Author Topic: When you can't be at mass  (Read 276 times)

Offline Chestertonian

• The Stephen Hawking of SD
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Eternal Gadfly
  • Religion: Catholic
When you can't be at mass
« on: March 26, 2020, 10:58:30 PM »
I haven't been able to be physically present at mass in years.  it's been isolating, despair inducing, depressing and horrible for my sense of wellbeing.  It takes more effort for me to unite myself to our Lord from home.  Lent feels the same as Easter feels the same as Christmas.

Life goes on though.  The Mass happens without me there.  He is still there even when we can't be and he knows our hearts.  I have spent a lot of wasted time dwelling on not being able to physically be with our Lord.  Don't be like me and spend time wallowing in your inability to be there physically when you can trust that God knows your heart.  "For where your heart is your treasure will be also." Dwell on that instead.

God doesn't expect us to do the impossible he does the impossible FOR us

"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Offline clau clau

• My other bike is a Pinarello
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Traditionalist videogamer - I only play 8-bit video games
Re: When you can't be at mass
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 02:27:14 AM »
Would you like to shake hands with Pope 1 or Pope 2 -
 me (inspired by Dr Seuss) see: https://seuss.fandom.com/wiki/Thing_One_and_Thing_Two

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Prayerful, Christe Eleison

Offline Christe Eleison

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 05:43:59 AM »
I haven't been able to be physically present at mass in years.  it's been isolating, despair inducing, depressing and horrible for my sense of wellbeing.  It takes more effort for me to unite myself to our Lord from home.  Lent feels the same as Easter feels the same as Christmas.

Life goes on though.  The Mass happens without me there.  He is still there even when we can't be and he knows our hearts.  I have spent a lot of wasted time dwelling on not being able to physically be with our Lord.  Don't be like me and spend time wallowing in your inability to be there physically when you can trust that God knows your heart.  "For where your heart is your treasure will be also." Dwell on that instead.

God doesn't expect us to do the impossible he does the impossible FOR us

Thank you, Ches. This a beautiful post.
May Our Lord Bless you & your loved ones.  :pray2: :pray3:

:grouphug:

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Aeternitus, awkwardcustomer, martin88nyc

Offline diaduit

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 12:32:03 PM »
Yeah, I needed a bit of perspective alright.

Thanks
 :pray2:

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Aeternitus, Christe Eleison

Offline martin88nyc

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 12:55:03 PM »
very good post Ches. God Bless you and your family.
"These things I have spoken to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you shall have distress: but have confidence, I have overcome the world." John 16:33

The following users thanked this post: Christe Eleison

Offline Aeternitus

• Vizekorporal
  • Religion: Roman Catholic

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Prayerful, Christe Eleison

Offline Chestertonian

• The Stephen Hawking of SD
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Eternal Gadfly
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

