Author Topic: Canning basics, supplies  (Read 590 times)

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
Canning basics, supplies
« on: August 21, 2020, 05:01:16 PM »
What are some recommendations for canning/jarring for beginners? Lots out there to find, but I figured this would be as good a place as any for tips, pointers, recommendations, etc. Spefically, what supplies are needed, what is a good Youtube channel, a blog, etc.? Looking for some helpful hints from experience. Anecdotes most welcome. Thanks!
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Canning basics, supplies
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2020, 05:54:37 PM »
I only have one anecdotal piece of experience to share.  Never try canning for the first time when you are big and pregnant, with 3 small children underfoot.  There will inevitably be broken glass and lots of tears (not the children's).  I think you'll be ok, otherwise  ;D
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 05:56:30 PM by MundaCorMeum »

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich

Offline coffeeandcigarette

• Mary Garden
  • Korporal
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 04:14:54 PM »
Well I am not the world's most prolific canner, but I do have a few tips I wish I had been told at the beginning.

If you are buying canning jars for the first time, invest in wide mouth jars, not regular. These are so much easier to use, and they work far better for many things, like pickles. It is much better to just get all wide-mouth from the beginning.

Buy the "canning" kit you see in a lot of stores. It comes with your grippy lifter, your magnetic lid pick-up, a funnel etc. The only thing I wouldn't do is get a kit with a pot. The pots can be really small and more for hobby canning. Invest in a really good huge canning pot with the jar rack. You can usually find these at hardware stores, farm supply, estate sales, etc.

I am not sure if you are planning on jam mostly or if you will need to can meat and acidic veg. If so, you will want a nice big pressure cooker for canning those items.

I am not sure if you will be preserving from your own garden, but outside of that, try to get as much stuff for free to preserve as you can. Any sort of community pantry with tons of free fruit/veg, (hardly any people take the free veg from pantries and it usually just rots, such a pity) a friend with some neglected apple trees, wild blackberries, etc. Preserving can be very expensive if you are buying fruit/veg to preserve. Getting free stuff ensures that you are actually saving money.

There are a lot of really great youtube videos on canning now, including some from Mennonite ladies who could can in their sleep...lol. Watch a lot of tutorials, start out with the right equipment, and good luck!!

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Lynne, MundaCorMeum, Angela

Offline Lynne

• Thankful to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 05:26:48 PM »
Canning has always made me nervous. If you don't do it right, you could die. Whereas with fermenting stuff, you'll just get sick...
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 05:31:39 PM »
Canning has always made me nervous. If you don't do it right, you could die. Whereas with fermenting stuff, you'll just get sick...

Yeah. Based on this Coffee's post, I think I'll buy Mrs. H something else and just get one of those bag sealers for the freezer. When the grid goes out, we'll use the solar. That we haven't bought yet. What are some lotions from companies that don't support abortion. Bath and Body are out for this fact. Thanks!
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline Lynne

• Thankful to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 05:50:47 PM »

Yeah. Based on this Coffee's post, I think I'll buy Mrs. H something else and just get one of those bag sealers for the freezer. When the grid goes out, we'll use the solar. That we haven't bought yet. What are some lotions from companies that don't support abortion. Bath and Body are out for this fact. Thanks!

Skins lotions?

beef tallow!

https://miriamsskincare.com/

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, maryslittlegarden

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 05:51:24 PM »
Make your own lotion!  I've done it.  It's safer and easier than canning, and no broken glass or tears ;).  You'll need she's butter, beeswax, coconut oil, essential oils, and a hand mixer (I think...it's been a while since I've made any).  Or, just use straight coconut oil, with optional essential oil. 

The following users thanked this post: kayla_veronica, Heinrich, Lynne

Offline kayla_veronica

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 05:09:08 PM »
Start with water bath canning. Pickles, pickled beets, pasta sauces, salsa, etc.

Don't mess with any vinegar ratios, and don't waterbath can anything that needs to be pressure canned (botulism).

Save money by getting a set of jars 2nd hand. There's lots out there on FB marketplace and craigslist.

If you are nervous about pressure canning, find a friend who does it already and ask to watch them do it. That's how I learned. Some counties have extension offices that help with testing gauges and education, but lots have shut down due to liability issues (all mine have, unfortunately).
May the most holy, most sacred, most adorable,
most incomprehensible and ineffable Name of God
be forever praised, blessed, loved, adored
and glorified in Heaven, on earth,
and under the earth,
by all the creatures of God,
and by the Sacred Heart of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
in the Most Holy Sacrament of the Altar.
Amen.

Offline kayla_veronica

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 05:10:36 PM »
Another option would be learning how to ferment. Kombucha, kraut, real pickles, sourdough, etc.
and under the earth,
Amen.

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Maximilian

Offline kayla_veronica

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 05:15:30 PM »

From what I've read, the risk of botulism is super low, as it can be cooked off (so things like green beans that you heat up will kill the botulism), plus the bacteria that makes the food spoil almost always presents first, so you wouldn't eat it anyway if you had sense to smell when a food is spoiled.

I know there aren't a huge amount of people home canning these days, but by statistics (from CDC) in 2017 19 people had it from food and 3 people died.
and under the earth,
Amen.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 05:59:02 PM »
Could you use and instapot, and would that be an easier process?

Offline kayla_veronica

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 06:07:15 PM »
Could you use and instapot, and would that be an easier process?

Only for high acid foods (things you would waterbath).
and under the earth,
Amen.

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 06:21:32 PM »
Another option would be learning how to ferment. Kombucha, kraut, real pickles, sourdough, etc.

What are real pickles?

Offline kayla_veronica

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 08:26:19 PM »

What are real pickles?

Fermented with salt water + time rather than with vinegar. That's apparently how they were originally made.
and under the earth,
Amen.

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 09:12:26 PM »
So, sauerkraut with cucumbers.  I've tried sauerkraut twice, and failed both times.  I guess I'll stick with my sourdough habit  ;D