Author Topic: Public Masses have finally restarted in Montreal!  (Read 219 times)

Offline trentcath

• Feldwebel
Public Masses have finally restarted in Montreal!
« on: June 25, 2020, 09:35:34 AM »
I realise most people won't be interested but I thought I should share my joy  ;D Sadly, the masses in question are only offered by the SSPX, the diocese is dragging its heels so no other public masses have been authorised so far even though the government allows them. Hence, the FSSP are hobbled by a useless diocese  >:(

The following users thanked this post: LausTibiChriste, Xavier

Online Obrien

• Mary Garden
  • Korporal
Re: Public Masses have finally restarted in Montreal!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 12:40:58 PM »
That is wonderful news! Thank you for sharing.

The following users thanked this post: trentcath

Offline trentcath

• Feldwebel
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 01:06:35 PM »
That is wonderful news! Thank you for sharing.

I try to share some positive news every now and again for a change  :laugh:

I should also add I was very impressed by the SSPX, I had to leave my details for tracing purposes at the last mass in March so they phone me twice and left a voicemail to tell me masses were restarted and to contact them to book a place. You could also tell that the poor guy (or member of the clergy, not sure...) who called me was really making an effort to speak English, an attitude that isn't common here in Quebec aha.

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 01:13:15 PM »
Did the SSPX in Sherbrooke continue during the lockdowns?
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline trentcath

• Feldwebel
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 02:57:48 PM »
Did the SSPX in Sherbrooke continue during the lockdowns?

No clue I'm afraid.

Offline trentcath

• Feldwebel
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 10:35:06 AM »
As an update, the FSSP also restarted masses but are not giving communion as the bishop banned communion on the tongue  ::) the SSPX are also taking things a little too seriously imo with hand sanitiser, every second row blocked etc... Still, I am very grateful to be able to go to mass for the first time in months and Fr Couture gave a wonderful sermon on the lessons to take from the past few months.

Offline Lynne

• happy to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • We're all special snowflakes
  • Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 11:33:11 AM »
As an update, the FSSP also restarted masses but are not giving communion as the bishop banned communion on the tongue  ::) the SSPX are also taking things a little too seriously imo with hand sanitiser, every second row blocked etc... Still, I am very grateful to be able to go to mass for the first time in months and Fr Couture gave a wonderful sermon on the lessons to take from the past few months.

When our SSPX Masses went back to "normal" (they didn't really stop because Father offered several more Masses so we could keep under the 10 person limit), the every other pew thing is to ensure "social distancing". It's a pain but if someone came to check and saw no "social distancing", the Masses could be shut down again. Thankfully, here in the US, we don't have the hand sanitizer nonsense.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 11:53:02 AM »
Thought I would report this as I heard from my sister who recently visited.  80% of people are wearing the "compulsory" face masks on the London Underground.  20% are not.

Nothing is happening to the non-compliant 20%.

The following users thanked this post: Blue Violet

Offline trentcath

• Feldwebel
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2020, 04:27:32 PM »

When our SSPX Masses went back to "normal" (they didn't really stop because Father offered several more Masses so we could keep under the 10 person limit), the every other pew thing is to ensure "social distancing". It's a pain but if someone came to check and saw no "social distancing", the Masses could be shut down again. Thankfully, here in the US, we don't have the hand sanitizer nonsense.

Yes, I guess it makes sense. Even if totally ridiculous... also gave a good sermon about how now authority on earth can block access to the sacraments etc... Not sure how that works re previous papal interdictions though  :huh:

Offline Lynne

• happy to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • We're all special snowflakes
  • Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2020, 06:42:54 AM »

Yes, I guess it makes sense. Even if totally ridiculous... also gave a good sermon about how now authority on earth can block access to the sacraments etc... Not sure how that works re previous papal interdictions though  :huh:

Papal interdictions were issued on a small group/location, used to wake the parties involved about their bad behaviour. This covid nonsense is not at all related to that.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2020, 06:50:19 AM »
The conciliar church folded (expected).

Traditionalist priests, nearly all of them, folded too (disappointing).

We've been having mass in a private garden here every 2 weeks.  A private tudor house from the 1500s with about 3 acres of land and a small orchard.  I am making Russian salads for after mass this weekend.

Offline mikemac

• Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2020, 09:33:01 AM »
For the past two weeks our diocese has been back to the regular times for Mass.  Although every third pew is being use, with directions down middle aisle and back side aisles.  No holy water.  We go up to receive Communion after the Leonine Prayers; on the tongue of course, while kneeling six feet apart.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

The following users thanked this post: trentcath, Blue Violet

Offline trentcath

• Feldwebel
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2020, 10:00:41 AM »

Papal interdictions were issued on a small group/location, used to wake the parties involved about their bad behaviour. This covid nonsense is not at all related to that.

Very true, but I think its too far to say "no authority on earth has the power to stop you from accessing the sacraments" (of course this had an implication that you were worthy etc) Clearly there are circumstances when you can be barred, even if Covid wasn't one of them.

Offline Greg

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2020, 11:46:18 AM »
No secular authority needs the power.

It just says it is closing other things and the Church closes itself down.  Scared of their own shadow.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Blue Violet

Offline trentcath

• Feldwebel
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2020, 12:32:27 PM »
No secular authority needs the power.

It just says it is closing other things and the Church closes itself down.  Scared of their own shadow.

Sad, but these days, true.