Author Topic: Patriarch Bartholomew tells Athonites: Catholic Orthodox Re-Union inevitable.  (Read 534 times)

Offline Xavier

• Trine Hearts of Jesus, Mary and Joseph, Increase Your Love in our Hearts! We Love You! Save All our Souls!
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Aspiring-Missionary-to-the-UnBaptized-in-Training!
    • Marian Apostolate Life Offering.
  • Religion: St. Thomas Indian Traditional Roman Catholic.
All who love Christendom and the common cause of Christ's Kingdom in this world, it's expansion, growth, sustenance and ultimate triumph over all errors, schisms and divisions, will rejoice on hearing that the Orthodox Church will soon re-unite with the Catholic Church. This is nearly a 1000 years overdue, and now some of us in our generation can live to see it happen! Patriarch Bartholomew says Catholic-Orthodox Re-Union is inevitable. Do you agree with him?

"On November 12, Patriarch Bartholomew participated in the Vespers service at the Catholic Abbey of Our Lady of St. Rémy in Rochefort, Belgium, together with Archimandrite Alexios, the abbot of Xenophontos Monastery, and Hieromonk Theophilos of Pantocrator Monastery, both on Mt. Athos.

According to a new report from the Union of Orthodox Journalists, during his trip to Mt. Athos the previous month, Pat. Bartholomew attempted to convince several Athonite abbots and monks that there are no dogmatic differences between Orthodoxy and Catholicism, and that reunion with the Catholic church is inevitable.

Pat. Bartholomew expressed his personal convictions during a private talk at Pantocrator Monastery with the brethren and guests of the monastery, including other Athonite abbots. Eyewitnesses report that Pat. Bartholomew’s security did not allow anyone to record the conversation.

In his opinion, the division that now exists between Orthodoxy and Catholicism is merely a matter of historical events, not dogmatic differences.

Catholics “are just as Christian as we are,” Pat. Bartholomew emphasized, adding that the recent gift of the relics of St. Peter from Pope Francis is proof of the Catholic church’s nearness to Orthodoxy.

According to the UOJ’s sources, Pantocrator abbot Archimandrite Gabriel, Xenophontos abbot Archimandrite Alexios, Vatopedia abbot Archimandrite Ephraim, the brethren of several monasteries, and other guests were all present for the talk.

Most of the brethren were at a loss, hearing Pat. Bartholomew’s ecumenistic arguments, though none present objected. Some of those present reportedly began to weep when Pat. Bartholomew said that reunion with the Catholic church is inevitable.

Recall that Xenophontos and Pantocrator Monasteries have been the most receptive to the Ukrainian schismatics. Abbot Alexios of Xenophontos concelebrated in the enthronement of Epiphany Dumenko as primate of the OCU, and Pantocrator was the first monastery where schismatics served Liturgy on Mt. Athos.

At a recent meeting in Constantinople with representatives of Tbilisi University, Pat. Bartholomew said that dialogue with other Christians, especially Catholics, is one of the priorities of the Patriarchate of Constantinople."

1911 Catholic Encyclopedia, Re-Union of Christendom: "In the present age the divisions of Christendom not only furnish its assailants with their most effective taunt, but constitute the most serious hindrance in the way of Christian work. Hence, among those who have inherited the condition of separation, the value of Christian unity has come to be much more deeply appreciated than ever before, and many active movements have been set on foot, and schemes devised, for its restoration ... Why, if our Eastern brethren appreciate the importance of unity, have they not during all these centuries taken the initiative in working for the holding of such a general council and invited the Catholic representatives to take a friendly part in it? Why, when the popes have taken that initiative and have invited the Easterns in the most cordial terms to join in such a council, or at least to join with them in some friendly conference to discuss the possibilities of a reconciliation, have they always so sternly refused? There are those who think that, as in the times of Photius and Cærularius, the chief deterring causes that stand in the way of the reunion of the Orthodox with the Catholics are political ... since the time of the Council of Florence it has been a fixed principle of papal government that Orientals passing into communion with the Holy See should be required to remain in their own rites and customs where no doctrinal error was involved, Leo XXII enforcing adherence to this principle by new sanctions in his "Orientalium ecclesiarum dignitas" (1893). Moreover, why should the popes or their adherents in the West cherish dislike for rites and customs so intimately associated with the memories of those venerable Fathers and doctors whom East and West agree in venerating and claiming as their own? Could the Easterns, then, only be induced to lay aside these suspicions, if but provisionally, and meet the pope or his representatives in friendly conference, the problem of reunion would already be half solved ... Is such a consummation impossible? For the present [1911] it would seem to be so, if we are to judge by the attitude of the rulers, civil and ecclesiastical, of the Orthodox Churches ... It is perhaps the spectacle which can now be seen in many places in the East, of Catholics of the Greek and Latin Rite working side by side in cordial co-operation, while on terms of friendly intercourse with the Orthodox of the same neighbourhood, which is chiefly helpful in removing prejudice by the object lesson it offers of what reunion would bring to pass in all parts of the world in these days, when Easterns as well as Westerns are spreading and mingling in many lands." http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15132a.htm

