Author Topic: Has anyone tried this oatmeal recipe?  (Read 326 times)

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Has anyone tried this oatmeal recipe?
« on: August 31, 2020, 11:47:27 AM »
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how-to-make-the-best-overnight-oats?utm_source=pocket-newtab

You just soak the oats in milk and yogurt overnight, and add toppings in the morning. I love oatmeal, but I've never tried a raw, cold recipe before. I'll try it and report back. ;)
"Make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is come to life again; he was lost, and is found."

Offline Lynne

• Thankful to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Has anyone tried this oatmeal recipe?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 05:09:24 PM »
https://getpocket.com/explore/item/how-to-make-the-best-overnight-oats?utm_source=pocket-newtab

You just soak the oats in milk and yogurt overnight, and add toppings in the morning. I love oatmeal, but I've never tried a raw, cold recipe before. I'll try it and report back. ;)

Yay! I used a Weston Price recipe, soaking the oatmeal using apple cider vinegar (ick). It certainly is more filling than just cooking it in the morning. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 05:10:07 PM »
I only eat grits, not oatmeal  :D

The following users thanked this post: Bernadette, coffeeandcigarette

Offline Lynne

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 05:10:53 PM »
I only eat grits, not oatmeal  :D

Southern Lives Matter!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

The following users thanked this post: MundaCorMeum, coffeeandcigarette

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 08:45:14 PM »

Yay! I used a Weston Price recipe, soaking the oatmeal using apple cider vinegar (ick). It certainly is more filling than just cooking it in the morning. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts.

Well French toast is on the menu for tomorrow, so the oats are postponed. Priorities. ;)
"Make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is come to life again; he was lost, and is found."

The following users thanked this post: Lynne

Offline aquinas138

• Wachtmeister
  • Παναγία Τριάς, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 11:03:40 PM »
I've made it with milk, yogurt, and strawberries and/or blueberries. It's pretty good and certainly handy to have ready to go. You can always give it a zap in the microwave to take the chill of of it.
O Mary most pure, golden censer that became the tabernacle of the uncontainable divinity, in you the Father was well pleased; in you the Son did dwell; and the Holy Spirit, by overshadowing you, revealed you to be the Birthgiver of God.

The following users thanked this post: Bernadette, Lynne

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 10:31:23 AM »
I made them last night and ate them this morning. I used 1/2C oats, 1/2 C milk, and half of a little container of Chobani vanilla yogurt. The result was very thick and soft. I thoroughly enjoyed it and will definitely make it again. I actually liked it better than cooked oatmeal.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 12:59:02 PM »
Anybody know whether the yogurt is included in order to provide some necessary enzyme, or if it’s just there for texture?

The following users thanked this post: aquinas138

Offline aquinas138

• Wachtmeister
  • Παναγία Τριάς, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς!
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 02:02:24 PM »
Anybody know whether the yogurt is included in order to provide some necessary enzyme, or if it’s just there for texture?

I think probably both - I've made it with just milk, and it's definitely better with yogurt. The yogurt also has the advantage of probiotic cultures, so as long as the yogurt you're using is not a sugar bomb, it provides health benefits and also enhances the texture and flavor.
O Mary most pure, golden censer that became the tabernacle of the uncontainable divinity, in you the Father was well pleased; in you the Son did dwell; and the Holy Spirit, by overshadowing you, revealed you to be the Birthgiver of God.

The following users thanked this post: Bernadette

Offline Lynne

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 02:40:41 PM »

Enzymes, because the Weston A. Price recipe calls for whey (from yogurt) or lemon juice or apple cider vinegar. (don't use the apple cinder vinegar...ask me how I know).  ::)

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Bernadette

Offline diaduit

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 03:38:19 AM »
I'll try it.  oats or porridge as we call it are as part of the Irish diet as spuds/potatoes.  I hate washing the pot after cooking though.