Author Topic: Bye Bye Netflix?  (Read 385 times)

Offline trentcath

• Feldwebel
Bye Bye Netflix?
« on: February 09, 2020, 09:50:40 PM »
I used to think people complaining about Netflix were just being a little over the top but recently I've come to, almost, agree with them completely. At first the shows I watched just had a slightly anti-authoritarian and traditional vibe e.g. adults stupid, people in authority stupid etc... Lately however almost every show I watch either has unnecessary LGBT angles to it, and trust me I watch different genres from different countries and cultures so it makes no sense for them to be coordinated like this unless Netflix has an agenda, or in the alternative are pro-abortion, women's "rights" etc...  All these issues are usually shoehorned into shows that would perfectly fine without them. It's a shame because as a doctoral student I have a lot of time on my hands (finished the first draft and I don't teach - I don't have the patience...) so I'm not sure what I'll replace it with, but, honestly I am getting sick of it. At the very least I think I'll give it up for lent if not cancel it completely. 

Anyways just wondered what other people's thoughts were.

The following users thanked this post: Xavier

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Bye Bye Netflix?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 10:13:07 PM »
I donít see the point in it. I had it years ago, got rid of it, and about a year ago did a free trial. It was all rubbish. Iíd rather watch things on YouTube for free or get DVDs from the library.
LENT: Sunday only

"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

Woe is me, because I have held my peace. Isaiah 6

The following users thanked this post: Pon de Replay, maryslittlegarden, Acolyte, Xavier

Offline trentcath

• Feldwebel
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2020, 10:26:20 PM »
I donít see the point in it. I had it years ago, got rid of it, and about a year ago did a free trial. It was all rubbish. Iíd rather watch things on YouTube for free or get DVDs from the library.

I mean there are a lot of shows I enjoy watching, it's way easier than renting DVD's and not everything is on youtube. On the other hand I can, borderline legally, find most stuff online for free.

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 11:44:26 PM »
Cancel it.  It's rubbish and designed to eat away at the moral fabric of society.

For free time... pray the traditional Office!

Or post more here!  :lol:
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The following users thanked this post: trentcath, Lynne, Acolyte, christulsa, Xavier, Davis Blank - EG

Offline christulsa

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
    • The Okie Traditionalist Blog
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 12:22:13 AM »
I vowed to cancel it after watching The Two Popes nonsense movie, and learning about the blasphemous Christmas movie how it depicted Christ.  But then when I looked at my online bank account, I realized a day late I hadn't cancelled it yet, using it for good documentaries, nature programs, the fireplace, and other such innocuous content.   So I have a few more weeks on this months membership, then I'm giving it the boot!  The thing has become overrun by Leftist ideology, smut, and mostly poor quality cinema.

I'm keeping my Amazon prime account though, for its huge database of content, + the free Amazon shipping on prime orders.  And there's a decent collection of Catholic movies and documentaries there too about saints, Church history, etc, many without a Leftist agenda.

(that said, there is a movie I'm trying to find that is probably on Amazon or YT, but I forget the title?  Saw it years ago, and it is excellent.  It depicts the Catholic daily life of people in a northern Italian village if I recall during the late 1800's.  There's a cool scene where they actually show the butchering of an actual pig, I believe.  Anybody know the name?).

The following users thanked this post: trentcath, Padraig, Xavier

Offline Davis Blank - EG

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2020, 01:33:58 AM »
Only ever had it like 15 years ago as a free trial back when it was mail DVD.

Last watched movies with my wife when we were dating, they were all intolerably stupid.  Having rejoined the Church since then I now see how destructive to the soul and society they are as well.  Just read the stunning reviews of Parasite and was getting excited, wow finally a worthy film.  Then read the plot and realized it was yet more degenerate trash.

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Pon de Replay, Xavier

Offline Pon de Replay

• Feldwebel
  • Religion: Agnostic
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2020, 09:18:42 AM »
Only ever had it like 15 years ago as a free trial back when it was mail DVD.

