Author Topic: What do the numbers mean in Saxon Math book titles?  (Read 253 times)

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
What do the numbers mean in Saxon Math book titles?
« on: August 12, 2020, 04:21:39 PM »
https://www.christianbook.com/page/homeschool/math/saxon-math?kw=saxon%20math&mt=e&dv=c&event=PPCSRC&p=1018818&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz4izvr2W6wIVjJ-zCh3bAwmnEAAYASAAEgLTd_D_BwE

I'm looking at the titles and I see numbers such as 5/4, ½, 6/5, 7/6, 8/7, etc. Anyone here know what the numbers mean? And is Saxon Math any good?

Offline Lydia Purpuraria

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
Re: What do the numbers mean in Saxon Math book titles?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 05:58:06 PM »
I used Saxon for a while and I thought it was a pretty good math program.  I think it is considered one of the better math programs among homeschoolers. (?)  It uses a spiral method which revisits concepts frequently (which can prove either quite helpful or too repetitive depending on the student, etc.).  Grades K-3 use manipulatives with the lessons, which are great for understanding/reinforcing some concepts, etc., but also means that a good amount of parent/teacher time and oversight is necessary for completing the lessons.  (Not a problem per se, and my children generally liked using the various manipulatives; but when you are teaching multiple children at multiple grade levels, time is a precious commodity!  & we skipped some things at times because it just seemed a bit "overkill".  LOL)

The numbers are for average/advanced grade level usage.  So, for example, Saxon 5/4 would typically be used for a 5th grader or an advanced 4th grader, Saxon 8/7 for an "avg" 8th grader or advanced 7th grader, and so on...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 07:32:16 PM by Lydia Purpuraria »

The following users thanked this post: Graham, Daniel

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 07:52:53 PM »
Lydia gave a good overview.  I find that most people either love or hate Saxon, based on whether or not they like math.  Those that enjoy math and have a natural aptitude for it, really like it.  Personally, I love it.  The spiral approach is very effective, in my opinion.  The lower grades (K-3) is indeed very teacher intensive, if you follow it exactly as it is written.  I do not.  It's too much.  The lessons can run for up to 45 minutes at a time, every day, which is a long time for young children, especially boys.  I just have my students work through the workbook pages, and when they get to a new concept, I sit down and teach it to them.  I use the teacher manual occasionally, if I need some extra guidance, but most of the time I don't need it.  Same with the manipulatives.  I use them if a child gets stuck on a concept and needs the visual, but otherwise my 3 year old likes to just play with the teddy bear counters, and the boys have confiscated all my linking cubes and turned them into guns and swords  ;D

Also, the format changes drastically from the 3rd grade book to the Saxon 5/4 book.  The series starts off quite slow and easy, and then gradually gets more difficult and rigorous at it goes on, which I like.  I know alot of people who use other stuff for the K-3 levels, then switch to Saxon in 4th grade.  The format is easier on the teacher at that point.  What I've done to help transition over, is to do either the 3rd grade or the 5/4 book over two years to help them switch over.  4th grade is a difficult year, anyway, devepmentally and maturity-wise.  It's also a good time to slow down and make sure all their math facts and concepts up to that point are solidified, before rushing on to the next level, which begins to work more on word problems and real world application.

Oh, and the 1/2 you mentioned is Algebra 1/2 (one half), and is pre-algebra.

The following users thanked this post: Lydia Purpuraria, Daniel

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2020, 05:06:16 PM »
Even within the same family, there might be children who do well with Saxon while others do not.  That was our experience.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

The following users thanked this post: Lydia Purpuraria, Daniel

Offline Lydia Purpuraria

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 05:49:46 PM »
Same with the manipulatives.  I use them if a child gets stuck on a concept and needs the visual, but otherwise my 3 year old likes to just play with the teddy bear counters, and the boys have confiscated all my linking cubes and turned them into guns and swords  ;D.

:laugh: 

Mine did that, too.  They'd come up with all sorts of "creative" (non-math) uses for them.  Good thing they could count on their own without them, "well... honey... looks like we're only going to 64 (or 23?) today!" LOL.     
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 05:52:39 PM by Lydia Purpuraria »