Author Topic: Hello  (Read 531 times)

Offline DeaconJamesOxford

• Hellebardier
  • Religion: RC
Hello
« on: September 21, 2020, 07:46:59 AM »
Hello

thought I should post something as I have just joined the forum. I am a permanent deacon, ordained in July 2018, married with one child. I serve in a traditionally oriented diocesan parish (no girls serving, no EMHCs), in both the Novus Ordo and the EF (1962) Mass. I came back to the faith in my late 30s/early 40s, mainly via more traditional forms (eg Oratorians) and thus missed out on many of the 70s and 80s abuses - eg girls serving, communion in the hand etc and rediscovered my faith through singing plainchant and then serving and MCin for both the EF and the Novus Ordo. My childhood formation, like that of so many others immediately post-Vatican II, was pretty disrupted,  so while I would be happy myself to return fully to the old Mass exclusively, I do not believe we can do so wholesale without losing a vast number of the faithful who need 'shepherding' back towards the faith as it should be - and this will be a long process - probably over several generations.

I am a reader of several traditional blogs, eg Fr Z, Fr Blake, Rorate (and Eccles and Bosco for light relief!) I am a physicist by training/secular profession, and a big sci-fi fan (favourite film: BladeRunner - the original cut) Favourite books: Lord of the Rings and the Silmarilion, & Graves: The Greek Myths. Not a big sports fan - I like playing tennis (until my Achilles snapped) and I canoe regularly.

Anything else anyone wants to know?

Deacon James

The following users thanked this post: Jayne, Prayerful

Online mikemac

• Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 07:54:04 AM »
Welcome
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

The following users thanked this post: DeaconJamesOxford

Offline paul14

• Vizekorporal
  • When life gets you down, tell it to **** off!
  • Religion: Yes Dear
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 08:30:17 AM »
Hello

thought I should post something as I have just joined the forum. I am a permanent deacon, ordained in July 2018, married with one child. I serve in a traditionally oriented diocesan parish (no girls serving, no EMHCs), in both the Novus Ordo and the EF (1962) Mass. I came back to the faith in my late 30s/early 40s, mainly via more traditional forms (eg Oratorians) and thus missed out on many of the 70s and 80s abuses - eg girls serving, communion in the hand etc and rediscovered my faith through singing plainchant and then serving and MCin for both the EF and the Novus Ordo. My childhood formation, like that of so many others immediately post-Vatican II, was pretty disrupted,  so while I would be happy myself to return fully to the old Mass exclusively, I do not believe we can do so wholesale without losing a vast number of the faithful who need 'shepherding' back towards the faith as it should be - and this will be a long process - probably over several generations.

I am a reader of several traditional blogs, eg Fr Z, Fr Blake, Rorate (and Eccles and Bosco for light relief!) I am a physicist by training/secular profession, and a big sci-fi fan (favourite film: BladeRunner - the original cut) Favourite books: Lord of the Rings and the Silmarilion, & Graves: The Greek Myths. Not a big sports fan - I like playing tennis (until my Achilles snapped) and I canoe regularly.

Deacon James

I cycled to Oxford on Friday (from Reading).  I went to see the Headington Shark and C.S. Lewis' house (then cycled back …)

I should have visited JRR Tolkien's grave.  Apparently it is near there.  I will have to go there next time.

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 09:25:59 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  My first exposure to traditional Catholicism was through Oratorians too.  I  had originally learned about Catholicism from a Catholic Charismatic group and a notoriously liberal parish, in the late 1970s and early 1980s.  You can probably imagine how many errors I was taught.

You seem to have an interesting perspective on the Church and I am looking forward to your contributions to the forum. I hope that you will find it a place of learning and spiritual growth.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

• Hellebardier
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 09:41:05 AM »
Jayne

thank you (and to every one else) for your welcome. Perspective is an interesting thing - We feel that the council was long ago but in terms of the life of the Church it was only yesterday, and we are still living in its immediate aftermath. What the eventual outcomes will be, for good or ill, will only be know in a century or two.

Paul

Another couple of miles round the ring road would have brought you to Wolvercote Cemetery where Tolkien and his wife are buried together in graves marked 'Beren' and 'Luthien'. If you get that far, do go the extra half mile down Woodstock Road to visit our parish church (St Gregory & St Augustine) - lots of Tolkien connections - and regular EF Mass (Low at least twice a week, and Missa Cantata (or occasionally Solemn High) at least monthly)

The following users thanked this post: Jayne

Offline paul14

• Vizekorporal
  • When life gets you down, tell it to **** off!
  • Religion: Yes Dear
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 11:34:08 AM »
Jayne

thank you (and to every one else) for your welcome. Perspective is an interesting thing - We feel that the council was long ago but in terms of the life of the Church it was only yesterday, and we are still living in its immediate aftermath. What the eventual outcomes will be, for good or ill, will only be know in a century or two.

