Author Topic: An Introduction  (Read 520 times)

Offline AlmostATrad

• Hellebardier
  • Religion: Catholic
An Introduction
« on: June 24, 2020, 08:19:25 PM »
Hello everybody!

I'm interested in joining this forum (although, I still don't know if I'm actually planning on posting much), and I got the impression that this was a good place to make an introduction. I guess here are some good things to know about me:

1. I'm young, and have been told many times, by many people, that I am naive and idealistic. I feel like spending too much time here will help with that, lol. But in all seriousness, I obviously don't think of myself as either of those things. If I did, I would recognize it as an issue and try to fix it.

2. I am a free thinker, or at least I'd like to think that I'm a free thinker. I dislike labelling my positions into any group (hence my username), and I tend to hold beliefs which are often thought of as contrary to my other beliefs. I do believe that all of my beliefs are self consistent and consistent with all the others though.

3. If my writing style makes me sound like I overthink things and have anxiety, it's because I overthink things and have anxiety. Nuff said.

4. I do not feel like I'm well versed in dogma, literature, the bible, popular culture, or really anything at all. So most of my thoughts or arguments come from me just thinking to myself a lot and occasionally talking to people or watching random stuff. I think I'll try to make it clear that I generally don't know what I'm talking about, but if I ever come off as sounding like I know what I'm talking about, remember that you're probably making a false presumption.

5. I generally don't speak in certain terms, in case you haven't noticed lol.

With all that being said, I'll try to answer the recommended questions too, and please feel free to ask me questions!

What brings you to SD? I really enjoy debating with people. Also, I already know someone on this forum, so I'm not going into it completely blindsided at least.
Are you a member of other Internet fora?  If so, care to mention which one(s)? Nope. This will be my first forum. And if I post actively, this will pretty much be my first time being active online.
Why did you choose your username and avatar? I chose my username because I wanted to make it clear from the beginning where I stand, I was going to go with NotATrad, but that seems a little harsher than my position. I attend a weekly Traditional Latin Mass and I appreciate heightened sense of reverence that I get from there more than Novus Ordo, but I associate the title of trad to be more specifically militant anti-NO.
What is your state of life - single, married, religious, or still discerning? I am still pretty young, so I have not ruled out the possibility that I will be called to priesthood, but it's not something that I've really been making any deliberate steps towards
Whereabouts do you live "in real life"? (be as specific or as general as you wish!) I'm Canadian eh?  ;D
Personality type? Friendly? I hope?
Favorite books? I don't think I have a favourite book. I like Douglas Adams' humour though.
Favorite movies? I honestly have no clue.
Favorite TV shows? I've watched too many to decide.
Favorite sports/teams I haven't watched enough to decide.
Have any hobbies? In one aspect, I have no hobbies. But looking at it in another way, my job right now is self improvement, and everything else is a hobby. Or maybe, my job is being a student, my hobbies are other things that I do to improve myself (so, pretty much nothing), and everything else (the majority of my time), is just a distraction.
Pet peeves: Myself, self deprecation, irony, sarcasm, irony, and repetition.
Fun random fact about yourself: Ummm... I've never had a pet?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 08:23:34 PM by AlmostATrad »

The following users thanked this post: Jayne, Xavier

Online mikemac

• Hauptmann
Re: An Introduction
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2020, 08:48:07 PM »
 :toth:  Welcome to the forum.   :canada:  Me too.  I like your honesty and humility.
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima’s prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is “despair, overcome.”
Source

The following users thanked this post: Xavier, AlmostATrad

Offline Lynne

• Thankful to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 07:39:15 AM »
Welcome!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

The following users thanked this post: AlmostATrad

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 08:57:17 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Almost.  I'm always pleased to see another Canadian show up.  There are not that many of us here, but we try to make our presence felt. 
:canada:

It's too bad that the label "trad" has a negative connotation for you.  I don't know if hanging around this forum will do anything to change that, though.  :)  Anyhow, I hope being here is a good experience for you.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 10:47:10 AM »
Get a Rosary, have it blessed. Then get a Rottweiler and a weight set(or kettle bells). Use them all for their intended ends. Frequently. Things will work their way out from there. Welcome.

NB: Search out posts from Davis Blank, James03, Michael Wilson, MikeMac, Greg and a former poster, Gardener.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline Jacob

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2020, 11:19:51 AM »
You don't have a favorite movie?  How about this: what's the oldest movie you've seen? :)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
--Neal Stephenson

The following users thanked this post: Pon de Replay

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2020, 03:09:45 PM »
 :toth:
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2020, 04:45:55 PM »
Welcome.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Offline AlmostATrad

• Hellebardier
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 06:31:45 PM »
You don't have a favorite movie?  How about this: what's the oldest movie you've seen? :)

Well alright, that'll make it a little bit easier at least  :)  I'm pretty sure the oldest movie I've technically seen is Casablanca, but that's more of a faded memory from when I was a kid. I generally don't pay attention to how old a movie is when I'm watching it, but I'd say the oldest movie I've seen fairly recently and fully remember is To Kill a Mockingbird. That would also be a strong contender for my favourite movie too. Or at least, it might be my favourite of that type of movie.

The following users thanked this post: Non Nobis

Offline Jacob

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 11:19:21 PM »
Those are both excellent old movies.  A+  Can't go wrong with Atticus and Rick.
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
--Neal Stephenson

The following users thanked this post: Non Nobis

Offline TheReturnofLive

• The Gentile
  • Wachtmeister
  • An Excommunicant
  • Religion: Doubting Roman Catholic
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2020, 02:10:36 AM »
Get a Rosary, have it blessed. Then get a Rottweiler and a weight set(or kettle bells). Use them all for their intended ends. Frequently. Things will work their way out from there. Welcome.

NB: Search out posts from Davis Blank, James03, Michael Wilson, MikeMac, Greg and a former poster, Gardener.

A Rottweiler will rip your face out.
Get a Doberman; they are intimidating but can be very friendly dogs. They are high maintenance though.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 02:20:00 AM by TheReturnofLive »

Offline Heinrich

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2020, 08:39:07 AM »
I have had two dobbies. Great dogs. Can't go wrong if trained well.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

The following users thanked this post: TheReturnofLive

Offline AlmostATrad

• Hellebardier
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2020, 09:47:55 AM »

Get a Doberman; they are intimidating but can be very friendly dogs. They are high maintenance though.

I always have liked dogs, I've just never felt like I'd be able to handle the responsibility of having one. I'll probably get one if/when I'm financially stable, live by myself, and in a place in life where I don't expect things to be changing a lot.

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich

Offline Heinrich

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2020, 05:23:58 PM »

I always have liked dogs, I've just never felt like I'd be able to handle the responsibility of having one. I'll probably get one if/when I'm financially stable, live by myself, and in a place in life where I don't expect things to be changing a lot.

Right. They are a big responsibility. I dial back my advice. Don't get a dog just yet. Wait until you have plenty of space and a wife who likes dogs. I would also wait until a few of your children are 5+ in age.

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2020, 12:54:31 PM »
Welcome to the Forum!
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers