Author Topic: experiencing someones soul leave the body at death  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Vetus Ordo

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Hopeful Fatalist
Re: experiencing someones soul leave the body at death
« Reply #135 on: October 06, 2020, 12:27:40 AM »
What are your beliefs on Lourdes?

I have never studied the apparition in depth.

From what I know about it, I don't have anything against it.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Offline Traditionallyruralmom

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Sweetest heart of Mary, be my salvation.
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
« Reply #136 on: October 06, 2020, 11:32:46 AM »
Because in my experience people who are mentally unstable or make decisions emotionally and irrationally when they are young, tend to stay mentally unstable and make decisions emotionally and irrationally as they age.

I cannot think of a SINGLE person I know who could not think rationally at 20 years old, but was very rational in their thinking at 30 or 40.  The way you think is solidified in your teens, in my experience.

aren't you the man from England who sent me money via pay pal to take my oldest children out for a steak because you were so pleased that I had raised such sensible young Catholic youth who were attending their 5th March for Life?

Yes, but that does not make it less nutty to believe in goddesses.  Just means your kids are saner.

I am glad St Paul was not subject to your personal  views on the theology of a persons inability to change through the grace of God  :)
as he said in Galatians, "But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and had called me through his grace"
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

The following users thanked this post: diaduit, Blue Violet, paul14

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
« Reply #137 on: October 06, 2020, 11:35:56 AM »
Exceptions make shitty rules.

And besides St. Paul was not nuts.

Christianity was an existential threat to the Jews.

Offline mikemac

• Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #138 on: October 06, 2020, 02:15:47 PM »
Just a little experiment to see who goes mentally unstable after watching this video.  :)

Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

Offline The Theosist

• Korporal
  • Religion: Christian
« Reply #139 on: October 06, 2020, 02:21:31 PM »
Just a little experiment to see who goes mentally unstable after watching this video.  :)

So by "soul" you don't mean the "form of the body" or the inward reality of a person's existence like consciousness and mind but another body, an ethereal body? One that is apparently still material in the classical sense, since it is a bearer of the accidents of visibility like shape and colour, and physical since it's able to interact with light recording devices?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 02:25:35 PM by The Theosist »

Offline Frank

• Korporal
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #140 on: October 06, 2020, 02:26:31 PM »

Click bait.

Where's the provenance?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 02:29:15 PM by Frank »
in principio erat Verbum et Verbum erat apud Deum et Deus erat Verbum
hoc erat in principio apud Deum
omnia per ipsum facta sunt et sine ipso factum est nihil quod factum est

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #141 on: October 06, 2020, 02:35:32 PM »
Exceptions make shitty rules.

And besides St. Paul was not nuts.

Christianity was an existential threat to the Jews.

Christ heals....

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

Jeremiah 24:7
I will give them a heart to know that I am the Lord, and they shall be my people and I will be their God, for they shall return to me with their whole heart.

Philippians 4:7
And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus

The following users thanked this post: The Theosist

Offline drummerboy

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: sisu
« Reply #142 on: October 07, 2020, 11:50:33 AM »
Maybe others could provide citations, but I recall reading that demons tend to possess people that are already mentally unstable, simply because they are weaker, and thus easier, targets to attack.  Could it be stretched to say that some mentally or emotionally "weak" individuals are therefore more sensitive to the "woo side"?  Just throwing a bone to the dog.
The bee is small among flying things, but her fruit hath the chiefest sweetness - Ecclesiasticus 3:11

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #143 on: October 07, 2020, 11:46:47 PM »
Maybe others could provide citations, but I recall reading that demons tend to possess people that are already mentally unstable, simply because they are weaker, and thus easier, targets to attack.  Could it be stretched to say that some mentally or emotionally "weak" individuals are therefore more sensitive to the "woo side"?  Just throwing a bone to the dog.

Jesus heals that too

Mark 16:9   
Now after He had risen early on the first day of the week, He first appeared to Mary Magdalene, from whom He had cast out seven demons.

The following users thanked this post: Blue Violet

Offline Non Nobis

• Why are you fearful?
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #144 on: October 08, 2020, 12:41:02 AM »

Jesus heals that too

Mark 16:9   
Now after He had risen early on the first day of the week, He first appeared to Mary Magdalene, from whom He had cast out seven demons.

Jesus dispels demons, and can heal mentally weak (or even mentally ill) people too.  I think it is possible that mentally weak people would be overly imaginative and disposed to false religious, sentimental, phenomena, e.g. the "woo" of a false religion or a false apparition.  It's less likely this is happening if someone is praying hard and sincerely when some phenomenon or feeling occurs.  But unless something is approved by the Church I don't think it is possible for an outside observer to be absolutely certain what happened.  But if they know someone was praying I don't think they should be totally skeptical either.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

The following users thanked this post: Blue Violet

Offline Gerard

• Feldwebel
  • .. and his raiment became white and glittering
« Reply #145 on: October 08, 2020, 12:49:05 AM »
Just finished reading up on this thread.  The topic seems to be public acceptance of an extraordinary individual experience?  Smaller than the parting of the Red Sea, but pretty amazing claims nonetheless. 

Question: What do you believe are the parameters for interaction between our physical existence and the spiritual world? 

It seems a lot of the discussion is based on subjective credulity of anecdotal and extreme examples. How about if we shrink the area of focus?   

What about individual interactions that really don't seem to be meant for anything beyond the spiritual support of the individual? Eg. Specific prayers that appear to get answered in non-direct ways and unexpected ways. Strange coincidences that stretch the idea that they are coincidences?  Events that happen that prepare you for a future event that you don't even know about?  Eg. an unread Catholic book falls onto the floor, open to a specific page on a topic you don't know anything about or really care about at the moment. You read the page anyway before putting the book away.  Several days later a complete stranger asks you a question that is directly on the specific topic you read about. 

Conversely, you have the phenomena of demonic attack.  When "suggestions" are brought to the mind that don't reflect your own normal thoughts, your own mood and seem completely alien to your personality.

These are the things that you don't go running to Church and tell everyone about.  They are too small and too personalized, lacking in public pyrotechnical, razzledazzle.  Do you think they are real or simply a hodgepodge of selected phenomena to build a narrative that keeps a person going in their isolation? Or is it a possible thing with a mix of delusion plus fact?

How intimate do you believe, is the battle between good and evil going on in your own life?  Is it completely external to the flesh or external to matter itself and just an intellectual speculation or is the battle on every front and in a plethora of levels that extend into your surroundings, your flesh and into your psyche?  Is it 24/7 situation or is it an occasional occurrence or does it not really happen at all? 

I thought of this scene from the X-Files while reading the thread:

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
« Reply #146 on: October 09, 2020, 05:57:33 PM »
Rubbish, you've described every 20 year old before cop on developed in their mid twenties.

Is this English?
It's Irish English.

What does it mean?  I think I want to thank diaduit's post but I'm not sure.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Sorry about that,  'cop on' slang for maturity but in the sense of street smarts. 
e.g.  if you got fired from your job, apart from a hiding your mother would scream at you 'when are you going to get some cop on' or 'cop on you moron'.

Don't apologize.  I really like it when you use Irish expressions. :beer:
(I was right.  I did want to thank your post.)
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.