Author Topic: Duolingo  (Read 2709 times)

Offline Fleur-de-Lys

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
Re: Duolingo
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2020, 09:55:35 PM »
Why not just order in French? :)

Well now, where's the fun in that?  :D
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 10:02:43 PM by Fleur-de-Lys »

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2020, 10:15:50 PM »
Why not just order in French? :)

Well now, where's the fun in that?  :D

Well, depends on who you’re eating with I suppose.

The following users thanked this post: Fleur-de-Lys

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2020, 06:44:19 AM »
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 06:48:06 AM by Daniel »

Offline Xavier

• Eternal Father, through Mary's Immaculate Heart, We Offer You the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ in Atonement for our sins and those of the Whole World.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Slave of the Risen Jesus in the Holy Sacrifice.
    • Marian Apostolate Life Offering.
  • Religion: St. Thomas' Indult Traditional Roman Catholic.
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2020, 10:42:38 AM »
I only heard of DuoLingo through the posters here at SD. I signed up some time ago.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Xavier369818 I won a Latin trophy. Working on the Greek now.

I also signed up for some other languages just for fun. Took French in high school so brushing up on that.
To understand God's Plan for Humanity, and how He has provided the means by which we can minimize the Coming Great Tribulation, read: https://maryrefugeofholylove.com/

Offer your Life to Jesus and Mary: TEXT OF THE LIFE OFFERING, adapted: Dear Lord Jesus, before the Holy Trinity, Our Heavenly Mother, and the whole Heavenly Court, united with Your most Precious Blood and Your Sacrifice on Calvary, We hereby Offer our whole Lives to the Intention of Your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Together with our life, we place at Your disposal all Holy Masses, all our Holy Communions, all Rosaries, all acts of consecration, all our good deeds, all our sacrifices, and the suffering of our entire life for the Adoration and Supplication of the Holy Trinity, for Unity in our Holy Mother Church, for the Holy Father, Pope Francis the First; and for His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI. For His Eminence Patriarch Kirill of Moscow, His Excellency Metropolitan Hilarion, as well as His Eminence Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople, that they may re-unite their flocks with the Roman Catholic Church, and there may soon be but One Fold and One Shepherd. For all the 220+ Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, for all 6000+ Bishops of the Universal Church that they may be true Apostles and Shepherds; and for the 400,000+ Priests, the 700,000+ Nuns, 50,000+ Monks, 100,000+ seminarians, that they may all become the Saints the Divine Will wishes them to be; for all the 1.35 Billion Members of the Church, the Millions of Catholic Catechumens and Children to be born and baptized in this Decade; we pray for good Priestly and Religious Vocations, for All Lay Apostolates, and All Souls until the end of the world. O my Jesus, please accept our life Sacrifice and our offerings and give us Your grace that we may all persevere obediently until death. Amen." https://marianapostolate.com/life-offering/

"Mother of God, Co-Redemptrix of the world, pray for us" [Promise: 1000 Souls from Purgatory]"This short prayer, this insistent prayer, every time it is said, sets free from Purgatory 1000 Souls, who reach the Eternal Joy, the Eternal Light"(!). http://www.jesusmariasite.org/jesus-pray-my-children-that-the-fifth-marian-dogma-be-proclaimed/

The following users thanked this post: Vetus Ordo, Lynne, Fleur-de-Lys

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2020, 08:44:26 AM »
I just tried it out with Latin. I'd like it more if they had used the ecclesiastical pronunciations, but what do you expect? (I just disabled the sounds. Classical pronunciation gets on my nerves.)

Seems more like a game, but it just might work for reading/writing/translation practice. So far it reminds me very much of Hans Ørberg's Lingua Latina. I doubt it'll help much with speaking or fluency though, but you gotta start somewhere.

My only other complaint so far is the "woman has a wife" thing. I don't know if they're just trying to be goofy, or trying to push an agenda, but it's one strike against them.

edit - I must also say that I'm impressed at the flexibility in the way they allow you to translate the sentences (Latin to English as well as English to Latin... there's not just one single right answer, which is good, because Latin doesn't perfectly map onto English in the first place). I only wish that they'd allow for a "thou"/"ye" distinction, but I suppose it's no big deal.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 08:53:08 AM by Daniel »

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Xavier

Offline Fleur-de-Lys

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2020, 12:45:15 AM »
I find myself spending a lot more time on Duolingo these days. :P

I'm still learning German, Russian, and Arabic, and I recently started Chinese, which I'm really enjoying.

