Author Topic: Catholic Creation and Homeschooling - Help on Resources?  (Read 223 times)

Offline FaithByProxy

• Pretty much the worst.
  • Mary Garden
  • Korporal
  • Crux Sacra Sit Mihi Lux
    • Morning Star Goods, My Rosary Store
  • Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
Catholic Creation and Homeschooling - Help on Resources?
« on: July 24, 2020, 12:54:02 PM »
Hello friends! My eldest daughter is going into first grade this year, and I am having trouble finding a science book which tackles creation from a more traditional (read: "creationist") angle that is also Catholic. I would be open to Protestant works that aren't objectionable. Since she is so young, I'm running into a bit of a wall. This is my first real bout in homeschooling, so I am pretty green and don't have all my resources ironed out yet.

It's not a huge deal, as I don't think there will be much in the way of ancient Earth history taught in first grade, but I want to counterbalance any information she may be getting.

Thank you for your help, and your time.
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.

Morning Star Goods, My Rosary and Chaplet Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/MorningStarGoods

The following users thanked this post: Alnitak

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Catholic Creation and Homeschooling - Help on Resources?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2020, 02:28:24 PM »
Honestly, for first grade, you don't really need much in the way of formal text books.  Get outside with your little one, and just observe nature.  Watch ants, catch a cricket, plant a seed and watch it grow, go star gazing, catch a caterpillar and let it turn into a moth or butterfly, dig a tadpole pond, go on nature walks with field guides... basically, instill wonder in God's creation.  Have your child draw pictures of what she observes, and then tell/show her Dad about it when he gets home from work.

If you want your child to know the true story of creation, read Scripture.   Read the story of creation with your child as a compliment to interacting with the real world, and always remind her how amazingly perfect God's creation is, and the He created it all for us to delight in.  Read good living books about creatures...the Thornton Burgess Bird Book is an excellent one for first grade.  That's a pretty robust way to teach beginning science to a young child.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 02:35:29 PM by MundaCorMeum »

The following users thanked this post: FaithByProxy, Jayne, Lynne, Michael Wilson, coffeeandcigarette, Alnitak

Offline Maximilian

• Hauptmann

The following users thanked this post: FaithByProxy, Jayne, Lynne, Michael Wilson

Offline FaithByProxy

• Pretty much the worst.
  • Mary Garden
  • Korporal
  • Crux Sacra Sit Mihi Lux
    • Morning Star Goods, My Rosary Store
  • Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2020, 04:24:20 PM »
MurdaCorMeum: I figured as much! She is still very young, even if she loves to act quite grown up. I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't missing anything. Thank you so much for your sage advice, that really is such a beautiful way to teach children - being immersed in nature and delighting in God's creation.

Maximilian: Thank you! I love the Kolbe Center, but unless I am missing something (and I very well could be - I can't browse the internet so freely as I once did with all my little ones) they don't have many resources for children. But I do need to take more time to peruse their site when I am free.
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, have mercy on us.

Morning Star Goods, My Rosary and Chaplet Store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/MorningStarGoods

The following users thanked this post: Jayne

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 04:47:18 PM »
No, I don't think you are missing anything :).  If you want a good resource for fostering good discussions while observing creation, I recommend The Handbook of Nature Study.  It's meant as a reference guide for the teacher to read, then present to the student at his level.  So, when your curious little lady asks all the questions about all the things, you can look them up and actually answer them for her  ;D. That and field guides are super handy.  Nothing is more satisfying than finding a new nature find and then being able to match it to a field guide and name it!  I think I get more excited than my kids.  Don't forget to remind them that after God created all things, He gave Adam the great task and responsibility of naming all creation, so she is walking in the footsteps of her ancestors.

The following users thanked this post: Jayne, Michael Wilson

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 04:57:46 PM »
I agree with Munda about how to teach science to young children.  When you are ready for a formal textbook, something to look at is Cathy Duffy's site.  She reviews homeschool materials.  Here is a bunch of reviews of various science programs for Catholics to give you a sense of what is out there: https://cathyduffyreviews.com/homeschool-reviews-core-curricula/catholic-curricula/science
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

The following users thanked this post: MundaCorMeum

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2020, 05:50:07 PM »
Yes, Cathy Duffy's site is very helpful....it gets overwhelming, though, so put your blinders on ;)

Offline coffeeandcigarette

• Mary Garden
  • Korporal
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2020, 09:29:44 PM »
No, I don't think you are missing anything :).  If you want a good resource for fostering good discussions while observing creation, I recommend The Handbook of Nature Study.  It's meant as a reference guide for the teacher to read, then present to the student at his level.  So, when your curious little lady asks all the questions about all the things, you can look them up and actually answer them for her  ;D. That and field guides are super handy.  Nothing is more satisfying than finding a new nature find and then being able to match it to a field guide and name it!  I think I get more excited than my kids.  Don't forget to remind them that after God created all things, He gave Adam the great task and responsibility of naming all creation, so she is walking in the footsteps of her ancestors.

Oooh Charlotte Mason...nice!

The following users thanked this post: MundaCorMeum

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 10:11:31 PM »

Oooh Charlotte Mason...nice!

I'm not exactly a Charlotte Mason purist, but I do find myself agreeing with a fair amount of her education philosophy and principles, and apply them to developing a curriculum for our family.  I'm more of a CM/Classical hybrid, and it's not beneath me to use a workbook ;)

The following users thanked this post: coffeeandcigarette