Author Topic: Hello SD!  (Read 251 times)

Offline gilbs72

• Hellebardier
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Hello SD!
« on: February 04, 2021, 01:17:41 PM »
Greetings! I joined SD because I want to share knowledge and prayers within our Catholic faith. Previously, I was a member of Catholic Answers Forum until the discussion board was closed recently. I've been married for 14 years and I am from the Philippines. I was raised a Catholic and educated by the Salesians of Don Bosco. For the past 12 years, I have taken St Benedict  as my spiritual father. Although I was enrolled in the Scapular Confraternity at Don Bosco school I was not seriously observing the Carmelite life, so last year I decided to ask a Carmelite Priest to bless me and I was formally registered in the Confraternity of the Brown Scapular and following its rules and traditions. I am trying to "re-boot" my life and offering my imperfect self to Jesus and Mary through solitary prayer. For personal entertainment, I like reading and watching classic fantasy and science fiction works, but on more serious moments read the Holy Bible, writings of Doctors of the Church, spiritual warfare, some Orthodox texts, and the like. My work focuses on tech start-ups (business plans, presentations, etc.). I am not a sports fan nor have a particular sport. I hope to find friends who share the same interests in SD. Thank you for welcoming me and may everyone stay safe and blessed.

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Maximilian, diaduit, Xavier

Offline mikemac

• Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Hello SD!
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 01:26:37 PM »
Welcome  :toth:
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 03:35:36 PM »
 :toth:
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

Offline Lynne

• Thankful to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 04:36:35 PM »
Welcome! We're a fun and feisty group!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline clau clau

• My other bike is a Pinarello
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Traditionalist videogamer - I only play 8-bit video games
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 06:24:03 PM »
Why did Catholic Answers close?
Would you like to shake hands with Pope 1 or Pope 2 -
 me (inspired by Dr Seuss) see: https://seuss.fandom.com/wiki/Thing_One_and_Thing_Two

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.

Offline Non Nobis

• Why are you fearful?
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 07:31:33 PM »

https://forums.catholic.com/c/catholic-living/spirituality/17?page=90

message from the President of Catholic Answers

Dear Members and Patrons of the Catholic Answers Forums

On Thursday December 31 at 5pm PT, Catholic Answers will close the Catholic Answers Forums (CAF). I have made the decision to close the CAF after lengthy consultation with the Catholic Answers executive committee and board of trustees

Because Catholic Answers has limited resources, we are always evaluating our programs to determine if they provide a good return on investment. I understand that the word "good" is interpreted subjectively. Opinions about the merits of the CAF range more widely than those concerning any of our other works. Some find them helpful, others contentious, others find them addictive, and still others find some of the content not suited to an apologetics apostolate and some of the content better suited to private spiritual direction and sacramental confession.

When we add to the inconclusive value of the forums, the significant cost in financial resources and personnel time to host, operate, and to what degree we can, govern them, Catholic Answers can no longer justify the effort. Our attempt to draw even a tenth of what they cost to operate through patronage was not successful. Some regular users of the Forums welcomed user fees. The vast majority wished to make use of the Forums for free. For our part, we need to make the best use we can of the gifts that donors to Catholic Answers give us to spread the Catholic Faith.

Recurring Patron donations will be discontinued on December 31. If you would like to continue supporting the work of Catholic Answers, you can donate here.

Thank you all for your support over the years and God bless.

Christopher Check

President, Catholic Answers

P.S. Please visit www.catholic.com to search the largest database of Catholic answers.

[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

The following users thanked this post: clau clau

Offline Melkor

• Hellebardier
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2021, 10:42:30 AM »
Hello friend!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented."

G.K. Chesterton

Offline Christina_S

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Learning to love the will of God...
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2021, 12:34:32 PM »

https://forums.catholic.com/c/catholic-living/spirituality/17?page=90

message from the President of Catholic Answers

Dear Members and Patrons of the Catholic Answers Forums

On Thursday December 31 at 5pm PT, Catholic Answers will close the Catholic Answers Forums (CAF). I have made the decision to close the CAF after lengthy consultation with the Catholic Answers executive committee and board of trustees

Because Catholic Answers has limited resources, we are always evaluating our programs to determine if they provide a good return on investment. I understand that the word "good" is interpreted subjectively. Opinions about the merits of the CAF range more widely than those concerning any of our other works. Some find them helpful, others contentious, others find them addictive, and still others find some of the content not suited to an apologetics apostolate and some of the content better suited to private spiritual direction and sacramental confession.

When we add to the inconclusive value of the forums, the significant cost in financial resources and personnel time to host, operate, and to what degree we can, govern them, Catholic Answers can no longer justify the effort. Our attempt to draw even a tenth of what they cost to operate through patronage was not successful. Some regular users of the Forums welcomed user fees. The vast majority wished to make use of the Forums for free. For our part, we need to make the best use we can of the gifts that donors to Catholic Answers give us to spread the Catholic Faith.

Recurring Patron donations will be discontinued on December 31. If you would like to continue supporting the work of Catholic Answers, you can donate here.

Thank you all for your support over the years and God bless.

Christopher Check

President, Catholic Answers

P.S. Please visit www.catholic.com to search the largest database of Catholic answers.
In some ways, I find this sad, but in other ways, good riddance. Lots of banned CAF members here  ;)

Anyways, welcome gilbs72!!! Hope you find this a fun hangout!
"You cannot be a half-saint; you must be a whole saint or no saint at all." ~St. Therese of Lisieux

Check out my husband's blog! https://theromanticcatholic.wordpress.com/

Offline Melkor

• Hellebardier
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2021, 02:48:38 PM »
Welcome friend.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost.

"Let a man walk ten miles steadily on a hot summer's day along a dusty English road, and he will soon discover why beer was invented."

G.K. Chesterton