Author Topic: why is the woman at the well included in the Nativity crib.  (Read 476 times)

Offline diaduit

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic
why is the woman at the well included in the Nativity crib.
« on: December 15, 2020, 01:46:41 AM »
As per title, I have my crib set up and each year I wonder why the woman at the well is part of my figurine set.  She was from a past book, the first person Jesus met on his way back from 40 days in the desert (I could be wrong on this) or certainly at the beginning of his public life.....so why is she in the crib?

Offline Stubborn

• Wachtmeister
Re: why is the woman at the well included in the Nativity crib.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 05:42:49 AM »
Why is the woman at the well included in the Nativity crib? The answer is, she isn't. Where did you get the idea she is?

In my lifetime, the woman at the well, St. Lucina, has never been a part of the Nativity Scene.

There is Our Blessed Mother, St. Joseph, the Baby Jesus, the Three Wise Men, and a Shepherd Boy carrying a lamb around his neck. Also a few barn animals i.e. sheep, cow, donkey, etc.   
Even after a long life of sin, if the Christian receives the Sacrament of the dying with the appropriate dispositions, he will go straight to heaven without having to go to purgatory. - Fr. M. Philipon; This sacrament prepares man for glory immediately, since it is given to those who are departing from this life. - St. Thomas Aquinas; It washes away the sins that remain to be atoned, and the vestiges of sin; it comforts and strengthens the soul of the sick person, arousing in him a great trust and confidence in the divine mercy. Thus strengthened, he bears the hardships and struggles of his illness more easily and resists the temptation of the devil and the heel of the deceiver more readily; and if it be advantageous to the welfare of his soul, he sometimes regains his bodily health. - Council of Trent

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, St.Justin, Blue Violet

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 09:24:14 AM »
I don't have a nativity set so I don't know. But not everything about the nativity scene is supposed to be historically accurate.

My guess would be, maybe it has something to do with the epiphany (epiphany water / the gentiles / etc.)?

Offline aquinas138

• Wachtmeister
  • Παναγία Τριάς, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2020, 11:07:57 AM »
Are we sure that's who the figurine is? It could be a midwife or something; in Byzantine icons of the Nativity, there are often women depicted washing the Christ child, so they might be carrying water jugs. Some of the extra-biblical stories of the Nativity mention these women.
O Mary most pure, golden censer that became the tabernacle of the uncontainable divinity, in you the Father was well pleased; in you the Son did dwell; and the Holy Spirit, by overshadowing you, revealed you to be the Birthgiver of God.

The following users thanked this post: MundaCorMeum

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 11:31:46 AM »
I have a woman at a well in my creche set, too, but I remember reading her description that came with the box, and she isn't THE woman at the well.  I'll go read it again today, and come back and update.

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Lynne, diaduit, aquinas138, Blue Violet

Offline diaduit

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 06:50:16 PM »
any luck munda ?

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 11:46:38 AM »
any luck munda ?

Yes!  Thank you for the reminder.  I keep my Advent/Christmas stuff in my laundry room, so every time I went in there to find my nativity box, I got distracted by the mountains of laundry 😂. I've attached the description with her story. Her name is Ariel.

The following users thanked this post: Stubborn, maryslittlegarden, mikemac, Daniel, diaduit, Blue Violet

Offline diaduit

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 12:17:22 PM »
oh thank you Munda  :) :) :) :) :)

Offline MaximGun

• Hellebardier
  • Religion: Trad Catholic
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 04:41:11 PM »
No well, no well, no well, no well.

Born is the King of Israel.

The following users thanked this post: Stubborn, maryslittlegarden, clau clau, MundaCorMeum, Blue Violet

Offline mikemac

• Hauptmann
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2020, 05:47:35 PM »
any luck munda ?

Yes!  Thank you for the reminder.  I keep my Advent/Christmas stuff in my laundry room, so every time I went in there to find my nativity box, I got distracted by the mountains of laundry 😂. I've attached the description with her story. Her name is Ariel.

Nice.  But you sparked my curiosity.  "... for I am" and the page ends.  Who was the old woman that Ariel gave the water to?  An angel?
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

The following users thanked this post: Daniel

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2020, 07:11:21 PM »
I'd like to know too! Couldn't find anything about her on the Internet. Kind of wondering whether it's a real tradition. But I still want to know how the story ends.

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2020, 11:29:52 PM »
Just a little Christmas anticipation for y'all 😉 I didn't realize until after my post that the story continued on the back 🤦. I just kind of quickly posted the pic without reading it thoroughly.  Anyway....here is the rest of the story.

The following users thanked this post: Daniel

Offline mikemac

• Hauptmann
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2020, 01:28:25 AM »
"... for I am" "your Tikvah."  Nice.  I won't spoil it for anyone else that wants to read it.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

The following users thanked this post: MundaCorMeum