1911 Catholic Encyclopedia, Eastern Schism, by Fr. Fortescue: "That is the right attitude towards the Orthodox always. They have a horror of being latinized, of betraying the old Faith. One must always insist that there is no idea of latinizing them, that the old Faith is not incompatible with, but rather demands union with the chief see which their Fathers obeyed. In canon law they have nothing to change except such abuses as the sale of bishoprics and the Erastianism that their own better theologians deplore. Celibacy, azyme bread, and so on are Latin customs that no one thinks of forcing on them. They need not add the Filioque to the Creed; they will always keep their venerable rite untouched. Not a bishop need be moved, hardly a feast (except that of St. Photius on 6 Feb.) altered. All that is asked of them is to come back to where their Fathers stood, to treat Rome as Athanasius, Basil, Chrysostom treated her. It is not Latins, it is they who have left the Faith of their Fathers. There is no humiliation in retracing one's steps when one has wandered down a mistaken road because of long-forgotten personal quarrels. They too must see how disastrous to the common cause is the scandal of the division. They too must wish to put an end to so crying an evil. And if they really wish it the way need not be difficult. For, indeed, after nine centuries of schism we may realize on both sides that it is not only the greatest it is also the most superfluous evil in Christendom." http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13535a.htm
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 12:50:29 PM by Xavier »
My Personal Motto in Life, that of St. Maximillian Maria Kolbe, founder of the Militia Immaculatae: "I want to be a Saint, and a great Saint". Make it your motto too.

"Dignáre, Dómine, die isto sine peccáto nos custodíre" (Deign, O Lord, to keep us this day without any sin). Please pray this prayer many times every day to end all sin.

St. Padre Pio: "I have made a pact with the Lord: I will take my place at the gate to paradise, but I shall not enter until I have seen the last of my spiritual children enter."

Come offer your Life to Jesus and Mary: TEXT OF THE LIFE OFFERING, adapted and pluralized: Dear Lord Jesus, before the Holy Trinity, Our Heavenly Mother, and the whole Heavenly Court, united with Your most Precious Blood and Your Sacrifice on Calvary, We hereby Offer our whole Lives to the Intention of Your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Together with our life, we place at Your disposal all Holy Masses, all our Holy Communions, all Rosaries, all acts of consecration, all our good deeds, all our sacrifices, and the suffering of our entire life for the Adoration and Supplication of the Holy Trinity, for Unity in our Holy Mother Church, for the Holy Father, Pope Francis the First; and for His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI. For His Eminence Patriarch Kirill of Moscow, His Excellency Metropolitan Hilarion, as well as His Eminence Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople, that they may re-unite their flocks with the Roman Catholic Church, and there may soon be but One Fold and One Shepherd. For all the 220+ Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, for all 6000+ Bishops of the Universal Church that they may be true Apostles and Shepherds; and for the 400,000+ Priests, the 700,000+ Nuns, 50,000+ Monks, 100,000+ seminarians, that they may all become the Saints the Divine Will wishes them to be; for all the 1.35 Billion Members of the Church, the Millions of Catholic Catechumens and Children to be born and baptized in this Decade; we pray for good Priestly and Religious Vocations, and for All Souls until the end of the world. O my Jesus, please accept our life Sacrifice and our offerings and give us Your grace that we may all persevere obediently until death. Amen." https://marianapostolate.com/life-offering/

"Mother of God, Co-Redemptrix of the world, pray for us" [Promise: Release of 1000 Souls from Purgatory]"This short prayer, this insistent prayer, every time it is said, sets free from Purgatory 1000 Souls, who reach the Eternal Joy, the Eternal Light"(!). http://www.jesusmariasite.org/jesus-pray-my-children-that-the-fifth-marian-dogma-be-proclaimed/

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
He's right, there is no difference between today's Conciliar Church and the Orthodox.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Offline Xavier

• Trine Hearts of Jesus, Mary and Joseph, Increase Your Love in our Hearts! We Love You! Save All our Souls!
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
At the Council of Florence, the Catholic Church tried to persuade the Orthodox that when the Eastern Fathers say the Holy Ghost proceeds from the Father through the Son, they mean the same thing as when the Western Latin Fathers say the Holy Ghost proceeds from the Father and the Son, or Qui Ex Patre Filioque Procedit, as we say in our Creed. Not all the Orthodox accepted that then.

"For when Latins and Greeks came together in this holy synod, they all strove that, among other things, the article about the procession of the holy Spirit should be discussed with the utmost care and assiduous investigation. Texts were produced from divine scriptures and many authorities of eastern and western holy doctors, some saying the holy Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son, others saying the procession is from the Father through the Son. All were aiming at the same meaning in different words." https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/library/ecumenical-council-of-florence-1438-1445-1461

More recently, they signed a doctrinal declaration with the Catholic Church: "The Father only generates the Son by breathing (proballein in Greek) through him the Holy Spirit and the Son is only begotten by the Father insofar as the spiration (probolh in Greek) passes through him. The Father is Father of the One Son only by being for him and through him the origin of the Holy Spirit.8 The Spirit does not precede the Son, since the Son characterizes as Father the Father from whom the Spirit takes his origin, according to the Trinitarian order.9 But the spiration of the Spirit from the Father takes place by and through (the two senses of dia in Greek) the generation of the Son, to which it gives its Trinitarian character." https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/library/greek-and-latin-traditions-regarding-the-procession-of-the-holy-spirit-2349

In the CCC, the Council of Florence is cited on Filioque, and Pope St. Leo the Great (whose authority the Orthodox accept, as we know) is also mentioned as teaching it. Patriarch Bartholomew knows that, if the Orthodox are ready to become Catholic, they will do it accepting this. From: http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P17.HTM

CCC 246: "The Latin tradition of the Creed confesses that the Spirit "proceeds from the Father and the Son (filioque)". the Council of Florence in 1438 explains: "The Holy Spirit is eternally from Father and Son; He has his nature and subsistence at once (simul) from the Father and the Son. He proceeds eternally from both as from one principle and through one spiration... And, since the Father has through generation given to the only-begotten Son everything that belongs to the Father, except being Father, the Son has also eternally from the Father, from whom he is eternally born, that the Holy Spirit proceeds from the Son."75

...Pope St. Leo I, following an ancient Latin and Alexandrian tradition, had already confessed it dogmatically in 447,76 even before Rome, in 451 at the Council of Chalcedon, came to recognize and receive the Symbol of 381 ...

248 At the outset the Eastern tradition expresses the Father's character as first origin of the Spirit. By confessing the Spirit as he "who proceeds from the Father", it affirms that he comes from the Father through the Son.77 The Western tradition expresses first the consubstantial communion between Father and Son, by saying that the Spirit proceeds from the Father and the Son (filioque). It says this, "legitimately and with good reason",78 for the eternal order of the divine persons in their consubstantial communion implies that the Father, as "the principle without principle",79 is the first origin of the Spirit, but also that as Father of the only Son, he is, with the Son, the single principle from which the Holy Spirit proceeds.80" ...

75 Council of Florence (1439): DS 1300-1301.

76 Cf. Leo I, Quam laudabiliter (447): DS 284.

77 ⇒ Jn 15:26; cf. AG 2.

78 Council of Florence (1439): DS 1302.

79 Council of Florence (1442): DS 1331.

80 Cf. Council of Lyons II(1274): DS 850.
My Personal Motto in Life, that of St. Maximillian Maria Kolbe, founder of the Militia Immaculatae: "I want to be a Saint, and a great Saint". Make it your motto too.

"Dignáre, Dómine, die isto sine peccáto nos custodíre" (Deign, O Lord, to keep us this day without any sin). Please pray this prayer many times every day to end all sin.

St. Padre Pio: "I have made a pact with the Lord: I will take my place at the gate to paradise, but I shall not enter until I have seen the last of my spiritual children enter."

Come offer your Life to Jesus and Mary: TEXT OF THE LIFE OFFERING, adapted and pluralized: Dear Lord Jesus, before the Holy Trinity, Our Heavenly Mother, and the whole Heavenly Court, united with Your most Precious Blood and Your Sacrifice on Calvary, We hereby Offer our whole Lives to the Intention of Your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Together with our life, we place at Your disposal all Holy Masses, all our Holy Communions, all Rosaries, all acts of consecration, all our good deeds, all our sacrifices, and the suffering of our entire life for the Adoration and Supplication of the Holy Trinity, for Unity in our Holy Mother Church, for the Holy Father, Pope Francis the First; and for His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI. For His Eminence Patriarch Kirill of Moscow, His Excellency Metropolitan Hilarion, as well as His Eminence Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople, that they may re-unite their flocks with the Roman Catholic Church, and there may soon be but One Fold and One Shepherd. For all the 220+ Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, for all 6000+ Bishops of the Universal Church that they may be true Apostles and Shepherds; and for the 400,000+ Priests, the 700,000+ Nuns, 50,000+ Monks, 100,000+ seminarians, that they may all become the Saints the Divine Will wishes them to be; for all the 1.35 Billion Members of the Church, the Millions of Catholic Catechumens and Children to be born and baptized in this Decade; we pray for good Priestly and Religious Vocations, and for All Souls until the end of the world. O my Jesus, please accept our life Sacrifice and our offerings and give us Your grace that we may all persevere obediently until death. Amen." https://marianapostolate.com/life-offering/

"Mother of God, Co-Redemptrix of the world, pray for us" [Promise: Release of 1000 Souls from Purgatory]"This short prayer, this insistent prayer, every time it is said, sets free from Purgatory 1000 Souls, who reach the Eternal Joy, the Eternal Light"(!). http://www.jesusmariasite.org/jesus-pray-my-children-that-the-fifth-marian-dogma-be-proclaimed/

Offline TheReturnofLive

• The Prodigal Son, except I do it at least once a week
  • Wachtmeister
  • Saint Alexander Nevsky, pray for me a sinner
  • Religion: Unsure Traditional, Liturgical, Apostolic Christian
Xavier,

Can you please stop posting garbage like this?

Baal, or the lord of the flies, is associated with trash, and unless you want to convince the world you are possessed by Baal, I recommend you to stop being affiliated with trash. Indeed, Dante sends the frauds to eternal excrement, and Satan is called the Father of Lies.

The Orthodox do not flood OrthodoxChristianity.net or SuscipeDomine.com saying that Pope Francis’s Pachamama speaks on behalf of all Catholicism, or SAINT John Paul II’s Quran kissing and intercession for Islam’s protection as the definitive Catholic position. This is only done when it’s passive or reactionary to slanderous accusations of Paganism, Caesaropapism, failing to have unity of Faith, or the idolatry of Latin which you naively worship as the literal, ontologically best form of worship, to show hypocrisy.

Despite the fact of Rome’s epistemological claims (that the Pope = Orthodoxy),This is because it’s incredibly intellectually dishonest, revealing disingenuous motivations, and in fact, is an EXPRESS violation of the Lord’s Commandment of letting your yes be yes and no be no. Further, it only hurts Catholicism’s cause for ANYBODY who is actually investigating, honestly and intellectually, Orthodoxy and Catholicism. It shows that Catholicism has no real argument against Orthodoxy,, and establishes the impression that Catholicism is much more of a farce comparable to Pentecostalism.

Get it through your thick skull (which is the impression you leave when you post garbage like this by establishing that you are someone who lacks fundamental understanding in rhetoric and logic). Patriarch Bartholomew’s religious indifferentism, extreme eco activism, and pure racism is not representative of what the Orthodox Church believes in.

If you were alive in the 4th to 5th centuries, you would believe that Christianity’s claims would be disproven by Nestorius, who was also the Patriarch of Constantinople.

Offline Xavier

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
Yeah, thanks for all your taunts and your insults. When you blasphemously and impiously claimed "God is a monster" like a hater of Almighty God, rather than respond in kindness as I did, I should have responded with proportionate severity to your immeasurable wickedness in thus abusing and slandering Infinite Goodness. https://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=23006.0  Say anything you like about me, I don't care; I only care about the Common Good of Christendom, and the Good even of the Orthodox Church, which would be so greatly advanced by Re-Union with the Catholic Church, and the Salvation of Millions of Souls that would ensue from it.

I posted 9 salient points on which the Catholic Church has always been ready for irenic doctrinal and theological discussion; only souls filled with bitter zeal and schismatic hatred of the Common Good of the Universal Church (and to such persons, the holy Fathers apply the text, "Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer. And you know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in himself") run away from that invitation of the Catholic Church, fearing to be proven wrong, from Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition.

you would believe that Christianity’s claims would be disproven by Nestorius

You attribute and project your own disordered thinking to others, owing to your cognitive dissonance. Anyone who even attempts to disprove Christianity, rather than humbly believing the Word of the Lord, which is Divine Truth, is already a heretic. It's you who take delight in calling the Lord Jesus a liar and calling Almighty God a monster. Most of us here on Suscipe Domine are well past such an immature stage. Nestorius only proves he was a heretic, and Pope St. Celestine and Patriarch St. Cyril were heroes of the Faith, nothing more; the Catholic Church has decreed, "6. If anyone says that the condition of the faithful and those who have not yet attained to the only true faith is alike, so that Catholics may have a just cause for calling in doubt, by suspending their assent, the faith which they have already received from the teaching of the Church, until they have completed a scientific demonstration of the credibility and truth of their faith: let him be anathema." https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/library/first-vatican-council-1505

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich

Offline Xavier

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
Here, I challenge you or anyone to take even one of these matters for serious prayerful study seriously and prayerfully, and actually examine for yourselves what Scripture, Tradition and the Magisterium of the early Councils of the Catholic Church, said about them.

"1. Because Scripture, Fathers, Liturgy, Councils, Tradition teach us Mary is Altogether Immaculate, "Theotokos Panachranta" (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panachranta_(icon)), Stainless, All-Holy (Panagia see https://orthodoxwiki.org/Panagia), the One prepurified Saint (Prokathartheisa), New and Second Eve, Purest Ark of the New Covenant without Stain, FirstFruits of the Second Creation etc: We see abundant Patristic Testimonies to the All-Holiness of the Immaculate Virgin Mary, (1) St. Ambrose says of Mother Mary, "a Virgin not only undefiled, but a Virgin whom grace had made inviolate, free of every stain of sin" - this is especially significant because the Fathers use "stain of sin" to represent original sin; (2) St. Augustine concurs, "We do not transfer Mary to the devil by the condition of Her birth, for this reason, that that condition is dissolved by the grace of Her new birth." and elsewhere he says all the Just have truly known of sin, except only the Holy Virgin Mother of the Lord; (3) St. John of Damascus, "Nature was defeated by grace and stopped, trembling, not daring to take precedence over it. Since the Virgin Mother of God was to be born of Anne, nature did not dare to precede the product of grace; but remained sterile until grace had produced its fruit. O happy loins of Joachim, which had produced a germ which is all immaculate. O wondrous womb of Anne in which an all-holy child slowly grew and took shape!" (4) St. Sophronius of Jerusalem, "Many saints appeared before thee, but none was as filled with grace as thou… No one has been purified in advance as thou hast been ... Thou dost surpass all that is most excellent in man, as well as all the gifts which have been bestowed by God upon all others." (5) St. Andrew of Crete shows how the Eastern Fathers vie with the Western Fathers in praising Mary and declaring Her as New Eve, and Renewed Creation, "Today, humanity recovers the gift it had received when first formed by divine hands, and returns immaculate to its original nobility. The shame of sin had cast a shadow upon the splendor and charm of human nature; but when the Mother of Him Who is Beauty itself is born, this Nature recovers in Her person its ancient privileges, and is fashioned according to a perfect model, truly worthy of God. And this fashioning is a perfect restoration; this restoration is a divinization, and this divinization is an assimilation to the primitive state… In a word, the reformation of our nature begins today; the world, which had grown old, undergoes a transformation which is wholly divine, and receives the first fruits of its second creation." There has been exciting recent theological research by Eastern Catholic Fr. Christian Kappes that documents some of this in more depth. See https://hortulus-journal.com/journal/volume-13-number-1-2017/cuff/

St. Fulgentius explains the true meaning of Gratia Plena in Luke 1:28, where Mary is called Kecharitomene, full of grace, One in Whom the giving of every grace is complete. ("Cum dixit, gratia plena, ostendit ex integro, iram exclusam primæ sententiæ, et plenam benedictionis gratiam restitutam") Please see http://catholicpatristics.blogspot.com/2009/03/immaculate-conception.html for more ancient testimonies, including from the Divine Liturgy.

2. Because Sacred Scripture clearly reveals, and Patristic Tradition shows a consistent exegesis of Mat 12:32 and 1 Cor 3:13-15 of a Purifying Fire of Purgatory: The CE says, "According to St. Isidore of Seville (Deord. creatur., c. xiv, n. 6) these words prove that in the next life "some sins will be forgiven and purged away by a certain purifying fire." St. Augustine also argues "that some sinners are not forgiven either in this world or in the next would not be truly said unless there were other [sinners] who, though not forgiven in this world, are forgiven in the world to come" (City of God XXI.24). The same interpretation is given by Gregory the Great (Dial., IV, xxxix); St. Bede (commentary on this text); St. Bernard (Sermo lxvi in Cantic., n. 11) and other eminent theological writers." In brief, St. Caesarius of Arles, St. Cyprian of Carthage, St. Gregory of Nyssa (unless you believe he was an universalist), certainly Pope St. Gregory the Great, St. Augustine, St. Jerome, St. Bede and others interpret the passages on the prison the Lord speaks of or the purifying fire of 1 Cor 3 as as place of purification in purgatorial fire. Doesn't the text itself suggest that interpretation? “if any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.” (1 Cor 3:15)

The Greek Church prays for the faithful departed to be purified no less than we do. Yet, Mark of Ephesus urged Purgatory as a reason/excuse to remain separate from Rome. St. Irenaeus says those who fall into schism depart from the Catholic Church to do so "for trifling reasons, or for any kind of reason that occurs to them".

3. Because to abandon the Catholic Church for the Greek church or Oriental Orthodoxy is to squander and throw away the blessings of at least a 1000 years, if not 1500 years, that God has given His Church: E.g. So many Eucharistic Miracles, the great feast of Corpus Christi and the practice of Eucharistic Adoration, a firm belief in Transubstantiation (which is sometimes called into question in Orthodoxy, despite the fact that it was taught, in Scholastic Terms, by the eastern orthodox council of Jerusalem in the 17th century, in the confession of Dositheus), the beauty and piety of Scholastic Theology itself, (which once was held in such high esteem even in Greek Orthodox seminaries), which in most respects is a sublime synthesis of Patristic Tradition - see for example the systematic method in which St. John Damascene proceeds in De Fide Orthodoxa, a methodology that could in itself be called scholastic; St. Chrysostom in his commentaries is very similar. Devotion to the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts, the Holy Face, the Precious Blood, the Holy Wounds, the Divine Mercy, to Our Lady of Guadalupe, Fatima, Lourdes, and so much else a loving God and His Mother so kindly stepped down from Heaven to give us Themselves; in brief, as the Psalmist says, "He has not done in like manner for every nation" (Ps 147:20)

4. Because there is no salvation outside the Catholic Church, especially for Catholics who knowingly abandon the Church, unless they become Catholic again before death, as St. Fulgentius states: Two admonitions in justice and charity are necessary. They were given at Lyons II and Florence, where Greek, Syrian and other Eastern Churches were urged to quickly return to Catholic Unity with Rome, as happily many Eastern Catholic Churches did, forming 23 sui iuris Eastern rites. But sadly some obstinately stayed away, mostly misled by Mark of Ephesus. Thus, reiterating the formula of St. Fulgentius, Rome rightly declared, "The Most Holy Roman Church firmly believes, professes and preaches that none of those existing outside the Catholic Church, not only pagans, also Jews, heretics, and schismatics can ever be partakers of eternal life, but that they are to go into the eternal fire 'which was prepared for the devil and his angels' (Mt. 25:41) unless before death they are joined with Her" and this is intended to be an urgent call to all those who are separated, or those thinking of abandoning the Barque of Peter, to re-enter or remain in Her.

5. Because Orthodoxy compromised long ago on divorce: Well known fact. Two of Three evangelists state Christ's prohibition of divorce absolutely, the Third (St. Matthew) speaks of unlawful unions. The Council of Elvira forbad divorce. The Councils of Florence and Trent etc, reiterating Catholic doctrine, rightly point out how much superior temporary separation from bed and board is to divorce and remarriage, and how this allowance is itself both justice and mercy; since when remarriage is never licit, the couples naturally try to solve their differences and unite together again, and how this is a blessing and boon to families, especially for children.

See also https://www.crisismagazine.com/2016/tradition-speaks-one-voice-divorce-remarriage

6. Because Orthodoxy compromised last century on contraception: Another well known fact. What is tragic is even Protestants knew contraception would ruin culture a century ago, would lead to fornication and divorce, pornography, even demand for abortion as last-ditch contraception, and a million other evils. There was the Comstock legislation in the US. But then the 1930 conference in Lambeth came, and all Christendom outside the Catholic Church compromised. The rest is history. All the Fathers condemn contraception, St. Augustine mentioning Onan in Genesis, St. Chrysostom speaking of the evil act as almost homicide, St. Clement and other Fathers etc.

