Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 376 times)

Offline Ephesians6-12

• Hellebardier
Hello!
« on: July 15, 2020, 08:07:20 AM »
I am hoping to convert from Protestantism to Catholicism. I am based in Glasgow, Scotland, and there is TLM offered close by. I am a little overwhelmed by how much there is to learn, it's really very different from the churches I have previously attended. I am looking to learn more about the Catholic faith and I am also trying to learn the necessary Latin.

God Bless.

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Jayne, Lynne, Xavier, Philip G., truly-a-philosofan

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 08:12:16 AM »
This is great. It can be overwhelming. When I reverted 15 years ago, I was equal parts stumped as I was angry(not being taught traditionally growing up un 70s and 80s). There are very pious souls here who will be able to give you great advice. An Ave for your journey.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Lynne, Xavier, Ephesians6-12

Offline Lynne

• Thankful to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2020, 08:38:24 AM »
Welcome!

It's like drinking out of a fire hose but more enjoyable.  ::)
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

The following users thanked this post: MundaCorMeum, Xavier, Ephesians6-12

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2020, 02:58:07 PM »
 :toth:
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

The following users thanked this post: Xavier, Ephesians6-12

Online mikemac

• Hauptmann
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2020, 03:24:13 PM »
Welcome Ephesians6-12.  I know a couple of ladies from Glasgow.  One of them has a house here where I live in southern Ontario.  She spends her winters in Glasgow.  She didn't come this spring cause of the covid.  Her sister used to come over in the fall then they'd both go back to Scotland around November.  Her sister was amazed at the fall colours of the trees; you know something we here take for granted.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2020, 05:44:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum! I will pray for your conversion and that you become a saint.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Xavier, Ephesians6-12

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 12:23:05 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  It's great that you have access to a traditional Mass.  I have a few suggestions of websites to help you get started:

https://www.sanctamissa.org/frequently-asked-questions 
This same website has tutorial videos where you can see Masses and online Missals with translations.

https://archive.ccwatershed.org/media/pdfs/14/06/26/12-34-30_0.pdf
This describes itself as being for children, but, as an adult convert, I found it very helpful for understanding the structure and meaning of the Mass. 

https://learnchurchlatin.com/
This is a blog for helping people who want to learn Church Latin.  Since you mentioned being interested in this, you may find it useful.  If you have any questions about Latin language, you can ask them here and there will likely be members who can help you.  The "Alps" subforum is usually the best place for that sort of question.

But you don't really need to know much, if any, Latin for following the Mass, so don't worry about it if this is difficult for you.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Offline Ephesians6-12

• Hellebardier
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 11:32:15 AM »
Wow, Jayne! Thank you so much for all the links, they look like wonderful resources. You're very kind.

Thank you to everybody else, too, for your warm welcome. MikeMac, I have to say that your Glaswegian friends sound mad, returning here for winter! LOL

The following users thanked this post: Jayne

Online mikemac

• Hauptmann
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 02:07:58 PM »
Wow, Jayne! Thank you so much for all the links, they look like wonderful resources. You're very kind.

Thank you to everybody else, too, for your warm welcome. MikeMac, I have to say that your Glaswegian friends sound mad, returning here for winter! LOL

Yeah before she left the priest used to say "our friend Annette is going back to balmy ... uh bonny Scotland for the winter."  :)

She has osteoporosis so she couldn't take the colder winters we get here.  But you get a lot of rain in the winter there, don't you?
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

The following users thanked this post: Ephesians6-12

Offline Ephesians6-12

• Hellebardier
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2020, 07:12:11 PM »

Yeah before she left the priest used to say "our friend Annette is going back to balmy ... uh bonny Scotland for the winter."  :)

She has osteoporosis so she couldn't take the colder winters we get here.  But you get a lot of rain in the winter there, don't you?

Aye, it does rain a lot. It's known for having four seasons in one day! Winters here are mild compared to somewhere like New York or Chicago, however I know a Finn who says it always seems colder here, and is more miserable.

The following users thanked this post: mikemac

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2020, 07:28:54 PM »

Aye, it does rain a lot. It's known for having four seasons in one day! Winters here are mild compared to somewhere like New York or Chicago, however I know a Finn who says it always seems colder here, and is more miserable.

No wonder you guys had so many good writers.

"Fellow citizens of Bonnie Dundee
Are ye aware how the magistrates have treated me?
Nay, do not stare or make a fuss
When I tell ye they have boycotted me from appearing in Royal Circus,
Which in my opinion is a great shame,
And a dishonour to the city's name (...)"

I must now conclude my lay
By telling the world fearlessly without the least dismay
That your central girders would not have given way,
At least many sensible men do say,
Had they been supported on each side with buttresses,
At least many sensible men confesses,
For the stronger we our houses do build,
The less chance we have of being killed.

-- William McGonagall
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

The following users thanked this post: Ephesians6-12