Last watched movies with my wife when we were dating, they were all intolerably stupid.  Having rejoined the Church since then I now see how destructive to the soul and society they are as well.  Just read the stunning reviews of Parasite and was getting excited, wow finally a worthy film.  Then read the plot and realized it was yet more degenerate trash.

I have not seen Parasite, but I've seen three other movies by the same director, and they ranged from middling to downright awful.  Granted, it's possible for an average or hack director to suddenly strike gold (consider Curtis Hanson with L.A. Confidential) but from what I understand, Parasite is more of the usual in terms of Bong Joon-ho's work, which has consistently been well-received in the West.  This is not to knock South Korean cinema, which does have some good things going for it.

In terms of Netflix, and its streaming service in particular, I think it suffers from a double curse of 1. the quality of movies in general getting worse and more inane, and 2. a purely "mass market" strategy which only compounds the first point.  The streaming menu is the dregs of an already tainted pool.  And the DVD menu is sorely neglected.  With the coronavirus out there, it adds a certain tension when you wonder who the previous renters of the discs you're handling might have been.  I store mine next to a bottle of hand sanitizer.

Offline clau clau

• My other bike is a Pinarello
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Traditionalist videogamer - I only play 8-bit video games
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 11:06:30 AM »
Would you like to shake hands with Pope 1 or Pope 2 -
 me (inspired by Dr Seuss) see: https://seuss.fandom.com/wiki/Thing_One_and_Thing_Two

But when he's dumb and no more here,
Nineteen hundred years or near,
Clau-Clau-Claudius shall speak clear.

Offline Padraig

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2020, 02:51:40 PM »
The Tree of Wooden Clogs is the movie you're referring to, Chris. Last I checked YouTube had it in 7 or 8 parts.

The following users thanked this post: Non Nobis, Gardener, christulsa

Offline Padraig

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2020, 02:59:26 PM »
Actually, there seems to be a new upload of the full movie in pretty good resolution.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne

Offline diaduit

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2020, 05:34:32 PM »
Got rid of it last August and haven't looked back.

The following users thanked this post: trentcath, Lynne, Davis Blank - EG

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 08:58:59 PM »
I got rid of ours years ago, and haven't looked back, as well.  Same with facebook

The following users thanked this post: trentcath, Lynne, diaduit, Davis Blank - EG

Offline LaramieHirsch

• Wachtmeister
"Evil smells weakness, and the weak can smell evil."  -Me

"Silence is complicity."  -Me

"The most evident mark of God's anger, and the most terrible castigation He can inflict upon the world, is manifest when He permits His people to fall into the hands of a clergy who are more in name than in deed, priests who practice the cruelty of ravening wolves rather than the charity and affection of devoted shepherds. They abandon the things of God to devote themselves to the things of the world and, in their saintly calling of holiness, they spend their time in profane and worldly pursuits. When God permits such things, it is a very positive proof that He is thoroughly angry with His people and is visiting His most dreadful wrath upon them."

-Saint John Eudes

Offline christulsa

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
    • The Okie Traditionalist Blog
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2020, 08:21:58 AM »
Actually, there seems to be a new upload of the full movie in pretty good resolution.

Re-watched this movie this last week on Amazon prime (a worthy subscription, imo).  Excellent movie.  A must watch for the Catholic family. Just be aware there is a gruesome scene where the men kill and butcher a hog, hard to watch due to minutes of listening to the animal screech.  Iíd place it towards the top of the list of best ďCatholic movies.Ē   Itís stark realism of devotional village life is redemptive vs say the false realism of the Nietzschean/Darwinian film The Turin Horse.  My favorite part of the film features a courtship ending in marriage, the newlyweds going to an orphanage run by Sisters to adopt a baby on the very day of their wedding.   That relationship features much the Catholic virtue of modesty, both in how the couple dresses but also how they act toward each other.  Didnít get though why the villlagers wore wooden clogs which seem heavy, but they probably didnít have access to $1 flip-flops like everyone everywhere wears today in the Philippines.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 08:25:24 AM by christulsa »

The following users thanked this post: Padraig