"Since, therefore, openly departing from the uninterrupted Christian Tradition some recently have judged it possible solemnly to declare another doctrine regarding this question, the Catholic Church, to whom God has entrusted the defense of the integrity and purity of morals, standing erect in the midst of the moral ruin which surrounds her, in order that she may preserve the chastity of the nuptial union from being defiled by this foul stain, raises her voice in token of her divine ambassadorship and through Our mouth proclaims anew: any use whatsoever of matrimony exercised in such a way that the act is deliberately frustrated in its natural power to generate life is an offense against the law of God and of nature, and those who indulge in such are branded with the guilt of a grave sin." (Casti Connubii)

I leave aside other little known facts like some Orthodox in Moscow co-operating with Communism in persecuting Catholics, rather than working with Catholics to end the schisms that weaken Christendom and destroy Communism, because those are not doctrinal. But these sad events show how much this inertia that wants to remain in disunity and separation is daily costing Christendom. More urgent than ever is the call of Christ and the obligation of ours to listen to His Voice and, as individuals and communities, to return to or remain in the Catholic Church. See https://sspx.org/en/news-events/news/russian-orthodoxy-and-message-fatima-29859 for more details.

7. Because the Council of Chalcedon, in its official acts, clearly exegeted Scripture referring to Peter/Pope St. Leo as the Rock of the Church/Head of the Bishops/Chief Shepherd of the Flock etc: "Wherefore the most holy and blessed Leo, archbishop of the great and elder Rome, through us, and through this present most holy synod together with the thrice-blessed and all-glorious Peter the Apostle, who is the Rock and foundation of the Catholic Church, and the foundation of the orthodox faith, hath stripped him (Dioscorus, Bishop of Alexandria) of his episcopate, and hath alienated from him all hieratic worthiness." -- Acts of Chalcedon, Session 3 ... "Knowing that every success of the children rebounds to the parents, we therefore beg you to honor our decision by your assent, and as we have yielded agreement to the Head in noble things, so may the Head also fulfill what is fitting for the children." -- Chalcedon to Pope Leo, Ep 98

Please see http://www.biblicalcatholic.com/apologetics/a35.htm for more Acts of the Council, Teaching of Pope St. Leo the Great, and Letters exchanged by Bishops.

The Greek Orthodox say they accept this Council. Therefore, they should accept St. Peter is the Rock and the Pope of Rome is the Head of the universal Church.
Although the Syrian Orthodox do not accept this Council, the many letters exchanged (documented in the link) show Petrine Primacy of Jurisdiction was already taken for granted and known everywhere. Moreover, the statement of Fr. Philip, with the acceptance of the Council of Ephesus, shows Petrine Primacy lives on forever in the See.

8. Because modern Orthodoxy denies original sin, as clearly taught by ancient Councils, and that this sin precisely in infants is remitted in Baptism, per the Creed: "Likewise it seemed good that whosoever denies that infants newly from their mother’s wombs should be baptized, or says that baptism is for remission of sins, but that they derive from Adam no original sin, which needs to be removed by the laver of regeneration, from whence the conclusion follows, that in them the form of baptism for the remission of sins, is to be understood as false and not true, let him be anathema. For no otherwise can be understood what the Apostle says, “By one man sin is come into the world, and death through sin, and so death passed upon all men in that all have sinned,” than the Catholic Church everywhere diffused has always understood it. For on account of this rule of faith even infants, who could have committed as yet no sin themselves, therefore are truly baptized for the remission of sins, in order that what in them is the result of generation may be cleansed by regeneration." https://earlychurchtexts.com/public/carthage_canons_on_sin_and_grace.htm

This needs no further elaboration. It teaches clearly the Catholic doctrine, and hands down the meaning of the Creed. Orthodoxy's mistake on original sin sadly leads to heresy on the Immaculate Conception. Original sin is sometimes called ancestral sin in Orthodoxy, or stain of sin, but then it is denied Mary was without stain.

9. Because the dogma of the Filioque is unanimously taught by the Latin Fathers, was taught by Saintly Bishops and Patriarchs in Two Ecumenical Councils, represents Nicene Tradition, and is reiterated by the Greek Fathers as "through the Son" (called the per Filium clause in Latin, and is substantially identical to Filioque): Bp. St. Leontius at Nicaea I said, "the Spirit proceeds from the Father, and is proper to the Son and gushes forth from Him." even though the Creed of Nicaea I only said, "I believe in the Holy Spirit", Patriarch St. Tarasios of Constantinople, at Nicaea II, professed, "And in the Holy Spirit, Who proceeds from the Father through the Son, and Who is acknowledged to be Himself God." To take just 3 ancient Popes out of numberless witnesses, Pope St. Leo the Great, "as though there were not one Who begat, another Who is begotten, another Who proceeds from both." Pope St. Hormisdas, "it is characteristic of the Father to generate the Son, characteristic of the Son of God to be born of the Father equal to the Father, characteristic of the Spirit to proceed from Father and Son in one substance of deity.", Pope St. Leo III "the Holy Spirit, proceeding equally from the Father and from the Son, consubstantial, coeternal with the Father and the Son. The Father, complete God in Himself, the Son, complete God begotten of the Father, the Holy Spirit, complete God proceeding from the Father and the Son..." all clearly teach the doctrine of the Filioque.

And so, like the meaningless thing of Unleavened/leavened bread, quareling over Purgatory while also praying for the faithful departed, and of the Immaculate Conception while calling Mary Stainless even in the divine Liturgy, this unnecessary dispute between Catholic and Orthodox, per the formula of St. Tarasios at Nicaea II, really comes down ultimately to the difference between "from the Father and the Son" and "from the Father through the Son" which is a distinction without a difference.

And yet, some 300 million Christians remain in schism because of this old error of Photius and Caerularius. Every possible effort must be expended to close the breach. Even if it took another 30 to 35 years, it would be well worth it. Many Protestants would be likely to return too, desiring Christian unity in a proper way. By the 1000th anniversary of the great schism, at the latest, we must resolve to do all in our power to end this ancient division that has so much hurt Christendom.

Please see http://catholicpatristics.blogspot.com/2009/08/filioque.html As for the disciplinary issue, where it is urged an Ecumenical Council should approve, this was done at Lyons II, and Florence. And can be done again in future, when the Greek Church comes to Ecumenical Council with the Catholic Church. There is a Catholic prophesy of the Angelic Pastor and the Great Ecumenical Council to come, that will re-unite Western and Eastern Christendom in Truth and Love, "the Greeks [i.e. the Orthodox] will return to the obedience of the Holy Roman [Catholic] Church" [Taken from The Third Work. Trans. by B McGinn Visions of the End (New York, Columbia, 1998) p. 190]."

Offline TheReturnofLive

• Wachtmeister
Yeah, thanks for all your taunts and your insults. When you blasphemously and impiously claimed "God is a monster" like a hater of Almighty God, rather than respond in kindness as I did, I should have responded with proportionate severity to your immeasurable wickedness in thus abusing and slandering Infinite Goodness. https://www.suscipedomine.com/forum/index.php?topic=23006.0  Say anything you like about me, I don't care; I only care about the Common Good of Christendom, and the Good even of the Orthodox Church, which would be so greatly advanced by Re-Union with the Catholic Church, and the Salvation of Millions of Souls that would ensue from it.

Absolutely hilarious. I insulted you as being a promoter of BS, which you objectively are, and your response is to claim I'm a blasphemer, how I hate God, how you should've been harsher, just because I had a lapse of Faith for one internet post and questioned God's omnibenevolence.

I'll shout it to the rooftops - you are a promoter of BS, and this whole article is nothing more than BS for two reasons.

1. The sources of this alleged quote are from Russian Orthodox news sources from Russia translated into English, which aren't always fully reliable, and apparently comes from just what people heard him say to some monks, not in any official speech.

2. The Patriarch of Constantinople is not the font of knowledge of Orthodox dogma and belief.

I posted 9 salient points on which the Catholic Church has always been ready for irenic doctrinal and theological discussion; only souls filled with bitter zeal and schismatic hatred of the Common Good of the Universal Church (and to such persons, the holy Fathers apply the text, "Whosoever hateth his brother is a murderer. And you know that no murderer hath eternal life abiding in himself") run away from that invitation of the Catholic Church, fearing to be proven wrong, from Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition.

I don't fear being proven wrong, I just don't have the time nor energy to deal with 9 pages of BS every single day. While it benefits nobody to be reductive, it benefits nobody to be needlessly flowerly and superfluous in terms of argumentation. And each time I look at your articles, it's nothing more than either

A. The same BS apologetic structure which I've dismantled several times before
B. Quotes completely taken out of their proper context in order to prove a point, or a reckless abuse of said quotes to say things that the texts themselves don't actually say.

One only needs to look at the whole Co-Redemptrix affair, where you illogically equivocated Co-Redemptrix and Mediatrix and then used every Mediatrix quote to mean Co-Redemptrix.

You attribute and project your own disordered thinking to others, owing to your cognitive dissonance.

If you make such slanderous accusations, you better have evidence to back it up. "Let every testimony be established by two witnesses."

But you are missing my point, see below.

Anyone who even attempts to disprove Christianity, rather than humbly believing the Word of the Lord, which is Divine Truth, is already a heretic.

In Orthodoxy's eyes, you are absolutely a heretic. Someone who has to knowingly lie (it can't be pure ignorance, you are absolutely malicious) to prove a belief system cannot be seen as morally non-culpable.

It's you who take delight in calling the Lord Jesus a liar and calling Almighty God a monster.
I'm sure I was happy to mock God with that post. I seriously have nothing but bitter and evil intentions. I'm sure my lapses with God have been nothing but pure happiness for me.

Most of us here on Suscipe Domine are well past such an immature stage.

Anyone who has to post on the internet how self-righteous and how much they love God is certainly not mature. That's what the Pharisee said in the Temple.

Nestorius only proves he was a heretic, and Pope St. Celestine and Patriarch St. Cyril were heroes of the Faith, nothing more;

You are missing my point. My point is according to Orthodoxy's own epistemological system, one bishop who causes a schism and speaks heresy does not represent the Orthodox theological view. Unless you want me to apply the same standard to every single thing every Pope has ever said.

Offline Xavier

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
So you just resort to expletives now. Profanity is not of God either: "9. Be attentive, then, my brethren, and guard your selves against speaking immodestly, more than you would against death. Listen to the advice of the Holy Ghost: ”Make a balance for thy words, and a just bridle for thy mouth; and take heed lest thou slip with thy tongue and thy fall be incurable unto death.” (Eccl. xxvhi. 29, 30.)

”Make a balance” you must weigh your words before you utter them and”a bridle for thy mouth” when immodest words come to the tongue, you must suppress them; otherwise, by uttering them, you shall inflict on your own soul, and on the souls of others, a mortal and incurable wound. God has given you the tongue, not to offend him, but to praise and bless him.

