Author Topic: Abby Johnson goes to the old mass  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major

The following users thanked this post: OCLittleFlower, Jayne, mikemac, Acolyte, Prayerful, Elizabeth.2

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: Abby Johnson goes to the old mass
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 07:40:17 PM »
This was great.  I skimmed over the political stuff at the beginning, but I was drawn in once she started talking about becoming Catholic around 23 minutes in.  She had been Episcopalian when she worked for PP. Once she became publicly pro-life, she was no longer welcome there.  ::)

I was fascinated by her comments about being drawn to the Latin Mass and her first impressions of it.  They did an intriguing comparison of certain aspects of the NO and TLM. There was also some interesting discussion of the difference between online trads and trads in person.

I hope people make the time to watch this so we can talk about the ideas they raised.  There were several that I could see being good topics for us.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Lynne, Daniel

Offline mikemac

• Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 11:42:21 PM »
I liked their comparison, the TLM being masculine and the NO being feminine.  The TLM is not a performance.  There was a section around 43 minutes for aukwardcustomer.  Quote "if your parish aint crying, it's dying."  And then they get into how a minority of Trads are obnoxious.  All good though.  Good talk.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

The following users thanked this post: Jayne, Lynne

Offline diaduit

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 04:14:20 AM »
I enjoyed that but to be honest I'm tired of the accusation of Trads being obnoxious or self righteous and smug.  I know the parish crank, or the parish weirdo or the community narc but smug....nope not really.  Its like the label conspiracy theorist or tin foil hat, put a label on it with no basis and then throw it around because you haven't got anything else.  This label was invented by died in the wool NO and now we throw it around too.

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Lynne, Maximilian, awkwardcustomer, queen.saints, Blue Violet

Offline awkwardcustomer

• Feldwebel
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 05:15:21 AM »
I liked their comparison, the TLM being masculine and the NO being feminine.  The TLM is not a performance.  There was a section around 43 minutes for aukwardcustomer.  Quote "if your parish aint crying, it's dying."  And then they get into how a minority of Trads are obnoxious.  All good though.  Good talk.

Come to the TLM.  It's noisy and full of screaming babies and toddlers.  It's even noisier than the NO.

That should pull them in.

Oh, and the priest can't hear the noise or see the mayhem because he has his back to you.  These people really know how to sell.  Must be why Tradition is booming.  Not. 

What foolish, self-indulgent nonsense.  Still, at least they're honest.  At least they admit that the TLM is noisy and full of screaming babies and toddlers. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 05:25:43 AM by awkwardcustomer »
And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  
St Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 15, para 9.

And what rough beast, it's hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
WB Yeats, 'The Second Coming'.

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 05:45:01 AM »
This label was invented by died in the wool NO and now we throw it around too.

I have been to the SSPX in the USA, UK, France and Australia (more than just the occasional visit) and I have experienced some real wackiness.  It is patchy, but in some locations around the world it is oppressive.  The SSPX in London/UK went from great under Father Edward Black to lousy under Frs. Emily and King and now under Robert Brucciani it is very good again.  Australia was wacky before Father Black arrived, but since then has improved under his leadership so I am told.

Why is the SSPX great again under Brucciani?  Because he is a mentally well balanced, mature adult who had a good childhood in a large Catholic family.  I remember playing poker with his brothers in Highclere in the summer of 1986.  They were normal mentally healthy people who were good Catholics but did not have a stick up their arse.

I went to the SSPX in Botany Bay, NSW in 1994 and it was like a load of Mormons had become Traditionalists.  After 10 weeks I started going to the FSSP in Lewisham instead.

Self-righteous is not a fair label.  Trads know and sense they are right because they have history on their side and it is obvious from attending the mass and speaking to people afterwards that 95% at least give a damn about the faith.  That is not self-righteous, just self-evidence that they are right, a completely different thing.

It is undeniable that there are a contingent of Traditionalists who love to nitpick at everything the laity wears, says, expresses, every action of the priest and value form over substance.  It is the essence of why you get priests like Fr. Pfeiffer becoming dodgy bishops, because as long as their little group is fed its own view of the world, they can excuse anything provided their personal moral, liturgical and fashion standards are met.

The resistance (or the spectrum of resistances) has been great for the SSPX.  It has acted like a nutter magnet.

Bishop Williamson knows this (he is no fool) which is why he refuses to herd cats and lead the resistance.  That way he cannot get the blame.  Very wise of him.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 05:49:03 AM by Greg »

The following users thanked this post: LausTibiChriste, Frank, Lynne

Offline Elizabeth.2

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 07:53:02 AM »

What foolish, self-indulgent nonsense.  Still, at least they're honest.  At least they admit that the TLM is noisy and full of screaming babies and toddlers.
Texans always brag like like that; it's Texas.  ;D

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 08:35:16 AM »
I liked their comparison, the TLM being masculine and the NO being feminine. 