Offline TradGranny

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 03:45:34 PM »
Spiritual Communion and the Fruits of the Mass by Fr. William Rock, FSSP
   In this troubling time, God and His Church have not abandoned you. Even with the prohibition of public Mass and Communion Services, there are still many sources of grace which are open to you. I would like to discuss two of them here — Spiritual Communions and the General Fruits of the Mass.
   Following the teachings of the Catechism of the Council of Trent (1), also known as the Roman Catechism, there are three ways in which one can receive Communion: (1) Sacramentally-only; (2) Sacramentally-and-Spiritually; and (3) Spiritually-only.
   Those who receive Communion while knowing they are in a state of Mortal Sin receive Sacramentally -only. This is because, while they truly receive the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ under the appearances of bread and wine, they do not receive any spiritual benefits. On the contrary, they incur an additional sin.
   Those who receive Communion Sacramentally-and-Spiritually receive the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ under the appearances of bread and wine and do receive spiritual benefits.
   Those who receive Communion Spiritually-only receive the spiritual benefits of Communion without receiving the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ under the appearances of bread and wine.
   The Catechism goes on to explain that those who receive Spiritually-only “are those who, inflamed with a lively faith which worketh by charity (Gal. 5:6), partake in, wish and desire of that celestial bread.” There are several things that should be noted from this passage.
   The first is that in order to receive Spiritually-only, one must be in a state of grace, as the theological virtue of charity and Sanctifying Grace always exist together. So, one must have Sanctifying Grace, or be in a state of grace, in order to make a Spiritual Communion. If you are not in a state of grace, receive sacramental absolution as soon as you can (and be praying Acts of Contrition in the meantime).
   Next, it is important to note that a Spiritual Communion must include a wish and desire to receive Sacramentally-and-Spiritually even though such a reception at the current time is not possible. It would be enough, then, when beginning to make a Spiritual Communion to pray, “Lord, I wish to receive You in a sacramental and fruitful Communion, but, as I can’t right now, I wish to receive You spiritually,” and then continue to pray as you would when receiving Sacramentally-and-Spiritually. There are prayers which are recommended by the Church for making a Spiritual Communion. They do not necessarily need to be used, and one can draw phrases and ideas from them, based on one’s own dispositions, to prepare one’s own.
   Spiritual Communions can be made at any time during the day or night, and as many times as one wants. One does not need to be in a church, in front of the Tabernacle, or even in front of a holy image. Spiritual Communions can be made anywhere, although clearly, it would be unfitting to make them in places ill-suited for virtue.
   We should not worry that our sanctification is in some way impeded by receiving Spiritually-only and not Sacramentally-and-Spiritually during this time. As the Catechism states, those who receive Spiritually-only “receive, if not the entire [spiritual benefit of a Sacramental-and-Spiritual Communion], at least very great fruits.” So, the graces received from Spiritual-only Communions can be as great as the graces received in a Sacramental-and-Spiritual Communion.
   But, in order to receive as many graces and fruits from a Spiritual Communion as one can, or even from a Sacramental-and-Spiritual Communion, one must be properly disposed. pray preparatory prayers before receiving Sacramentally-and-Spiritually. These prayers can be found in Missals or one could pray using one’s own words. How long one should spend praying such prayers will depend on the other duties one has to fulfill. Preparations before receiving either Sacramentally-and-Spiritually or Spiritually-only should include some form of an Act of Contrition.

Spiritual Communion by St. Alphonsus Liguori:
   My Jesus, I believe that You are present in the most Blessed Sacrament. I love You above all things and I desire to receive You into my soul. Since I cannot now receive You sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there, and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You. Amen.
To have courage for whatever comes in life - everything lies in that.
Saint Teresa of Avila

The following users thanked this post: Jayne

Offline Jayne

• Mary Garden
  • Major
  • Comic Sans Frontières
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 08:01:25 PM »
Of Spiritual Communion.
(Extract from the Catholic Classic, The Spiritual Combat by Fr. Dom Lorenzo Scupoli)
Although a real communion is at the oftenest restrained to once a day, yet you are at liberty, as was said above, to communicate in spirit every hour; and nothing but your own negligence can prevent your receiving this great benefit. And it is worth observing, that a spiritual communion is sometimes of greater advantage to the soul, and more acceptable to God, than many sacramental communions performed with little preparation and affection. When, therefore, you are disposed to receive the Son of God spiritually, be sure he is ready to give himself thus to you for your food and nourishment.

By way of preparation, turn your thoughts toward Jesus, and after a little reflection on the multitude of your sins, declare to him your sincere sorrow for them. Then beg of him with the most profound respect and lively faith, that he will condescend to enter your heart, and replenish it with a new grace, as a remedy against its weakness and the violence of its enemies. Every time you mortify any of your passions, or perform some act of virtue, take that opportunity of preparing your heart for the Son of God, who continually demands it of you; then for addressing yourself to him, beg, with great fervour, the blessing of his presence, as the physician of your soul, as a powerful protector to take and keep possession of your heart against all opponents.

Call likewise to mind your last sacramental communion; and inflamed with the love of your Saviour, say to him: when shall I receive thee again, O my God? When will the happy day return? But if you desire to communicate, spiritually, with greater devotion, begin to prepare for it every night; and let every mortification and each act of virtue you practice, tend to prepare you for receiving, in spirit, your amiable Redeemer.

In the morning when you awake, meditate on the great advantages accruing from a holy communion, in which the soul retrieves lost virtues, recovers her former purity, is rendered worthy to partake of the merits of the cross, and performs an action highly pleasing to the eternal Father, who desires that every one should enjoy this divine sacrament. From hence endeavour to excite in your soul an ardent desire of receiving him in compliance with his will; and with this disposition say: Lord, since I am not allowed to receive thee this day sacramentally, let thy goodness and almighty power so order it, that cleansed from the stain of sin, and healed of all my wounds, I may deserve to receive thee in spirit, now, each day and hour; to the end that being strengthened with new grace, I may courageously resist my enemies, especially that failing, against which, for the love of thee, I now wage war.
Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto Thine.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne