Author Topic: Negative Effects of Social Media  (Read 393 times)

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans FrontiŤres
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Negative Effects of Social Media
« on: June 29, 2020, 01:30:23 PM »

Lots of information on how social media exploits and manipulates people.  The speaker takes the position that removing ourselves from social media is both in our best interest as individuals and in the best interest of society.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
Re: Negative Effects of Social Media
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 02:44:14 PM »
I agree.  I've never used Social Media for that reason.

But people are never going to give it up.  They are like crack addicts.  They will die or commit suicide and make their last post about that and count the likes and thumbs up on drop down.  If 911 happened today those jumpers would be on their smart phones live streaming as they dropped.

Social Media will be alive and well right up to AND during the Hairy Comet of Chastisement.

Offline coffeeandcigarette

• Mary Garden
  • Korporal
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 04:02:03 PM »

But people are never going to give it up.  They are like crack addicts.  They will die or commit suicide and make their last post about that and count the likes and thumbs up on drop down.  If 911 happened today those jumpers would be on their smart phones live streaming as they dropped.

Social Media will be alive and well right up to AND during the Hairy Comet of Chastisement.

I agree. It is too big a draw for all the bleary-eyed ego stroking/drama mongering sheeple. I don't think it will ever be given up. The most we can hope for is that some of the insanity will eventually get boring and be demonetized by the establishment. At least that way there would be less of it.

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 06:16:08 PM »
It is also a fabulous way for the powers that be to control the way you think.

So Social Media serves the people in power.

Offline The Curt Jester

• Water-drinker at the Coffee Social
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Neo-Pelagian Angry Traditionalist with Narcissistic Tendencies
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2020, 06:19:23 PM »
Social media:  You treat strangers like friends and family and your friends and family become like strangers because of it.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Miriam_M, Daniel, MundaCorMeum, coffeeandcigarette

Offline Innocent Smith

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 09:11:28 AM »
It's all very bad, but I think few realize how embedded this addiction can be for many of us.  The first time I saw my image on a TV screen while entering a store as a kid I felt famous.  It's true I can be prone to fits of narcissism, but you have to remember that up until then the only people I ever saw on TV were famous.  My point is that a person tends to be flattered when his image appears on a TV screen in a store rather than feel highly scrutinized. 

Is there a difference between store surveillance as practiced in the early 1970s vis a vis video camera and the type of surveillance practiced today if you sign up for any social media site?  Yes. Because, it is now all invasive and freely volunteered to anyone with an internet connection just because the world's richest data miners gave you an opportunity to organize your private life for public view, and hopefully, public admiration.

I just read an article where children who are bullied are becoming victims to lifestyle gurus that convince them they are transgender.  It is not hard to understand how a lonely child could be victims of all kinds of online predators that can seriously wreck a person's life before it even starts.
I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the modern man. But I shall not use it to kill him, only to bring him to life.

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 11:50:48 AM »
Interesting Innocent Smith.  I can remember feeling exactly like that in the 1970s and dancing around when they had a camera and TV set up in a department store.  Look at me I am on TV.

Since the Internet came along I've been very determined to stay off it as much as possible.  I only rarely let me wife take a picture of me and post it to her Facebook.  Never joined any SNs other than LinkedIn, which is a business thing.

I've always felt the best way to live life was to swim against the tide.  If everyone is doing something then it is probably because the elites are manipulating them and because 50% of them have an IQ less than 100.

I NEVER, absolutely NEVER do anything when it is fashionable or popular.  When people were wearing Adidas I bought Nike (1982).  When they bought Nike I bought Reebok.  When they bought Reebok I switched back to Adidas or Puma or New Balance.  I really hate following the crowd or being part of the crowd or attending sporting events or having someone on stage try to manipulate me into their "let's all clap together" routine, or "minute of silence" or "clap for the NHS" etc.

In fact one thing that use to concern me was what would happen if there was a miracle and the Church was restored and millions of people went to Mass and a sensible Church became mainstream again because I would suddenly have to join in, which I would really hate to do.

But now it is 2020 I don't have to worry about that prospect.  I'll be long dead if indeed it ever happens.

The following users thanked this post: Innocent Smith, Lynne

Offline Vetus Ordo

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Hopeful Fatalist
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 02:01:21 PM »
In fact one thing that use to concern me was what would happen if there was a miracle and the Church was restored and millions of people went to Mass and a sensible Church became mainstream again because I would suddenly have to join in, which I would really hate to do.

If you had been born in 14th century England, you would've likely been a Lollard.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

The following users thanked this post: Jayne, Fleur-de-Lys

Offline dueSicilie

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Counter-Reformation Romanist
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 05:09:44 PM »

If you had been born in 14th century England, you would've likely been a Lollard.

