Author Topic: When does Eastertide end?  (Read 331 times)

Offline Laurentius Ioannes Vong

• Hellebardier
  • Religion: Roman Catholicism
When does Eastertide end?
« on: June 06, 2020, 09:45:39 PM »
Is the entire Octave of Pentecost in Eastertide? I'm asking this because we start singing Salve Regina and Asperges me on Trinity Sunday, the octave day of Pentecost; suggesting that Time after Pentecost has already started.

Offline Davis Blank - EG

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: When does Eastertide end?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 06:40:27 AM »
A good question.

I think the Octave of Pentecost runs from the Vigil of Pentecost through the Ember Saturday of Pentecost (rather than the Easter Octave which incorporates two Sundays).  The vestments for the Vigil through Saturday are all red whereas Trinity Sunday is white, and then green thereafter.  Easter and Pentecost traditionally were the greatest octaves and no other feasts are celebrated during these two octaves (i.e. no feasts for saints, can see on calendar), hence again it seems that Trinity Sunday is after the Pentecost Octave.  My Baronius Missal also introduces Trinity Sunday as beginning  the time after Pentecost.  It marks all the Pentecost Octave Masses as being within Eastertide and Trinity Sunday as being a new time (the time after Pentecost).

I may be incorrect though.

The following users thanked this post: Jayne, aquinas138

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 10:26:59 AM »
My Little Office of the Blessed Virgin says to use the Regina Caeli (which is a specifically Eastertide prayer, full of "alleluias") for the Antiphon up to Compline of the Saturday preceding Trinity Sunday, at which point the antiphon changes to Salve Regina.  So I have been assuming that Saturday Compline is the end of Eastertide.

I also found this chart when I was looking into it.  (I was wondering about the same thing as the OP even before he asked the question.) 

http://www.holytrinitygerman.org/postpentecostschema.html

The Octave of Pentecost

(Note: technically this is not a part of the Time After Pentecost, but its point of departure)

Pentecost (Whitsunday). Fifty days after Easter, the descent of the Holy Spirit on the Apostles. One of the three greatest feasts of the liturgical year.
Ember Wednesday within the Octave of Pentecost. See Ember Days, etc.
Ember Friday within the Octave of Pentecost
Ember Saturday within the Octave of Pentecost
The end of Paschaltide (after the office of None on Saturday afternoon).

As you can see, it says that Eastertide ends after None.  Anyhow, I have narrowed it down to sometime on Saturday.  Trinity Sunday is its own thing, not part of the Octave of Pentecost.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 11:02:41 AM by Jayne »
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Davis Blank - EG

Offline Maximilian

• Hauptmann
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 05:04:35 PM »
Just to confirm what everyone else has said, my 1948 missal says that Whit-Saturday is the last day of the Paschal season, and that Trinity Sunday (formerly called "First Sunday after Pentecost") is the first day of following season.

It also offers an additional note, however, that the following day of Trinity Sunday still qualifies for making one's Easter duty.

The following users thanked this post: Jayne, Padraig, Davis Blank - EG

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 05:54:31 PM »
My youngest son and I, being the only two morning people in the household, have gotten into the custom of saying Angelus together early in the morning.  For Eastertide, we switched to Regina Caeli   and I set myself the challenge of memorizing it in Latin.  As we were approaching Pentecost, I was still stumbling over one phrase.  We started making a running gag of talking about my memorization project using dramatic sports announcer language.  It became a "thrilling race against time" etc.

I still did not quite have it on Pentecost Sunday, but finally mastered it during the Octave.  We called it "going into overtime."  :) 

(Just think, if we had been using the Novus Ordo calendar, I would have lost.  Yet another proof of the superiority of tradition.)
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, MundaCorMeum, aquinas138

Offline aquinas138

• Wachtmeister
  • Παναγία Τριάς, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς!
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 10:44:15 PM »
The end of None on Whit-Saturday makes the most sense. Before the 1911 reforms, Regina Caeli stopped after None of Whit-Saturday — in addition to Compline, the antiphons were said after Lauds daily and whenever any hour or aggregation of hours was said in choir. Pretty sure Divino Afflatu is the same, but not sure after the changes in the 1950s and in 1960.
O Mary most pure, golden censer that became the tabernacle of the uncontainable divinity, in you the Father was well pleased; in you the Son did dwell; and the Holy Spirit, by overshadowing you, revealed you to be the Birthgiver of God.

The following users thanked this post: Jayne

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Never have been "MiriamB"
  • Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 03:24:42 AM »

It also offers an additional note, however, that the following day of Trinity Sunday still qualifies for making one's Easter duty.

Our priest on Trinity Sunday reminded all that "today" was the last day to make one's Easter Duty, so what is in your older missal remains true.  Further, the Schola sang the Salve Regina.

In a separate setting, a trad sermon I listened to reinforced this by noting that the day after Trinity Sunday marks the beginning of the second half the liturgical year -- the first half focusing on the beginning and development of the Church, the second half on the Church's activity and mission.

The following users thanked this post: Jayne