Author Topic: Confused about the Rosary  (Read 584 times)

Offline Iamchristian

• Hellebardier
  • Religion: Christianity
Confused about the Rosary
« on: December 29, 2020, 05:09:27 PM »
I find that it can take some time to learn how to pray the rosary. One have to focus on both the Hail Mary's and the Mysteries at the same time. With the Annunciation this is easy. I like to meditate without the distraction of the Hail Mary's. Perhaps many people can easily relate the Hail Mary's to each mysteries.
 I find it to be a bit of a distraction. I have even heard that one should just recite the prayer without focusing on it.

The Rosary is not that easy to pray for some of us. Maybe the rosary is easier without the ten Hail Mary's?
Maybe it is supposed to be a bit difficult?
I have said the Rosary but needed books with texts that had words added to the Hail Mary's. It takes time to learn how to relate the ten Hail Mary's to the meditation. Lectio Divina seem easier. Often times the Rosary is said really fast. You have no chance to focus on the mysteries. Why is this?
Why do people like to focus on many things at the same time?

I don't like the "one size fits all" attitude. The Rosary os really not that easy for me as many say.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2020, 05:19:41 PM by Iamchristian »

The following users thanked this post: Daniel

Offline mikemac

• Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Confused about the Rosary
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2020, 05:24:13 PM »
You might want to try using the Scriptural Rosary.  Say a verse from the Bible that is related to the Mystery before each Hail Mary.  I find it helps thinking about the Mystery and my mind doesn't wonder off.  Just click the Mystery under Scripturally Based Rosary for the scriptural verses for the Mystery you are on.

https://www.rosarycenter.org/homepage-2/rosary/how-to-pray-the-rosary/
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

Offline Iamchristian

• Hellebardier
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 06:00:52 PM »
You might want to try using the Scriptural Rosary.  Say a verse from the Bible that is related to the Mystery before each Hail Mary.  I find it helps thinking about the Mystery and my mind doesn't wonder off.  Just click the Mystery under Scripturally Based Rosary for the scriptural verses for the Mystery you are on.

Can you pray the Rosary without all the Hail Mary's?
They are the distraction. I cannot focus on both the Hail Mary's and the mysteries at the same time.
Lectio Divina has less distractions and seem easier.

The following users thanked this post: Daniel

Offline mikemac

• Hauptmann
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 08:40:27 PM »
I don't think it would be a Rosary without the Hail Marys.

You don't need to focus on both at the same time with a scriptural Rosary.

You can't focus on two things at the same time anyway.  After each Hail Mary just think of something to do with the Mystery that you are on.  For instance, the Fourth Sorrowful Mystery; Hail Mary, Jesus takes up His cross, Hail Mary, Jesus falls for the first time, etc.

I have been praying the Scriptural Rosary, but there is also "Praying the Rosary Without Distractions" which gives you a line to think about between Hail Marys, with an image for each decade.  There's also the "Stained Glass" version.

It's not difficult and just takes a couple of minutes longer.  Once you get used to it I think you would like it. 
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

Offline Non Nobis

• Why are you fearful?
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 11:50:47 PM »
I don't know if "real Catholics" say the Rosary with Youtube, but I have done so, and a group of people I was with used this Scriptural Rosary for assistance.  One person on the video reads a bit of Scripture while all others are quiet, and then all say the next prayer, and then repeat.  Everyone thought it was very helpful to reduce distractions.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

The following users thanked this post: mikemac

Online Philip G.

• Wachtmeister
  • Ordinary Cult
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 02:30:49 AM »
I find that it can take some time to learn how to pray the rosary. One have to focus on both the Hail Mary's and the Mysteries at the same time. With the Annunciation this is easy. I like to meditate without the distraction of the Hail Mary's. Perhaps many people can easily relate the Hail Mary's to each mysteries.
 I find it to be a bit of a distraction. I have even heard that one should just recite the prayer without focusing on it.

The Rosary is not that easy to pray for some of us. Maybe the rosary is easier without the ten Hail Mary's?
I have said the Rosary but needed books with texts that had words added to the Hail Mary's. It takes time to learn how to relate the ten Hail Mary's to the meditation. Lectio Divina seem easier. Often times the Rosary is said really fast. You have no chance to focus on the mysteries. Why is this?

I don't like the "one size fits all" attitude. The Rosary os really not that easy for me as many say.

Catholics are not required to pray the rosary to be "on the team".  It is only Taylor Marshall requiring that. 
For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

The following users thanked this post: Daniel, Chestertonian

Offline Stubborn

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 05:58:25 AM »

Have you ever had music playing while driving or working? Praying the Rosary is similar. +Fellay described it the best imo when he said something along the lines of; "the prayers recited during the rosary are likened to a symphony playing softly in the background while we meditate on the mysteries". Perhaps someone has the actual quote as I am sure he said it way better.

People do two or more things at the same time all the time - most (all?) woman are especially good at this.     

If you cannot do it now, then just pray the rosary as best as you can and you will find that in time, it becomes easier to to both. You may never reach perfect concentration on both, so what - then again you may.

