Offline Justin Martyr

• Slave of Mary
  • Hellebardier
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Howdy
« on: October 20, 2020, 01:20:17 PM »
What brings you to SD?

Figured I might as well stop lurking.

Are you a member of other Internet fora?  If so, care to mention which one(s)?

I've lurked fish eaters and the orthodox christianity forums. And I use to be pretty active on civfanatics, specifically civ4 S&T

Why did you choose your username and avatar?

St. Justin Martyr is my confirmation Saint. Haven't picked an avatar yet

What is your state of life - single, married, religious, or still discerning?

Married

Whereabouts do you live "in real life"? (be as specific or as general as you wish!)

East-Central Alabama

Personality type?

Introverted, Melancholic, Passionate

Favorite books?

The Consolation of Philosophy, We the Living, The Pentateuch, and the Gospel of St. John.

Favorite movies?

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, McLintock, and The Cowboys

Favorite TV shows?

Madoka Magica, Lost Song, Star Trek: Deep Space 9, Star Trek: Enterprise, and Star Trek: The Original Series

Favorite sports/teams

Chariot Racing, the Blue Deme

Have any hobbies?

Does Crusader Kings II count?

Pet peeves:

Odd numbers aside from 5 or a multiple of 5, heresy

Fun random fact about yourself:

Does scrupulosity count? I don't think I'm scrupulous personally, but I've had priests ask multiple times with a slightly exasperated tone for me to just confess the mortal sins before, while I'm going down a list of sins I thought were all mortal! So who knows lol.

Unrelated question to all this, but why does it designate me as a hellebardier under my name?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 08:04:22 PM by Justin Martyr »
QVICVMQVE•VVLT•SALVVS•ESSE•ANTE•OMNIA•
OPVS•EST•VT•TENEAT•CATHOLICAM•FIDEM

QVAM•NISI•QVISQVE•INTEGRAM•INVIOLATAMQVE•
SERVAVERIT•ABSQVE•DVBIO•IN•ÆTERNAM•PERIBIT

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Howdy
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2020, 02:20:02 PM »
Introverted melancholic?  Yeah, you're definitely scrupulous  ;)

Welcome to forum!

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2020, 03:48:50 PM »
 :toth:
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2020, 05:13:03 PM »
Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you joined and I hope that you will be a regular contributor.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Offline Lynne

• Thankful to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2020, 05:48:14 PM »

Unrelated question to all this, but why does it designate me as a hellebardier under my name?

Welcome!

That is the level of German(?) soldier(?) that you're at. As you post more, you'll move up in rank.  ::)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

The following users thanked this post: Michael Wilson

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 06:10:35 PM »

Welcome!

That is the level of German(?) soldier(?) that you're at. As you post more, you'll move up in rank.  ::)

Nein! Das stimmt nicht!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_Guard
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

The following users thanked this post: KonservativerKatholik

Offline Lynne

• Thankful to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 06:58:48 PM »

Welcome!

Nein! Das stimmt nicht!

Oops! Thanks, Heinrich.  :cheeseheadbeer:
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich

Offline Non Nobis

• Why are you fearful?
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 07:34:59 PM »

Welcome!

Nein! Das stimmt nicht!

Good thing we are just using their rankings. Otherwise we'd all have to be young unmarried Swiss men. In 2009 they said they'd consider women, but I don't see evidence of that happening.  And we are generally traditionalists,  and would disapprove. We would also have a problem fully supporting the current pope (or accepting him, in some cases!)

Welcome to SD Justin Martyr! It is not as impressive as the Swiss Guard, but we fight for the Catholic Church here too, in our less colorful way.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Offline mikemac

• Hauptmann
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 08:31:10 PM »
Welcome.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

Offline Justin Martyr

• Slave of Mary
  • Hellebardier
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2020, 07:56:26 AM »
Introverted melancholic?  Yeah, you're definitely scrupulous  ;)

Welcome to forum!

Heh, thanks for the warm welcome!  ;D

Welcome!

Nein! Das stimmt nicht!

Good thing we are just using their rankings. Otherwise we'd all have to be young unmarried Swiss men. In 2009 they said they'd consider women, but I don't see evidence of that happening.  And we are generally traditionalists,  and would disapprove. We would also have a problem fully supporting the current pope (or accepting him, in some cases!)

Welcome to SD Justin Martyr! It is not as impressive as the Swiss Guard, but we fight for the Catholic Church here too, in our less colorful way.

For what y'all lack in physical color you make up for though infinite arguements! Atleast, thats been my impression lurking lol. Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome!

Ah ok. That makes sense. Thanks for the welcome!

Welcome to the forum! I'm glad you joined and I hope that you will be a regular contributor.

Thank you! I appreciate the sentiment. Hopefully I'll shed my lurky tendencies lol.

Welcome.

Thanks!
QVICVMQVE•VVLT•SALVVS•ESSE•ANTE•OMNIA•
OPVS•EST•VT•TENEAT•CATHOLICAM•FIDEM

QVAM•NISI•QVISQVE•INTEGRAM•INVIOLATAMQVE•
SERVAVERIT•ABSQVE•DVBIO•IN•ÆTERNAM•PERIBIT

Offline KonservativerKatholik

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hellebardier
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 03:32:05 PM »
Welcome!

Welcome!

Nein! Das stimmt nicht!

Ah finally, I always wondered what this was about.
Moribus antiquis stat res romana virisque.