The following users thanked this post: Vetus Ordo, Xavier

Offline Lynne

• Thankful to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2020, 05:02:04 AM »
One of their French lessons (or was it Latin?) was a woman has a wife...

>:(

Yes. They also have male speakers reading sentences in the feminine and vice versa, which seriously undermines the learner's ability to learn gendered forms.

No, the sentence was "a woman has a wife" which as we all know is ridiculous.

Have you seen any other cases of indoctrination in their lessons?
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

The following users thanked this post: Xavier

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2020, 08:09:33 AM »
Another complaint I have with the Latin: some of the expected translations are excessively nit-picky.

For example, when ludus first showed up (without any context), I naturally translated it as "game". Because that's how I've always heard the word used. Yet Duolingo expects us to translate it as "school". (Guess that's good to know though!)

Then there is discipulus, which I wanted to translate as "disciple". Yet Duolingo expects "student". Seems a bit arbitrary, especially without context. (I mean, do we say that Plato was a "disciple" of Socrates, or do we say that he was a "student" of Socrates? Is there really much difference, apart from some subtleties in connotation which in many cases can be overlooked anyway?)

Another complaint I have is that Duolingo requires you to translate phrases such as natus est to "was born", using "was" rather than "is". Which I guess is understandable. However, both are good English translations. (At least with "born", since the English word "born" (without any helping verbs) is always to be regarded as a passive adjective of the past/perfect tense--an adjective indicating that the subject has completely undergone a change in status (and, in this case, a permanent change in status). Maybe this isn't the case with all such phrases, but it is the case with "is born": the being-born is something that happened in the past and is now complete, such that the person is described presently as "born", i.e. as once having-been-born. Because he who "was" born, still "is" born. It's not like he can be "born" one moment and "unborn" the next. Though I will admit, "is born" generally sounds poetic or archaic, not how we usually talk. Usually when we say "born", we're speaking not of the man's current status but of his status only at the time of his birth.)

I don't think so, though there might have been. I can't recall.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 08:30:25 AM by Daniel »

Offline Xavier

• Eternal Father, through Mary's Immaculate Heart, We Offer You the Body and Blood, Soul and Divinity of Your Dearly Beloved Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ in Atonement for our sins and those of the Whole World.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Slave of the Risen Jesus in the Holy Sacrifice.
    • Marian Apostolate Life Offering.
  • Religion: St. Thomas' Indult Traditional Roman Catholic.
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2020, 08:23:15 AM »
These are my scores:

Latin
Total XP: 10647 XP
Greek
Total XP: 1370 XP
Hindi
Total XP: 1017 XP
French
Total XP: 150 XP
Hebrew
Total XP: 41 XP
Spanish
Total XP: 20 XP
Russian
Total XP: 15 XP
Chinese
Total XP: 14 XP

Latin I've completed every single course now. Greek I'm working on, and boy, it's harder than I thought! Hebrew is also important, as it's the other Biblical language. Hindi is easy for me as I'm Indian and Hindi is common here. The other 4 I'm just beginning. Not going to start any new course till I finish Greek, at least. With half an hour every day, maybe in 6 more months, I should be able to finish, I don't know. It's harder than it looks at first! At least in Latin all the letters are already known to English speakers; it's just pronunciation and vocabulary you need to master. Greek is completely different.
To understand God's Plan for Humanity, and how He has provided the means by which we can minimize the Coming Great Tribulation, read: https://maryrefugeofholylove.com/