Paul

Another couple of miles round the ring road would have brought you to Wolvercote Cemetery where Tolkien and his wife are buried together in graves marked 'Beren' and 'Luthien'. If you get that far, do go the extra half mile down Woodstock Road to visit our parish church (St Gregory & St Augustine) - lots of Tolkien connections - and regular EF Mass (Low at least twice a week, and Missa Cantata (or occasionally Solemn High) at least monthly)

Yep, I know it well.  My daughter Claire got married there.

Offline Jacob

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 12:19:15 PM »
a big sci-fi fan (favourite film: BladeRunner - the original cut)

You are a fan of Deckard's voice-over?
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
--Neal Stephenson

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 05:12:17 PM »
Welcome!

How'd you find the forum? 
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

Offline Frank

• Korporal
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 11:35:52 PM »

Deacon James

I am a retired research scientist (RRL and BRE) so I'm interested in the fact
you are a physicist. Does you day job involve physics in any shape or form.

.... and welcome to the forum.
in principio erat Verbum et Verbum erat apud Deum et Deus erat Verbum
hoc erat in principio apud Deum
omnia per ipsum facta sunt et sine ipso factum est nihil quod factum est

• Hellebardier
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 04:23:10 AM »
Frank

Yes I work for a large nuclear instrumentation company - my colleagues would say that I left physics and went over to the dark side (marketing) years ago as a product manager, but I am now back in tech support for health physics instruments for my last 18 months of employment before retirement

Jacob - yes I do like the voice over (not common I know..........)

Kaesekopf - TBH I cant remember  - a link from some other trad site probably - maybe Fisheaters?

The following users thanked this post: Frank

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 07:12:46 AM »
 :toth:
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 07:53:48 AM »
Yes I work for a large nuclear instrumentation company - my colleagues would say that I left physics and went over to the dark side (marketing) years ago as a product manager, but I am now back in tech support for health physics instruments for my last 18 months of employment before retirement.

That somewhat parallels with my husbands career.  He started working in safety and shut down systems at nuclear power plants (but a nuclear engineering degree, rather than physics) and is now approaching retirement developing software for medical technology.  He never spent any time in marketing though.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Offline Jacob

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 11:49:41 AM »
Jacob - yes I do like the voice over (not common I know..........)

My brother and I are fans of the theatrical release, yes.  When we first saw the movie, it was with the voice-over, so that is how we knew it.

But aside from the voice-over, the later cuts of the movie are not so great for me because I disagree with the idea that Deckard is supposed to be a replicant.
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
--Neal Stephenson

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 06:28:55 PM »
Welcome to the Forum; I hope that you will be a regular contributor here.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Offline Frank

• Korporal
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 10:10:14 AM »
Frank

Yes I work for a large nuclear instrumentation company - my colleagues would say that I left physics and went over to the dark side (marketing) years ago as a product manager, but I am now back in tech support for health physics instruments for my last 18 months of employment before retirement

You didn't come over to the dark side. You left the dark side.

I know all about the dark side because I was on it for 38 years.
Below is a post on I made on the BesslerWheel forum some years ago.

https://www.besslerwheel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=149951#149951

LOL You "don't really like scientists". Believe you me you can't possibly
dislike them as much as I do. You didn't have to work alongside them
for 38 years - well 36 if you knock off my 2 years gardening leave. :-)

Nearly all of them are bloody atheists for a start.
"The fool in his heart says there is no God" 
and when I look that one up thanks to the miracle of Google,
what do I find.

"Psalm 14:1-3 
The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.”
They are corrupt, they do abominable deeds,
there is none that does good.
The LORD looks down from heaven upon the children of men,
to see if there are any that act wisely, that seek after God
."

If they want to discover how the universe works why don't they
read the manual.
To give Bessler his due, he wasn't an atheist.
Whether or not he sold his soul to the devil there's no doubt
he believed in God. A person doesn't commit the appalling blasphemy
of stealing consecrated hosts the Body and Blood of Jesus Christ)
for people to swear oaths on, without believing in God.

Bessler certainly read the manual. How many forum members read it?

And being atheists scientists make science their religion -
and scientific "laws" their dogma which may not be contradicted
on pain of excommunication.

If you write a paper showing that relativity is false you will not be
able to get it published it any of the main science journals. You will
get a little note back saying we can't accept your paper because
relativity is not false. You might as well try to get the MSM
to publish an article saying Killary is a Satanist.

Search for the name, Hotson, on this forum and see what
happened to him.

Look up Dr Eugene Mallove who left MIT in disgust at the flagrant
manipulation of cold fusion results to found Infinite Energy Magazine
and find out what happened to him.

A random killing by two robbers? Pull the other one, it's got bells on.
His publication of papers which were gnawing at scientific orthodoxy
obviously got up the nose of the high priests and they decided he
must be offed so that their kingdom would not be taken away from them.

But I've already said enough to alienate a lot of the forum including
JC who is an avowed atheist (ironic that his initials are those of
Our Lord and Saviour) so I'd better stop there.

I'll try and find that quote by Hotson saying why he abandoned physics
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 10:15:50 AM by Frank »
in principio erat Verbum et Verbum erat apud Deum et Deus erat Verbum
hoc erat in principio apud Deum
omnia per ipsum facta sunt et sine ipso factum est nihil quod factum est