Author Topic: Hello Everyone!  (Read 456 times)

Offline truly-a-philosofan

• Hellebardier
  • Religion: Catholic
Hello Everyone!
« on: July 08, 2020, 03:58:05 AM »
What brings you to SD? I have known about it for a few years already, when I was searching for an explanation to a Catholic teaching (I do not remember which one though).
Are you a member of other Internet fora?  If so, care to mention which one(s)? Yes, I'm mostly active on Reddit and I do occassionally post content on Catholic Answers under a completely different username.
Why did you choose your username and avatar? My username is pretty much self-explanatory. But, I'm not an expert. I'm still struggling to understand Aristotle's Organon and other subjects philosophers had already discussed.
What is your state of life - single, married, religious, or still discerning? Single. Still discerning what is God's will for my life. Maybe I am called to the priesthood or maybe not.
Whereabouts do you live "in real life"? From the only former Spanish colony in Asia.
Personality type? Probably melancholic.
Favorite books? Consolation of Philosophy by the martyr Severinus (also known as "Boethius").
Favorite movies? Not much of a movie goer. But if I have to choose, it would be the Murder on the Orient Express (2017)
Favorite TV shows? I do not watch as much shows as I used to. My favorite show was an anime called Fate/Zero. I watched it more than four years ago.
Favorite sports/teams? I'm not much into sports. I once considered to take up Archery, but laziness and the pandemic got in the way (yes I admit that laziness is my personal problem that I need to face).
Have any hobbies? This I need to improve on. I used to paint as my hobby whenever I take breaks from University papers and exams. But I only do so when I'm in a good mood. Currently, I'm just motivated to finish reading the many books I have on the shelves and tables.
Pet peeves: High pitch sounds.
Fun random fact about yourself: I want to go back to Kyoto and walk through that bamboo forest again.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2020, 05:52:09 AM by truly-a-philosofan »
For the evil of the soul, its own will takes the initiative; but for its good, the will of its Creator makes the first move; whether to make the soul which did not yet exist, or to recreate it when it had perished through its fall.

St. Augustine, City of God XIII:15

The following users thanked this post: mikemac, Maximilian, Xavier, Davis Blank - EG, Tatum Forshway

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
Re: Hello Everyone!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 10:09:48 AM »
Welcome to the Forum; I also lived in a former Spanish Colony and in Spain.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

The following users thanked this post: truly-a-philosofan

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 04:12:43 PM »
 :toth:
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

Offline Tatum Forshway

• Mary Garden
  • Hellebardier
  • Be not disturbed, take everything in calmness.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2020, 04:53:24 PM »
Hi there philosofan what do you mean probably melancholic?  Know thyself!  XD  I don't even really know what that means, do you?

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 05:11:41 PM »
Do you Arnis? I once knew a dozen or so patterns. One of the best martial arts. If I were to ever go to Asia, it would be to the former Spanish colony.

Welcome to the forum. What's the powerlifting/strongman scene like in your neck of the woods? I like the German Idealism. I know I do.

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

• Hellebardier
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2020, 02:39:50 AM »
Do you Arnis? I once knew a dozen or so patterns. One of the best martial arts. If I were to ever go to Asia, it would be to the former Spanish colony.

Welcome to the forum. What's the powerlifting/strongman scene like in your neck of the woods? I like the German Idealism. I know I do.

Years ago, I once joined a school club specifically for Arnis martial arts. But the schedule for the training was irregular and, due to the busy schedule of the only trainer we had, the club was unfortunately discontinued only months after it had started. I still had my Arnis sticks until months ago. I know I lost it somewhere.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 02:44:22 AM by truly-a-philosofan »
For the evil of the soul, its own will takes the initiative; but for its good, the will of its Creator makes the first move; whether to make the soul which did not yet exist, or to recreate it when it had perished through its fall.

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich

• Hellebardier
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2020, 04:51:29 AM »
Hi there philosofan what do you mean probably melancholic?  Know thyself!  XD  I don't even really know what that means, do you?

Unsure as to whether I am leaning more on melancholic or choleric. Yes, I need to know more about myself.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 07:48:05 AM by truly-a-philosofan »

The following users thanked this post: Tatum Forshway

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2020, 12:29:08 PM »
Welcome to the forum. 
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.