Author Topic: Resources on magnanimity?  (Read 411 times)

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
  • Religion: Catholic
Resources on magnanimity?
« on: December 24, 2020, 04:16:29 PM »
Does anyone have any good resources on the virtue of magnanimity,?  Be it a YouTube video, book, etc?

Especially where it relates to humility.  And with a handling of the practical practice of it. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Daniel, Blue Violet

Offline Geremia

• Feldwebel
    • St. Isidore e-book library
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: Resources on magnanimity?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 07:26:22 PM »
Fr. Antonio Royo Marín, O.P., Theology of Christian Perfection p. 428:
There is no contradiction between the virtue of humility and the virtue of magnanimity, which impels one to great things, because both, as virtues, function according to the rule of right reason, but from different points of view.29
29. Cf. II-II q. 161 a. 1 ad 2:
humility, in so far as it is a virtue, conveys the notion of a praiseworthy self-abasement to the lowest place…this is done by an inward movement of the soul, and in this way, properly speaking, humility is reckoned a virtue, because virtue does not consist externals, but chiefly in the inward choice of the mind
; a. 4 ad 3
Although humility and magnanimity agree as to matter, they differ as to mode, by reason of which magnanimity is reckoned a part of fortitude, and humility a part of temperance.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Maximilian, Blue Violet

Offline james03

• Hauptmann
  • The Brutal Clarity of a Winter Morning
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 02:21:40 PM »
Pieper.  "The Four Cardinal Virtues", under humility, which is under Temperance.  I'm almost certain he discusses it in "On Hope" also.  Pieper was the one who opened my eyes that only a humble man can be Magnanimous. 

Humility is you being honest with yourself.  This allows you to improve and also shows you where your limits are.  After that is established you are set to do great things in the world, up to your limits.  Maybe you have low IQ and work a simple job.  For you Magnanimity would mean showing up for work on time and doing excellent work.  Humility is needed to see this.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

The following users thanked this post: MundaCorMeum

Offline Geremia

• Feldwebel
    • St. Isidore e-book library
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 04:50:42 PM »
Humility is you being honest with yourself.
Yes, humility is truth, as Fr. da Bergamo says in Humility of Heart.
He says this about magnanimity:
33. Humility is not a sickly virtue, timid and feeble as some imagine; on the contrary, it is strong, magnanimous, generous and constant, because it is founded on truth and justice. The truth consists in knowing What God is and what we are. Justice consists in our recognizing that God as our Creator has a right to command us, and that we as His creatures are bound to obey Him.
Yes, "humility…is magnanimous".

The following users thanked this post: Maximilian

Offline james03

• Hauptmann
  • The Brutal Clarity of a Winter Morning
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2020, 12:26:11 AM »
For practicality, spend time recognizing that life is great, and that you want to make the most of it.
"But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God (Jn 3:18)."

"All sorrow leads to the foot of the Cross.  Weep for your sins."

"Although He should kill me, I will trust in Him"

Online christulsa

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
    • The Okie Traditionalist Blog
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 06:13:11 PM »
Moral Philosophy, by Fr. Joseph Rickabay (Thomist), originally published 1888.  Chapter on Fortitude, pp. 58-59 discusses Magnanimity.  Free with Kindle. 

https://www.amazon.com/Moral-Philosophy-S-J-Joseph-Rickaby-ebook/dp/B00848YLFK

Summary of his points:

1. The magnanimous man without virtue, humility, and grace tends towards a satanic level of pride and vanity.

2. But magnanimity is a paradox in the Christian man:  at the same time the man recognizes the greatness in himself given to him by God, but simultaneously that compared to God as a creature he is nothing.   He freely accepts unfair insults about himself knowing he deserves them as a punishment for sin, but at the same time knows that logically speaking they are undeserved. 

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf, Lynne, MundaCorMeum