While he does not actually focus on the rosary, here's a short sermon on distractions in our prayers - we all suffer from them.

Even after a long life of sin, if the Christian receives the Sacrament of the dying with the appropriate dispositions, he will go straight to heaven without having to go to purgatory. - Fr. M. Philipon; This sacrament prepares man for glory immediately, since it is given to those who are departing from this life. - St. Thomas Aquinas; It washes away the sins that remain to be atoned, and the vestiges of sin; it comforts and strengthens the soul of the sick person, arousing in him a great trust and confidence in the divine mercy. Thus strengthened, he bears the hardships and struggles of his illness more easily and resists the temptation of the devil and the heel of the deceiver more readily; and if it be advantageous to the welfare of his soul, he sometimes regains his bodily health. - Council of Trent

Offline Iamchristian

• Hellebardier
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2020, 06:27:48 AM »

Have you ever had music playing while driving or working? Praying the Rosary is similar. +Fellay described it the best imo when he said something along the lines of; "the prayers recited during the rosary are likened to a symphony playing softly in the background while we meditate on the mysteries". Perhaps someone has the actual quote as I am sure he said it way better.

People do two or more things at the same time all the time - most (all?) woman are especially good at this.     

If you cannot do it now, then just pray the rosary as best as you can and you will find that in time, it becomes easier to to both. You may never reach perfect concentration on both, so what - then again you may.

While he does not actually focus on the rosary, here's a short sermon on distractions in our prayers - we all suffer from them.

So the trick is to say the Hail Mary's without gocusing on it.? Like mindless repetition? I find this to be very difficult.
If I am not supposed to focus on the Hail Mary's why should I say them?
This is why I stopped saying the Rosary. It made no sense to me at all.
Repeating some words and thinking with other words is difficult for me? Are people just assuming that all people are good at this? Then people don t know much about psychology.
This is why I rather practice Lectio Divina.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 06:34:26 AM by Iamchristian »

Offline Stubborn

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 07:38:48 AM »
You said in the OP "that it can take some time to learn how to pray the rosary", so, take the time and learn how. I completely agree with Fr. Hesse who said praying 15 decades everyday virtually guarantees living in the state of grace. It is worth learning.   
Even after a long life of sin, if the Christian receives the Sacrament of the dying with the appropriate dispositions, he will go straight to heaven without having to go to purgatory. - Fr. M. Philipon; This sacrament prepares man for glory immediately, since it is given to those who are departing from this life. - St. Thomas Aquinas; It washes away the sins that remain to be atoned, and the vestiges of sin; it comforts and strengthens the soul of the sick person, arousing in him a great trust and confidence in the divine mercy. Thus strengthened, he bears the hardships and struggles of his illness more easily and resists the temptation of the devil and the heel of the deceiver more readily; and if it be advantageous to the welfare of his soul, he sometimes regains his bodily health. - Council of Trent

The following users thanked this post: Padraig

Offline Iamchristian

• Hellebardier
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 08:45:57 AM »
You said in the OP "that it can take some time to learn how to pray the rosary", so, take the time and learn how. I completely agree with Fr. Hesse who said praying 15 decades everyday virtually guarantees living in the state of grace. It is worth learning.   
Is the Rosary more important than Lectio Divina?
If I have to choose between them which one is more important?
Is it just up to me to decide which one I choose?
Could it be that Lectio Divina is easier for me and I should choose it? If I have trouble with the ten Hail Mary's then I just simply choose Lectio Divina?
Is it that simple?
Lectio Divina seem to be more difficult for most people as most people like the repetition of the ten Hail Mary's.
Some of us just don't care much about this kind of repetition so Lectio Divina is easier, rigjt?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 08:50:13 AM by Iamchristian »

Offline Stubborn

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 09:28:24 AM »
Is the Rosary more important than Lectio Divina?
If I have to choose between them which one is more important?
Is it just up to me to decide which one I choose?
Could it be that Lectio Divina is easier for me and I should choose it? If I have trouble with the ten Hail Mary's then I just simply choose Lectio Divina?
Is it that simple?
Lectio Divina seem to be more difficult for most people as most people like the repetition of the ten Hail Mary's.
Some of us just don't care much about this kind of repetition so Lectio Divina is easier, rigjt?

Whatever difficulties you have, the rosary is a prayer that is something very special to Our Blessed Mother, and so in time, it becomes very special to all who pray it consistently I think.

Reading Scripture is certainly good, although many people find that's a very difficult book to understand, but heck, it's easy enough to do both. But to substitute one for the other is a choice. Imo, if you're going to read the bible, the  Haydock Bible with all it's footnotes is the one to read so that you more easily understand it according to the mind of the Church.

Offline Padraig

• Korporal
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 12:21:23 PM »

The rosary is not hard to learn: it's three sets of mysteries, 5 to each one, and basic prayers that all Christians know by heart. Small children regularly learn it without difficulty. Learning to pray it well takes practice, as other posters have mentioned. It seems to me that your biggest difficulty is coming from being too much "in your head," and not engaging the rest of your soul.

