Question about vocations

Started by Daniel, December 08, 2020, 12:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daniel

How specific are vocations?

If I am called to be married, does it matter who I marry?
Or if I am called to be a religious, does it matter which religious order or which community I join?

Philip G.

I believe matrimony is translated "the office of the mother".

The sacrament of orders is dependent on the bishop. 

The two pillars(man made yet approved by God) of the church are the monk and the nun.  They are distinct and independent of the bishop and the mother. 

With that said, what woman calls you to matrimony certainly matters.  And, what bishop calls you to orders matters.

If your religious order is governed by a priest, your religious order is governed by a bishop.  It is an inescapable fact.  That is a conflict of interest in my opinion.  And, it is the reason why modern religious orders going back 1000 years are in such poor shape.  The monk has talents that those in orders do not have.  To be directly subject to those in orders, when they have their own arena elsewhere, namely the governing of the laity the celebration of the sacraments, is a travesty. 

God has mercy on the widow and the fatherless.

For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

nmoerbeek

Quote from: Daniel on December 08, 2020, 12:10:52 PM
How specific are vocations?

If I am called to be married, does it matter who I marry?
Or if I am called to be a religious, does it matter which religious order or which community I join?

1)  Every answer here will be opinion.  There are a broad range of opinions on the matter even from Spiritual Masters such as: St. Bernard, St. Thomas and St. Alphonsus.  My opinion is that they are specific.

2)  Yes, it matters very much who you marry.  It would be better to die than to even agree to a marriage with someone who would drag you morally down to hell.

3)  Yes, it matters what community you join.  It would be better to die than to join a community that would you down into hell. 

Bad company matters, it must be avoided.  People do become corrupted, and if we are married or in the community then we must do our best to see our vows through, but to voluntarily choose to put your soul at risk is a bad choice.
"Let me, however, beg of Your Beatitude...
not to think so much of what I have written, as of my good and kind intentions. Please look for the truths of which I speak rather than for beauty of expression. Where I do not come up to your expectations, pardon me, and put my shortcomings down, please, to lack of time and stress of business." St. Bonaventure, From the Preface of Holiness of Life.

Apostolate:
http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com/
Contributor:
http://unamsanctamcatholicam.blogspot.com/
Lay Association:
http://www.militiatempli.net/

Michael Wilson

If you live in the state of grace; keep a life of prayer and receive the sacraments frequently; that will "T.C.B." i.e. "Take Care of Business" i.e. Your eternal salvation;  Pray to Our Blessed Mother and St. Joseph to lead you to that state of life that God wills for you; this is where your salvation will be more secure and the salvation of others may also depend on.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers