Author Topic: Transference of the Observation of the Holy Souls Indulgence  (Read 268 times)

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
  • Religion: Catholic
Transference of the Observation of the Holy Souls Indulgence
« on: November 21, 2020, 03:21:20 PM »
Did we cover this topic at all on the Forum?

Due to the COVID19 'pandemic', the bishops petitioned Rome to permit transference of the cemetery visiting for the indulgences for the Poor Souls (traditionally, Nov 1-8).  Apparently, this was to lessen the gathering of crowds in the cemeteries, or something (I'm not familiar with COVID protocols in Europe/abroad). 

As a result, the plenary indulgence for visiting a cemetery and praying for the dead can be done on any day of the month (but, to my reading, can still only be done 8 times for the plenary indulgence), and can be chosen by the faithful.  The plenary indulgence of Nov 2, as well, can be observed on any day in November, so long as you still "do the deeds" required of the indulgence. 

We have 9 days left in November.  If you didn't observe this back in Nov 1-8, maybe try to do so for the Poor Souls of your family, your parish, or your neighborhood. 

https://press.vatican.va/content/salastampa/it/bollettino/pubblico/2020/10/23/0545/01264.html
DECREE

This year, in the current contingencies due to the "covid-19" pandemic,
the plenary indulgences for the deceased faithful will be extended for the whole month of November,
with adaptation of the works and conditions to ensure the safety of the faithful.

This Apostolic Penitentiary received not a few pleas from Sacred Shepherds who asked that this year, due to the "covid-19" epidemic, the pious works be commuted to achieve the plenary indulgences applicable to the souls in Purgatory, in accordance with of the Manual of Indulgences (conc. 29, § 1). For this reason the Apostolic Penitentiary, on the special mandate of His Holiness Pope Francis, willingly establishes and decides that this year, to avoid gatherings where they were prohibited:

a.- the plenary indulgence for those who visit a cemetery and pray for the dead even if only mentally, normally established only on the individual days from 1 to 8 November, can be transferred to other days of the same month until its end. These days, freely chosen by the individual faithful, can also be separated from each other;

b- the plenary indulgence of November 2, established on the occasion of the commemoration of all the faithful departed for those who piously visit a church or an oratory and recite the "Our Father" and the "Creed" there, can be transferred not only to Sunday preceding or following or on the day of the solemnity of All Saints, but also on another day of the month of November, at the free choice of the individual faithful.

The elderly, the sick and all those who for serious reasons cannot leave the house, for example due to restrictions imposed by the competent authority for the time of a pandemic, in order to prevent numerous faithful crowding into the sacred places, will be able to achieve the Plenary indulgence provided that, spiritually uniting with all the other faithful, completely detached from sin and with the intention of complying as soon as possible with the three usual conditions (sacramental confession, Eucharistic communion and prayer according to the intentions of the Holy Father), in front of an image of Jesus or of the Blessed Virgin Mary, recite pious prayers for the dead, for example Lauds and Vespers of the Office of the Dead, the Marian Rosary, the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, other prayers for the dead dear to the faithful,or entertain themselves in the meditated reading of one of the Gospel passages proposed by the liturgy of the dead, or carry out a work of mercy by offering God the pains and hardships of their lives.

For an easier attainment of divine grace through pastoral charity, this penitentiary earnestly prays that all priests endowed with the appropriate faculties, offer themselves with particular generosity to the celebration of the sacrament of Penance and administer Holy Communion to the sick.

However, as regards the spiritual conditions for fully achieving the Indulgence, we remind you to refer to the indications already issued in the note "Regarding the Sacrament of Penance in the current pandemic situation", issued by this Apostolic Penitentiary on March 19, 2020.

Finally, since the souls in Purgatory are helped by the suffrages of the faithful and especially with the sacrifice of the Altar pleasing to God (cf. Conc. Tr. Sess. XXV, decr. De Purgatorio), all priests are warmly invited to celebrate three times the Holy Mass on the day of the commemoration of all the faithful departed, in accordance with the Apostolic Constitution "Incruentum Altaris", issued by Pope Benedict XV, of venerable memory, on 10 August 1915.

This Decree is valid for the whole month of November. Notwithstanding any provision to the contrary.

Given in Rome, from the headquarters of the Apostolic Penitentiary, on 22 October 2020, in memory of Saint John Paul II.

Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The following users thanked this post: mikemac, moneil

Offline mikemac

• Hauptmann
Re: Transference of the Observation of the Holy Souls Indulgence
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 03:36:36 PM »
It was mentioned in this thread, but it's good to have another reminder.

Anybody interested in doing a devotion for November for the Holy Souls?
http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=24676.msg516743#msg516743
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

The following users thanked this post: Lynne

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 03:40:11 PM »
It was mentioned in this thread, but it's good to have another reminder.

Anybody interested in doing a devotion for November for the Holy Souls?
http://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=24676.msg516743#msg516743
Oh excellent! 

I’m glad to see this.   Thanks! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Offline Elizabeth.2

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 04:43:43 PM »
Woah go0d to see this ~