Author Topic: .  (Read 233 times)

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
« on: March 17, 2020, 07:24:23 AM »
If a man has a dream in which he eats a meal, then is he still allowed to eat a meal "in real life" that day? Or does the dream meal take the place of his meal?

I'm aware that St. Thomas Aquinas regards dreams as non-real. So I bet he'd say that the question is absurd, and that of course the dream meal does not use up the meal. Because you didn't yet really eat any meals that day.

However, Thomistic metaphysics isn't an official teaching of the Church. So it seems the question is left unanswered.

In either case, fasting is a matter of canon law, not divine command. So I suppose I shouldn't be asking whether Thomistic metaphysics is true but only whether the writers of the canon law believed it to be true.

I do notice that the writers of the Code of Canon Law do seem to explicitly endorse St. Thomas (Can. 252 3). However, Can. 252 3 seems to be referring only to theology and not to philosophy, in which case it might not be safe to assume that the fasting law presupposes Thomistic metaphysics after all.

Anyone know if this particular question (about the dream meals) is addressed anywhere in the law, or whether any lawyers have ever commented on it explicitly?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 08:40:39 AM by Daniel »

Offline Davis Blank - EG

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: Question about dreams and fasting
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 07:33:16 AM »
Go eat.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Daniel, MundaCorMeum

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 08:21:35 AM »
In hindsight, guess this was a stupid question after all.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 08:48:25 AM by Daniel »

Offline abc123

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Anglican
Re: .
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 05:01:00 PM »
The Gospel of Grace is freedom and joy.

Unburden your shackles. Or rather, accept that HE has unburdened you.