Donít say that  ::) there were many ways to be contrary or counter cultural without heresy

Offline King Wenceslas

• Fidelity to yesterday's truth consists precisely in abandoning it in assuming it into today's truth - BXVI
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2020, 08:20:22 PM »

Man by his own hands builds that which destroys his very self.

Offline Innocent Smith

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2020, 07:41:31 AM »
Interesting Innocent Smith.  I can remember feeling exactly like that in the 1970s and dancing around when they had a camera and TV set up in a department store.  Look at me I am on TV.

Since the Internet came along I've been very determined to stay off it as much as possible.  I only rarely let me wife take a picture of me and post it to her Facebook.  Never joined any SNs other than LinkedIn, which is a business thing.

I've always felt the best way to live life was to swim against the tide.  If everyone is doing something then it is probably because the elites are manipulating them and because 50% of them have an IQ less than 100.

I NEVER, absolutely NEVER do anything when it is fashionable or popular.  When people were wearing Adidas I bought Nike (1982).  When they bought Nike I bought Reebok.  When they bought Reebok I switched back to Adidas or Puma or New Balance.  I really hate following the crowd or being part of the crowd or attending sporting events or having someone on stage try to manipulate me into their "let's all clap together" routine, or "minute of silence" or "clap for the NHS" etc.

But now it is 2020 I don't have to worry about that prospect.  I'll be long dead if indeed it ever happens.

Pretty much my sentiments exactly.  Swimming against the tide is what I have done my entire life.  The funny thing is, it was never an actual conscious choice.  In other words to be contrarian for it's own sake.  It was just where I always found myself and continue to find myself. 

When everyone went to CDs I stayed with the vinyl.  I knew it sounded better and that CDs were basically communist.  Everyone gets the same result with  essentially the same cheap player no matter the badge on the unit.  But everyone else was convinced CDs were better. 

Same with stocks.  I missed a heck of a lot of returns over the past 20 years because I don't like to gamble with my money as I was raised to be a reasonable investor.

Very interesting what you say about an actual mainstream Church where the majority practice and actually try to live up to the rigors of the Faith.  Because a natural follow-up question to such a statement may be a bit uncomfortable. 

Are we currently swimming against the tide in order to restore what lemmings in the past happily participated in and followed along? 

Do we truly believe it all or do we just recognize, or at least perceive, that the best organization of society occurred around 1300 in Europe.  Just look at the fruits of the labor, organization, cooperation, and what these seeds eventually blossomed into.

To be honest I kind of go back and forth.  I think that is reasonable.  But this is not something I dwell too much on.  I only think about it when I am getting to the end of my thinking.  As I am competent to know my thinking ends at the unknowable. 

That's my skepticism in a nutshell. 

It is possible that a King one day said to a queer brother or nephew, "I will make them fear me, you make them silly!", as the latter was about to be ordained.  Could be the Masters of the Universe at the time seeded the Church with their homosexual brethren since they couldn't think of anything else for them to do.  Not a bad idea as I have also noticed Saints that I suspected were the mentally ill scions of wealthy Italian families.

I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the modern man. But I shall not use it to kill him, only to bring him to life.

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2020, 08:15:21 AM »
I have been one for so long that I cannot remember if it was a conscious choice or not.

I remember we all shouted at the TV in the 1970s and mocked the liberal zeitgeist at the time.  I can remember thinking that male glam rock musicians were fairies and dressed like women and I found it repulsive at 6 years old.  I was repulsed by David Bowie.  About the time that Abba won the Eurovision song contest was when I can remember watching adult TV.

I liked that blonde one though.  Phhhooooorrrrr!!!

Around 1975 I came to understand what abortion was and by 1978 we were going to the Latin Mass.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 08:27:51 AM by Greg »

Offline TradGranny

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 12:47:00 PM »

I totally agree with your decision, except for this:

Discussion forums are one of the oldest types of social media.

Before we connected to our first university friends on The Facebook, we discussed pop culture, current affairs, and asked for help on forums. Take a look at the wide reach and massive user numbers on forums such as reddit, Quora, and Digg and youíll see that the publicís thirst for collective knowledge and wisdom remains unquenchable.
https://blog.hootsuite.com/types-of-social-media/
To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 01:39:55 PM »
They are not social media if you are anonymous.

That is a VERY clear difference.

Social media is all about being a peacock and showing your feathers, political, looks, clothes, brands, material things.

The following users thanked this post: TradGranny

Offline TradGranny

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 06:38:29 PM »
They are not social media if you are anonymous.

That is a VERY clear difference.

Social media is all about being a peacock and showing your feathers, political, looks, clothes, brands, material things.

Whew! For a minute, I thought I was going to have to give up SD.
To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila