Author Topic: Columbus Day  (Read 154 times)

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Mr. Mysterious, mikemac, Daniel, Blue Violet

Offline Innocent Smith

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: Columbus Day
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 07:38:44 AM »
Why do teachers get the day off this year?  Don't they and their "students' have enough time off at home these days?

I mean these teachers haven't even had to put gas in their cars to go to work since late March. 

Plus, it's a contested holiday these days.  I think in light of the holiday being contested, and teachers getting paid to really do nothing, and living a life of full pay where dressing is optional should go to work today.

After all, we really only need one teacher per grade level these days.  Every student nationwide can plug into the same 5th grade Youtube channel to cite one example.

If I had my way the excess teachers can staff the nursing homes that the multi-million dollar schools will eventually be converted into.  At a huge reduction in pay, pension, and benefits of course.

I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the modern man. But I shall not use it to kill him, only to bring him to life.

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2020, 08:06:42 AM »
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2020, 08:28:56 AM »
Happy Columbus Day!

Why do teachers get the day off this year?  Don't they and their "students' have enough time off at home these days?

I mean these teachers haven't even had to put gas in their cars to go to work since late March. 

Plus, it's a contested holiday these days.  I think in light of the holiday being contested, and teachers getting paid to really do nothing, and living a life of full pay where dressing is optional should go to work today.

After all, we really only need one teacher per grade level these days.  Every student nationwide can plug into the same 5th grade Youtube channel to cite one example.

If I had my way the excess teachers can staff the nursing homes that the multi-million dollar schools will eventually be converted into.  At a huge reduction in pay, pension, and benefits of course.

It might depend on where you live, but where I live the schools (albeit not the universities) have been open. They opened in the beginning of September (maybe the end of August) as usual, but just not to full capacity. (Classes are staggered so not every student is present every day, but there are always at least some students present on any given day. I think the teachers do come in every day but I'm not entirely sure.)

Plus, ignoring the situation with potentially-overpaid teachers, the fact that students don't come in is even more reason to give them the day off. Because online classes are much more difficult than in-person classes. Students could probably use a break from sitting in front of the computer screen.

In either case, why dishonour Christopher Columbus simply because students and teachers have recently been staying home a lot anyway and because liberals want to do away with Columbus? If anything, I'd say give them the day off today and make them go into school on Saturday (or not at all). Giving the students a pleasant day off for Columbus Day may help them to appreciate Columbus, whereas not giving them the day off may implicitly send the message that Columbus was not all that important to begin with (leaving them prone to subsequent indoctrination by the liberals: "not only was Columbus not important, but he was a villain, etc.").

[edit - Re-reading your post, I am now not sure whether your post was intended to be sarcastic? If so, my apologies.]
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 09:11:21 AM by Daniel »

Offline The Curt Jester

• Water-drinker at the Coffee Social
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Neo-Pelagian Angry Traditionalist with Narcissistic Tendencies
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 09:29:39 AM »
I think all of the teachers at the school where I used to work (private) would have agreed that in-person classes were easier than online.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Offline mikemac

• Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 04:45:04 PM »
Happy Columbus Day.

And Happy Thanksgiving Day for Canadians.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Non Nobis, Mr. Mysterious

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2020, 07:14:16 PM »
Happy Columbus Day.

And Happy Thanksgiving Day for Canadians.

That' right! All the best to you, our fine neighbors.  :canada:

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

The following users thanked this post: mikemac