftist platforms. He said that the technology in itself is morally neutral but also advised to apply a principle of a double effect if there is a specific concern.

Good luck!

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2021, 04:09:56 PM »

3-4 big companies doing it, most at a high price tag, and their courses are boring as h*ll.  There's a few other small sites that seem inactive.

Mine would compete with the 3-4.  Most therapists aren't going to sign up with a site like this because of unlimited CEUs; they're paying the $250 or $300 membership to knock out the 30 CEUs to renew their license.  For most sites your best deal is $10 per unit x 30 required = $300.  One site offers all at $99, but 15 of the 30 must be "live" and that site offers few live courses.  Even the pricier ones only have a couple live courses a month.  My site will offer courses I'll proctor live two evenings every week from my recliner; the standard being pre-recorded lectures w 5 minute breaks every hour for Q/A in a chat box.  Ending with a simple test.  Each course could be registered for either the live (more $$) or non-live version, and be used for at least a few years.

Are you qualified to do this?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline christulsa

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 05:17:12 PM »
Why wouldn’t I be.  Jerk.

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 05:32:54 PM »
Why wouldn’t I be.  Jerk.

Why are you resorting to personal insults? Wouldn't you need some type of credentialing/accreditation from a legitimate clearinghouse?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline christulsa

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2021, 05:38:30 PM »
I’m credentialed with a license from the OK medical board, and an allied profession degree.  Those are the only credentials I need. 

Because of your long history sniping people’s posts, in particular mine.  Expect the same response each time. If you really cared about SD, you would stop.  What you’re doing is objectively a sin.

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2021, 06:28:45 PM »
I can't offer you any specific advice on what you need; but If you can work for yourself you will always be better off than working for someone else.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Offline christulsa

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 06:35:46 PM »
I can't offer you any specific advice on what you need; but If you can work for yourself you will always be better off than working for someone else.

Thanks Michael for the sincere, supportive response.   You’re an intelligent, charitable, traditional Catholic gentleman. 

I don’t expect to make much doing this, it would be supplemental income.  But if I can show a good profit margin, I can relatively easily submit the basic paperwork to get approved in any state, and then put $ back into the online marketing. 

The following users thanked this post: Michael Wilson

Offline Non Nobis

• Why are you fearful?
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 09:38:37 PM »

You’re an intelligent, charitable, traditional Catholic gentleman

I think he is.

I wonder if he also has the natural blessing of not having too much of a choleric temperament.  It seems you and Heinrich both have a bit of that. One insults and the other insults back.

I noted Heinrich thanked you for one criticism.

God alone knows, but I see good will in both of you trads, so "peace on earth...."
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Offline christulsa

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2021, 11:06:29 PM »
Well, my temperament is 70% melancholic, 30% phlegmatic.  Took different tests several times.  Not a drop of choleric in me (not that being choleric is unnatural or not a blessing). 

But yes I did take note of his "Thank you" to my criticism.   Hopefully you are right, as implied, that it was sincere.  Yet, if he continues his pattern of sniping, then I'll let YOU intervene.  I'll just sit back on my laurels laughing to myself.  Fair enough, Non Nobis?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 11:22:17 PM by christulsa »

Offline Non Nobis

• Why are you fearful?
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2021, 12:24:37 AM »
Well, my temperament is 70% melancholic, 30% phlegmatic.  Took different tests several times.  Not a drop of choleric in me (not that being choleric is unnatural or not a blessing). 

But yes I did take note of his "Thank you" to my criticism.   Hopefully you are right, as implied, that it was sincere.  Yet, if he continues his pattern of sniping, then I'll let YOU intervene.  I'll just sit back on my laurels laughing to myself.  Fair enough, Non Nobis?

I guess even someone who does not have a choleric temperament can say something that he thinks is justified but that comes across as a rude personal insult.  The word "jerk" tends to do that.  Maybe Heinrich was just asking innocently about accreditation. But maybe I'm wrong. Michael is probably more prudent in staying out of it.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Offline christulsa

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 12:31:47 AM »
You remind me a lot of Jayne.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 12:40:26 AM by christulsa »

Offline Non Nobis

• Why are you fearful?
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 02:58:53 AM »
You remind me a lot of Jayne.

Hmm, some people would consider that a negative comment. But I generally like Jayne so I'm happy with it.  I know she sometimes irks people and I don't want to do that. But I can only do my best. I think Jayne  has great things to say; she sure knows more than me. People should put up with idiosyncracies and past failings.