Author Topic: Feast of Corpus Christi  (Read 178 times)

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Feast of Corpus Christi
« on: June 11, 2020, 01:06:06 PM »
The sequence  for today's Mass was written by St.Thomas Aquinas:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lauda_Sion

"Lauda Sion" is a sequence prescribed for the Roman Catholic Mass for the feast of Corpus Christi. It was written by St. Thomas Aquinas around 1264, at the request of Pope Urban IV for the new Mass of this feast, along with Pange lingua, Sacris solemniis, Adoro te devote and Verbum supernum prodiens, which are used in the Divine Office.

I like all of these hymns very much but Adoro te devote is my favourite.  I have asked my family to have it sung at my funeral because of the last stanza which means:

Jesus, whom now I see hidden,
I ask You to fulfill what I so desire:
That the sight of Your Face being unveiled
I may have the happiness of seeing Your glory.

I watched a live-streamed Mass today.  It did not turn out to be the quiet meditative experience I was planning because I ended up watching it with my four year old granddaughter.  Nevertheless, trying to explain the Real Presence in terms that could be grasped by a young child was probably also an appropriate way to celebrate.  :)
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Maximilian, Padraig, MundaCorMeum, Davis Blank - EG

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Feast of Corpus Christi
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 01:38:02 PM »
I have a daughter making her First Communion today.  She's my 5th to have made First Communion on or around Corpus Christi  :)

The following users thanked this post: Jayne, Maximilian, Davis Blank - EG