Author Topic: Hello  (Read 435 times)

Offline DeaconJamesOxford

• Hellebardier
  • Religion: RC
Re: Hello
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2020, 11:15:54 AM »
Frank

I have no problems with physics and my faith - and neither do many of my American colleagues (not so many of my European colleagues). Yes the politics of physics and 'big science' can be corrupt - as physics is done by fallible fallen humans.

Interesting that you refer above to the cold fusion hype of Fleischmann and Pons - I was myself v peripherally involved in the early attempts to reproduce their results at Harwell when they came out with it - and their claimed results could not be reproduced

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2020, 11:36:07 AM »
Welcome. Would love to hear your perceptions on things from your neck of the woods and how you perceive the dumpster fire that is Earth 2020.
Are you a geocentrist?
I have never understood the deacon concept such as it is in the NO Church. Are you like an überalter boy?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

• Hellebardier
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2020, 01:01:09 PM »
Heinrich

No I am not a geo-centrist.

IMHO the current state of the western world is reflective of the largely successful infiltration and demolition of all our cultural institutions (including, to a large extent the Church) by cultural Marxism - what is happening (or being reported) in the US at the moment is just making this more obvious as the revolutionaries have been emboldened.

As to what a permanent deacon is and does - there is plenty of information on the web if you really want to find out (as opposed to just being snarky). For myself, I see myself as an ordained servant of my bishop, my parish priest and my home parish, as such I can preach (typically monthly at either OF or EF), administer certain sacraments, act as an ordinary minister of holy communion (so we dont have EHMCs!). It is a distinctly different vocation from the priesthood - contrary to the sometimes repeated accusation that permanent deacons are just wanabe priests who couldn't handle celibacy, of all the many permanent deacons I know (30 - 40?) there are precisely two who tried their vocation to the priesthood when young and then withdrew and married. For the rest of us this vocation coming later in life (typically) was just as much of a surprise to us as to those who knew us

Online Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2020, 01:26:26 PM »

The following users thanked this post: DeaconJamesOxford

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2020, 05:00:50 PM »
I see myself as an ordained servant of my bishop, my parish priest and my home parish, as such I can preach (typically monthly at either OF or EF), administer certain sacraments, act as an ordinary minister of holy communion (so we dont have EHMCs!). It is a distinctly different vocation from the priesthood.

This is confusing to me. You are able to "administer" some sacraments, but not others? How? Do you have partial apostolic succession? I have attended every type of TLM group(Sede, SSPX, FSSP, Diocesan) in the last 15 years and I have never seen a permanent and married "ordained servant" as such. Is this concept of which you speak a Vatican 2 novelty?

What are your thoughts on the Morley-Michelson experiments?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline Frank

• Korporal
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2020, 06:44:43 PM »
Here is the Hotson quote post from the Bessler forum:

I'm not talking about individual physicists. I'm talking about the physics establishment.

For instance -
"You aren't allowed to write papers showing that Einstein was wrong because he isn't wrong."

His experience is a good example of why many discerning people leave physics and do something else - in his case, land surveying.

This account is by D.L.Hotson talking about himself in the third person.

==================================================
"...Unfortunately, he could not resist asking awkward questions. His professors taught that conservation of mass-energy is the never-violated,rock-solid foundation of all physics.
In'pair-production', a photon of at least 1.022 MeV'creates' an electron-positron pair, each with 0.511 MeV of rest energy, with any excess being the momentum of the 'created' pair. So supposedly the conservation books balance.

But the 'created' electron and positron both have spin (angular momentum) energy of h/4p. By any assumption as to the size of electron or positron,this is far more energy than that supplied by the photon at 'creation'.

'Isn't angular momentum energy?'he asked a professor.

'Of course it is. This half-integer spin angular momentum is the energy needed by the electron to set up a stable standing wave around the proton.
Thus it is responsible for the Pauli exclusion principle, hence for the extension and stability of all matter. You could say it is the sole cause of the periodic table of elements.'

'Then where does all this energy come from? How can the 'created' electron have something like sixteen times more energy than the photon that supposedly 'created' it? Isn't this a huge violation of your never-violated rock-solidfoundation of physics?'

'We regard spin angular momentum as an 'inherent property' of electron and positron, not as a violation of conservation.'

'But if it's real energy, where does it come from?'

'Inherent property' means we don't talk about it, and you won't either if you want to pass this course.'

Later, Mr. Hotson was taken aside and told that his 'attitude' was disrupting the class, and that further, with his 'attitude', there was no chance in hell of his completing a graduate program in physics, so 'save your money'.

He ended up at the Sorbonne studying French literature and later became a professional land surveyor."
================================================
in principio erat Verbum et Verbum erat apud Deum et Deus erat Verbum
hoc erat in principio apud Deum
omnia per ipsum facta sunt et sine ipso factum est nihil quod factum est

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2020, 05:30:40 AM »
I see myself as an ordained servant of my bishop, my parish priest and my home parish, as such I can preach (typically monthly at either OF or EF), administer certain sacraments, act as an ordinary minister of holy communion (so we dont have EHMCs!). It is a distinctly different vocation from the priesthood.

This is confusing to me. You are able to "administer" some sacraments, but not others? How? Do you have partial apostolic succession?

Permanent deacons can do the same things that transitional deacons do.  The underlying theology is the same. 

St. Francis of Assisi was a permanent deacon, i.e. he became a deacon with no intention to progress to priesthood.  The current large scale use of permanent deacons is more a practical matter than a modern theological aberration.  There is a priest shortage. 

Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

The following users thanked this post: Brigid

• Hellebardier
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2020, 07:46:09 AM »
Jayne

Indeed - you beat me to it! In the Ordinary Form, deacons (permanent or transitional) are ordinary ministers of baptism, and of holy communion, and can give blessings, give Benediction etc, whereas in the EF there is less they can do - but given the shortage of priests, if you want a Solemn High Mass you need two deacons - or at least one deacon and an instituted acolyte, as well as your priest.

As someone recently reminded me (thanks), Archbishop Lefebvre was an advocate for the restoration of the permanent diaconate at the council - his intention I think, was to support the work of the Church in 'mission territories' - and he was right - but not in the way he probably thought - He was thinking of Africa, Asia - but certainly Africa doesn't seem to have a shortage of priestly vocations - they are now sending missionary priests to us in Europe!

The following users thanked this post: Jayne

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2020, 08:30:42 AM »
Jayne

Indeed - you beat me to it! In the Ordinary Form, deacons (permanent or transitional) are ordinary ministers of baptism, and of holy communion, and can give blessings, give Benediction etc, whereas in the EF there is less they can do - but given the shortage of priests, if you want a Solemn High Mass you need two deacons - or at least one deacon and an instituted acolyte, as well as your priest.

While some here think the Novus Ordo is beyond hope, no matter what, I think there are better and worse ways it can be done.  Having permanent deacons performing those functions is better than having lay women do them (which unfortunately ends up happening a lot).  At least the use of deacons preserves the truth that these things ought to be done by ordained men.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

The following users thanked this post: DeaconJamesOxford, Brigid