The vocal prayer and the interior meditation are two parallel tracks that engage your will, your heart, and your intellect, all at once. The act of praying out loud occupies your will, excluding other activities. The words of the prayer engage your heart, elevating it to God, and predisposing you to his grace. The meditation on the mysteries occupies your mind, filling it with divine thoughts and dismissing worldly concerns.

Try not to think of it as "focusing on the Hail Mary's at the same time as the mysteries." Try to engage your whole soul, with each faculty focused on their own individual task. It's like walking and singing at the same time vs trying to sing two songs at once: yes, you're doing two things at once, but it's different parts of your soul that are doing those different tasks, so it's not "splitting you're mind," so to speak.

[Edited for grammar]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 02:13:33 PM by Padraig »

The following users thanked this post: Michael Wilson, diaduit, paul14, FamilyRosary

Offline Padraig

• Korporal
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 12:46:53 PM »
So the trick is to say the Hail Mary's without gocusing on it.? Like mindless repetition? I find this to be very difficult.
If I am not supposed to focus on the Hail Mary's why should I say them?

Meditating on the words of the Hail Mary is a good and useful thing to do, but that's not the express purpose of saying the Rosary. Ideally, you have done that at other times, and now your heart has been ingrained with the words, and it is able to go back to that meditation subconsciously, not requiring active meditation on the words themselves.

It's like a golf swing (or swinging a bat, or kicking a football, or whatever sport of choice you'd prefer): you practice your swing beforehand, perfect it, and have it deeply ingrained in your muscle memory. When you go to play a round of golf, you're not supposed to be thinking about your swing itself, but instead you use your previous practice to make your swing do what you want it to do for your golf shot without having to think about it.

The trick is not focus on the Hail Mary's with your mind, but with your heart. Because you know it by heart, and have meditated on it at other times, you don't have to think about it. (It's in your spiritual muscle memory.)

So no, it's not "mindless repetition." (Is a professional golfer just mindlessly swinging his club? No. Does he have to actively think about each aspect of his swing during each shot? No. He's instead focused on where he wants the ball to go.) It's a practical tool to focus your heart and will, while your mind is occupied on the mysteries.

This is why I stopped saying the Rosary. It made no sense to me at all.
Repeating some words and thinking with other words is difficult for me? Are people just assuming that all people are good at this? Then people don t know much about psychology.
Religion is not psychology.

This is why I rather practice Lectio Divina.
Then do that. But recognize that it's not the fault of rosary that stops it from being fruitful for you.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Maximilian, Michael Wilson, paul14, FamilyRosary

Offline St.Justin

• Feldwebel
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2020, 03:46:13 PM »
There are 3 types of prayer: pettiton, adoration and Thanksgiviing.
There are 2 methods of praying: Contemplative and active
The three highest forms of prayer: The Mass, The Divine Office and the Rosary with ALL having a rightful place in ones Spiritual life.

I mentioned a good book in another post. It is called "The Way of the Pilgrim". It is at the top of my list to learn how to pray and pray unceasingly.

You worry too much 

The following users thanked this post: Michael Wilson, FamilyRosary

Offline FamilyRosary

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2020, 04:30:28 PM »
Padraig, those two posts of yours in this thread are outstanding. Thank you for taking the time to compose and post them.

St. Justin also nailed it, "You worry too much." The practice of Catholicism is not difficult to understand, hundreds of millions of people have practiced the Faith over the past two thousand years, most of them illiterate or semi-literate at best. I've talked to such people and it's amazing how much theological insight they often have, and all without ever having poured over manuals of theology and papal encyclicals.

I wonder what causes the tendency to overthink and over analyze everything. I'm guilty of it myself at times. Might it come from insecurity about one's own abilities or intentions? Or is it the result of too much formal education? Or too much reading? I can't help but appreciate the fresh simplicity of supposedly uneducated people who grasp complex ideas without necessarily knowing all of the technical terms and "big words" associated with them.

Iamchristian, please just take a step back and approach the Rosary and other traditional practices with an open mind. Read the advice on this thread and talk to other people who pray the Rosary and find out how they do it. I myself use either the second or third methods of St. Louis de Montfort as explained in his book, Secret of the Rosary. It can be downloaded for free in many different languages, I have a shortened version called "Methods for Praying the Holy Rosary". The great Marian saint gives five methods for praying the Rosary while meditating on the mystery for each decade that I find helps keep me focused. I also use a set of traditional images, one for each mystery, which I downloaded from a well-known traditional website. Using the Montfort method plus looking at the image helps me stay on track with each mystery. As Stubborn said above, the actual recitation of the prayer is like a musical accompaniment for the meditation, although every so often I focus on the prayer itself instead of the mystery, especially when I'm saying the Our Father at the beginning of each decade and the Glory Be and Fatima Prayer at the end.

This website has galleries of traditional images you can download for free. I especially like the galleries that say "pictures for children." I use the Fifteen Mysteries of the Rosary in Pictures for Children for my meditations.

Website main page: http://www.catholictradition.org/main-index.htm

Galleries: http://www.catholictradition.org/Galleries/gallery-one.htm
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 06:21:10 PM by FamilyRosary »
The family that prays together stays together.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Padraig, Michael Wilson