Author Topic: Confused about the Rosary  (Read 585 times)

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Never have been "MiriamB"
  • Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
Re: Confused about the Rosary
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2020, 01:59:26 AM »
This link that was just posted:
http://www.catholictradition.org/main-index.htm

Is also the link that I frequent.  I've been in the process of making a book out of it for my own use.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, FamilyRosary

Offline Iamchristian

• Hellebardier
  • Religion: Christianity
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2020, 06:08:05 AM »
There is one reason why  I say that Lectio Divina is easier than the Rosary.
Lectio Divina let's me think about a certain Bible verse or passage.
The Rosary don't allow me to do this. Also, it includes five Bible passages rather than one.

The Ignatian Lectio Divina let's you go deeper into a Bible passage.
I also don't care much about those Stations of the Cross I have attended. They just went through the Stations without much meditation. This is my experience. Maybe it works for some.
It takes a lot of time for me to pray the Stations of the Cross.
I think the Rosary is also said too fast. One Mystery takes time for me to meditate on. Other people can do this a lot faster. I can't!
I have attended Rosary groups but they said it too fast.
The ten Hail Mary's IS a distraction. Or perhaps one should first say a Hail Mary asking Mary to pray for us and then start the meditation? It makes no sense to use distractions!

The following users thanked this post: Daniel

Offline St.Justin

• Feldwebel
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2020, 11:32:03 AM »
The Rosary don't allow me to do this. Also, it includes five Bible passages rather than one.

I also don't care much about those Stations of the Cross I have attended. They just went through the Stations without much meditation. This is my experience. Maybe it works for some.
I think the Rosary is also said too fast. One Mystery takes time for me to meditate on. Other people can do this a lot faster. I can't!
The ten Hail Mary's IS a distraction. Or perhaps one should first say a Hail Mary asking Mary to pray for us and then start the meditation? It makes no sense to use distractions!

Prayers should never be considered a distraction. I really recommend the book "The Way of the Pilgrim". It will help you resolve your problems

Offline FamilyRosary

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2020, 12:15:48 PM »

The Rosary is Biblical. All 15 mysteries are rooted in the Bible. You should try reading each corresponding Biblical passage before beginning to pray the mystery. I did that when I first started to regularly pray the Rosary and within a few months I practically had those passages memorized.

I agree with what you say about praying the Rosary in group, before Mass for example. It's like walking or eating with a group; they go faster or slower than what one is accustomed to. However, praying together with others brings a series of extra benefits that one does not get when praying alone.

In his book The Secret of the Rosary you can read St. Louis Marie de Montfort’s list of group Rosary benefits...

Normally, our minds are far more alert during public prayer than when we pray alone.
    When we pray in common, the prayer of each one belongs to all. We make one great prayer together, so that if one person is not praying well, someone else in the same gathering who prays better may make up for his deficiency. In this way, those who are strong uphold the weak. Those who are fervent inspire the lukewarm.
    One who says his Rosary alone only gains the merit of that one Rosary. But if he says it together with others, he gains the merit of each Rosary. This is the law of public prayer.
    Public prayer is far more powerful than private prayer, to appease the anger of God, and to call down His mercy. Holy Mother Church, guided by the Holy Ghost, has always advocated public prayer in times of public tragedy and suffering.
    If the faithful pray five decades of the Rosary in company with others, whether in public or private, they may gain an indulgence of ten years, once a day. A plenary indulgence can be gained on the last Sunday of the month – with the addition of detachment from venial sin, confession, Communion, a visit to the church and prayers for the intentions of the Pope – if they perform such recitation at least three times in any of the preceding weeks. (From the older version of the Raccolta)

from http://www.how-to-pray-the-rosary-everyday.com/group-rosary.html

I imagine the same benefits apply to working the Via Crucis or participating in a procession or any other public prayer. If in public prayer I suffer from any distractions I simply offer it up to God and ask Him to help me concentrate, well aware that the act of public worship is pleasing to God.
The family that prays together stays together.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne

Offline FamilyRosary

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2020, 12:24:02 PM »

Is also the link that I frequent.  I've been in the process of making a book out of it for my own use.

I printed out the Rosary pictures, put them in plastic sleeves, and put the plastic sleeves in a binder. I also have other prayers and images in the binder. It's like a portable home altar/prayer book I can carry with me wherever I go. If it ever got destroyed or lost, I could just print it all out again.
The family that prays together stays together.

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Never have been "MiriamB"
  • Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2020, 12:30:43 PM »

I printed out the Rosary pictures, put them in plastic sleeves, and put the plastic sleeves in a binder. I also have other prayers and images in the binder. It's like a portable home altar/prayer book I can carry with me wherever I go. If it ever got destroyed or lost, I could just print it all out again.

Yep.  Ditto here.

You know, beauty means something, spiritually. The reason I both appreciate beautiful images when others share them with me, and the reason I most often look for them, is that they help lift my mind to God.  God draws us to Himself in many ways, and beauty is one of the most important ways, while not the only way. 

Offline Tennessean

• Hellebardier
  • Religion: Christian
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2021, 11:22:43 PM »
Are the luminous mysteries part of the rosary?

Offline mikemac

• Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2021, 11:48:02 PM »
Are the luminous mysteries part of the rosary?

If you want them to be.  If you don't they aren't.   :)
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

The following users thanked this post: Tennessean