That was one of my favourite parts.  I don't think I ever put it that way myself, but hearing them discuss it, it really made sense.

Quote "if your parish aint crying, it's dying."

The local diocesan TLM has a weekly bulletin and that quote is prominent on the cover.  This group has been growing in numbers and there are now a lot of young families, noticeably more than when I used to go there regularly.

And then they get into how a minority of Trads are obnoxious. 

There are a couple of things going on.  One is that the TLM is a better Mass than the NO and people who attend it are far more likely to have a better grasp of Church teaching.  The NO is associated with poor catechesis in a way that the TLM is not.  Recognizing this, in itself, is not obnoxious or self-righteous. It is just the reality. It becomes a problem when trads think of ourselves as better people or better Catholics because of these things.  If anything, we need to be judged by a higher standard because we have these advantages.  But even those of us who realize this get labeled as self-righteous.

The other factor is the online behaviour of trads. The video specifically mentioned Twitter, but we see this on forums too.  Even a very small number of people being obnoxious colours the atmosphere of the whole group.  This phenomenon is not a specifically trad characteristic.  It is a part of online culture, no matter what the topic under discussion.  I've heard that online knitting groups are notorious for strife and drama and, while I do not knit myself, I find it hard to believe that this is an inherently contentious topic.

The following users thanked this post: mikemac, Lynne, Michael Wilson

Offline Maximilian

• Hauptmann
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 10:22:48 AM »

I went to the SSPX in Botany Bay, NSW in 1994 and it was like a load of Mormons had become Traditionalists. 

Australians who don't drink? Now this strains credulity.

From my experience of Australians, they'd have a hard time giving up coffee, let alone alcohol.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, queen.saints

Offline Maximilian

• Hauptmann
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 10:24:44 AM »
I've heard that online knitting groups are notorious for strife and drama and, while I do not knit myself, I find it hard to believe that this is an inherently contentious topic.

You have no idea of the wars between the "knit-one-pearl-two" crowd and the "knit-two-pearl-one" sect. Talk about schism and heresy!

The following users thanked this post: Jayne, MundaCorMeum, queen.saints, paul14

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 11:40:27 AM »
I've heard that online knitting groups are notorious for strife and drama and, while I do not knit myself, I find it hard to believe that this is an inherently contentious topic.

You have no idea of the wars between the "knit-one-pearl-two" crowd and the "knit-two-pearl-one" sect. Talk about schism and heresy!

The struggle is real  :knit:

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Jayne, queen.saints, Blue Violet

Offline Lynne

• Thankful to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 12:13:14 PM »
I liked their comparison, the TLM being masculine and the NO being feminine. 

That was one of my favourite parts.  I don't think I ever put it that way myself, but hearing them discuss it, it really made sense.

Quote "if your parish aint crying, it's dying."

The local diocesan TLM has a weekly bulletin and that quote is prominent on the cover.  This group has been growing in numbers and there are now a lot of young families, noticeably more than when I used to go there regularly.

And then they get into how a minority of Trads are obnoxious. 

There are a couple of things going on.  One is that the TLM is a better Mass than the NO and people who attend it are far more likely to have a better grasp of Church teaching.  The NO is associated with poor catechesis in a way that the TLM is not.  Recognizing this, in itself, is not obnoxious or self-righteous. It is just the reality. It becomes a problem when trads think of ourselves as better people or better Catholics because of these things.  If anything, we need to be judged by a higher standard because we have these advantages.  But even those of us who realize this get labeled as self-righteous.

The other factor is the online behaviour of trads. The video specifically mentioned Twitter, but we see this on forums too.  Even a very small number of people being obnoxious colours the atmosphere of the whole group.  This phenomenon is not a specifically trad characteristic.  It is a part of online culture, no matter what the topic under discussion.  I've heard that online knitting groups are notorious for strife and drama and, while I do not knit myself, I find it hard to believe that this is an inherently contentious topic.

The issue with the large knitting community was that the pink hats went insane if someone appeared to support Trump. Pretty stupid.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

The following users thanked this post: Jayne, diaduit

Offline diaduit

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2020, 04:46:32 PM »
Being wacky is different to being self righteous and we could bottle it, sell it and become millionaires if wacky were a commodity.

All that aside, a trad catholic has some very strong personality traits to become a trad in the first place and then to sustain themselves in their new world.  You have to have determination to keep going in this crazy world .

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Lynne, Maximilian, Michael Wilson, queen.saints, Blue Violet

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

The following users thanked this post: dellery

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2020, 05:22:51 PM »

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Blue Violet