Author Topic: Simple homemade ice cream  (Read 458 times)

Offline Graham

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
Simple homemade ice cream
« on: July 15, 2020, 07:47:28 PM »
I made this recently and it's very simple. You will need 4 eggs, 1 cup of whipping cream, and 1 half cup of maple syrup or honey. Make sure everything is chilled beforehand (except the honey, if that's what you're using).

1. Beat the whipping cream until thick, place in the fridge while you prepare the other stuff

2. Separate the eggs. beat the yolks with the sweetener until pale and relatively thick (don't expect this to get as thick as the cream). Mix in with the cream and put back in the fridge

3. Beat the whites until stiff, then mix in with the rest. (Here you could add a bit of vanilla extract.) Put it in the freezer and wait a couple hours. Done.

I always thought homemade ice cream was convoluted and time consuming but this takes 15 minutes.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 07:49:20 PM by Graham »

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Michael Wilson, diaduit, Philip G.

Offline Graham

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
Re: Simple homemade ice cream
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 08:35:26 AM »
That's supposed to be a half cup of whipping cream,not a full cup.

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 01:44:22 PM »
That's supposed to be a half cup of whipping cream,not a full cup.
Let's not be skimpy with the good stuff!
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

The following users thanked this post: Graham, maryslittlegarden, Lynne

Offline Lynne

• Thankful to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 06:35:31 PM »
This *does* sound easy (and wonderful)!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

The following users thanked this post: Graham, Michael Wilson

Offline Graham

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2020, 04:54:38 PM »
One thing I've discovered with this recipe: after you've put it in the freezer, it's best to take it out once or twice, perhaps at the 20 and 40 minute marks, and give it a quick stir. The maple syrup is the heaviest component and some of it tries to sink to the bottom before the ice cream is solid enough, unless mixed back in.

I've also discovered that the darker the maple syrup the better. A 'golden' or light grade of syrup will contribute sweetness but not a great deal of more complex flavour. It will be good but falls short of the recipe's potential. You want a dark amber syrup.

The following users thanked this post: Michael Wilson