Author Topic: Pray the Hail Mary "for" someone?  (Read 172 times)

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
Pray the Hail Mary "for" someone?
« on: March 16, 2020, 07:32:53 PM »
How do we pray a Hail Mary "for" someone? I guess what I'm confused about is the fact that the prayer itself seems pretty explicit in whom we're asking Mary to pray for. (The prayer says "pray for us sinners", not "pray for so-and-so".) So I'm not sure I understand how this works.

Are we supposed to speak the words while having some different intention in mind? Like, we withhold the explicit (vocalized) intention, while adding the (non-vocalized) intention of asking Mary to pray for the person we want her to pray for? (This doesn't sound right... aren't our words supposed to signify our intentions? What's the point in speaking something other than what you're asking for?)

Or is our intention completely irrelevant, since so-and-so is presumably a sinner and is thus already included among "us sinners"? (Though I've heard that St. Thomas says something along the lines that general prayers aren't as strong as particular prayers? So it seems there needs to be a particular intention or else you're not really praying the Hail Mary "for" that person any more than you're praying the Hail Mary for the billions of other people that you also happen to be praying for.)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 07:34:55 PM by Daniel »

The following users thanked this post: Christe Eleison