Offer your Life to Jesus and Mary: TEXT OF THE LIFE OFFERING, adapted: Dear Lord Jesus, before the Holy Trinity, Our Heavenly Mother, and the whole Heavenly Court, united with Your most Precious Blood and Your Sacrifice on Calvary, We hereby Offer our whole Lives to the Intention of Your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Together with our life, we place at Your disposal all Holy Masses, all our Holy Communions, all Rosaries, all acts of consecration, all our good deeds, all our sacrifices, and the suffering of our entire life for the Adoration and Supplication of the Holy Trinity, for Unity in our Holy Mother Church, for the Holy Father, Pope Francis the First; and for His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI. For His Eminence Patriarch Kirill of Moscow, His Excellency Metropolitan Hilarion, as well as His Eminence Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople, that they may re-unite their flocks with the Roman Catholic Church, and there may soon be but One Fold and One Shepherd. For all the 220+ Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, for all 6000+ Bishops of the Universal Church that they may be true Apostles and Shepherds; and for the 400,000+ Priests, the 700,000+ Nuns, 50,000+ Monks, 100,000+ seminarians, that they may all become the Saints the Divine Will wishes them to be; for all the 1.35 Billion Members of the Church, the Millions of Catholic Catechumens and Children to be born and baptized in this Decade; we pray for good Priestly and Religious Vocations, for All Lay Apostolates, and All Souls until the end of the world. O my Jesus, please accept our life Sacrifice and our offerings and give us Your grace that we may all persevere obediently until death. Amen." https://marianapostolate.com/life-offering/

"Mother of God, Co-Redemptrix of the world, pray for us" [Promise: 1000 Souls from Purgatory]"This short prayer, this insistent prayer, every time it is said, sets free from Purgatory 1000 Souls, who reach the Eternal Joy, the Eternal Light"(!). http://www.jesusmariasite.org/jesus-pray-my-children-that-the-fifth-marian-dogma-be-proclaimed/

Offline Fleur-de-Lys

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2020, 11:30:06 AM »
Xavier,
Feel free to contact me if you are having trouble. I'm ahead of you in all of your languages except Hindi.

The Duolingo Hebrew course can be especially problematic, as the audio is sometimes missing. For a language that doesn't always write vowels, this can make acquiring new forms particularly difficult.

As for Greek, once you master the alphabet, I think you'll find that the grammar is very similar to Latin, and it's again just a question of learning vocabulary.

I should add that I haven't done Latin on Duolingo. I learned it in school. So I can't speak to issues with the course, only the language itself.

We have very similar interests, Xavier!  :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 11:37:51 AM by Fleur-de-Lys »

The following users thanked this post: Vetus Ordo, Xavier

Offline Fleur-de-Lys

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2020, 01:21:37 PM »
One of their French lessons (or was it Latin?) was a woman has a wife...

>:(

Yes. They also have male speakers reading sentences in the feminine and vice versa, which seriously undermines the learner's ability to learn gendered forms.

No, the sentence was "a woman has a wife" which as we all know is ridiculous.

I think you must have misunderstood my original response, Lynne. :(  I'll see if I can be more clear.

Yes, there are sentences referring to same-sex relationships and marriage. There are also sentences that seem to promote transgenderism, and this is problematic, not only from a moral standpoint, but also a linguistic one, because some languages demand different forms for male and female referents.

For example, in Portuguese, to say thank you, men say obrigado  while women say obrigada.  On Duolingo, however, you will hear both male and female speakers use both forms. Because Duolingo largely uses implicit learning, that is learning by generalizing the examples you hear, this modeling of incorrect forms makes it impossible for the naive learner to pick up the correct pattern. I've seen countless comments in the forum from learners confused by this.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 01:40:33 PM by Fleur-de-Lys »

The following users thanked this post: Vetus Ordo

Offline Vetus Ordo

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Hopeful Fatalist
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2020, 04:38:04 PM »
I'm trying to sluggishly make my way through the Arabic course.

I'm already able to say multicultural sentences such as George comes from Oman.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2020, 04:39:20 PM »

Waiting for the companion piece to 1001 Nights.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline Fleur-de-Lys

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2020, 04:59:58 PM »

When you get as far as I have, you'll be able to say truly useful things like Omar is a fast Syrian translator. :D  The Arabic course is in need of further development.

The following users thanked this post: Vetus Ordo

Offline Vetus Ordo

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Hopeful Fatalist
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2020, 05:03:55 PM »

When you get as far as I have, you'll be able to say truly useful things like Omar is a fast Syrian translator. :D  The Arabic course is in need of further development.

I'm eagerly waiting for the part about easy cars.

Fascinating concept.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.