”But, ” says St. Paul, “fornication and all uncleanness, let it not so much as be named among you, as becometh saints.” (Ephes. v. 3.) Mark the words”all uncleanness. ” http://www.traditionalcatholicpriest.com/2017/08/19/vice-speaking-immodestly-st-alphonsus/

The Catholic Church has been patiently and kindly inviting Orthodox Christians for doctrinal discussions for nearly a 1000 years. Now, at long last, the unhappy barriers that divided East and West are falling, and the day draws near when separated Christians will return to the Unity of the Catholic Church. This is what Pope Eugene IV wrote in Laetentur Caeli and Catholics who work for the re-union of the Orthodox with the Church are continuing the noble work that His Holiness of blessed memory so happily began. I'm not going to descend into expletives with you. Sorry. What the Catholic Church desired then, and what Mark of Ephesus so wickedly disrupted, is what She still desires today.

"Pope Eugene IV in Laetentur Caeli (Let the Heavens rejoice): "Council of Florence (XVII Ecumenical), Session 6 — 6 July 1439

[Definition of the Holy Ecumenical Council of Florence, presided by Pope Eugenius IV]

Eugenius, bishop, servant of the servants of God, for an everlasting record. With the agreement of our most dear son John Palaeologus, illustrious emperor of the Romans, of the deputies of our venerable brothers the patriarchs and of other representatives of the eastern church, to the following.

Let the heavens be glad and let the earth rejoice. For, the wall that divided the western and the eastern church has been removed, peace and harmony have returned, since the corner-stone, Christ, who made both one, has joined both sides with a very strong bond of love and peace, uniting and holding them together in a covenant of everlasting unity. After a long haze of grief and a dark and unlovely gloom of long-enduring strife, the radiance of hoped-for union has illuminated all.

Let Mother Church also rejoice. For she now beholds her sons hitherto in disagreement returned to unity and peace, and she who hitherto wept at their separation now gives thanks to God with inexpressible joy at their truly marvellous harmony. Let all the faithful throughout the world, and those who go by the name of Christian, be glad with mother catholic church. For behold, western and eastern fathers after a very long period of disagreement and discord, submitting themselves to the perils of sea and land and having endured labours of all kinds, came together in this holy ecumenical council, joyful and eager in their desire for this most holy union and to restore intact the ancient love. In no way have they been frustrated in their intent. After a long and very toilsome investigation, at last by the clemency of the holy Spirit they have achieved this greatly desired and most holy union. Who, then, can adequately thank God for his gracious gifts?' Who would not stand amazed at the riches of such great divine mercy? Would not even an iron breast be softened by this immensity of heavenly condescension?

These truly are works of God, not devices of human frailty. Hence they are to be accepted with extraordinary veneration and to be furthered with praises to God. To you praise, to you glory, to you thanks, O Christ, source of mercies, who have bestowed so much good on your spouse the catholic church and have manifested your miracles of mercy in our generation, so that all should proclaim your wonders. Great indeed and divine is the gift that God has bestowed on us. We have seen with our eyes what many before greatly desired yet could not behold ... Since, then, one and the same meaning resulted from all this, they unanimously agreed and consented to the following holy and God-pleasing union, in the same sense and with one mind.

In the name of the holy Trinity, Father, Son and holy Spirit, we define, with the approval of this holy universal council of Florence, that the following truth of faith shall be believed and accepted by all Christians and thus shall all profess it: that the holy Spirit is eternally from the Father and the Son, and has his essence and his subsistent being from the Father together with the Son, and proceeds from both eternally as from one principle and a single spiration"

I stand by what I wrote here: "https://onepeterfive.com/filioque-separated-east/

"In Conclusion: A call to our separated brethren in the Eastern Orthodox churches to return soon to holy union with the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Dear Orthodox Christians: A word from our hearts to yours — if we wish Christianity to successfully combat and entirely overcome the new paganism of the culture of death, of abortionism, contraception, divorce, pornography, and other forms of immorality and lawlessness, if we hope for the worldwide Church to receive more conversions from paganism and baptize more individuals into Christ and the Triune God, and make them members of the Church, the time to reunite is now and quickly.

The Immaculate Heart of Mary, the first defender of Christian civilization, alone warned the world about the dangers and errors of communism and the great persecutions threatening the Church and all Christendom. The history of the last century bears sad testimony to the truth of her words and the urgency of her calling. The time is ripe and the hour is now for the Greek and Russian Orthodox churches to profess the Filioque dogma and unite with the Catholic Church for the glory of God.

The world cannot resist the power and grace of a reunited Christendom. Victories in the pro-life movement, victories against Christian persecution, against Islamism, communism, and secularism await us. We have every reason to believe and hope Almighty God will Himself lead the effort to bring the Eastern Orthodox back to the Catholic Church, and His action will give the greatest impetus to world evangelism as has scarcely been seen since the first day of Pentecost. Deus vult. God wills it.

Also foretold in sacred Scripture is the return of the Jewish people to the Faith and to the Church of Jesus Christ. It is inconceivable that Christendom will not be visibly united by the time this happens, and that full reunion would be a glorious preparation for this glorious impending event.

May all Christians of East and West no longer be divided along sectarian lines and national or other denominations, but become One in the Universal or Catholic Church. And this so that, as the Scripture says, the whole world may believe that Jesus Christ is the Lord, and has been sent by the Father for the salvation of us all. “That they all may be one, as thou, Father, in me, and I in thee; that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me” (Jn 17:21).

It would be ideal for popes and patriarchs to meet often, and for faithful Catholics and lay Orthodox to petition them for reunion. This would bring peace to the world and unity to Christendom and gladden the Heart of God so severely pierced. And thus we will welcome, with as minimal tribulation as reasonably possible, the reign of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the triumph of the Immaculate Heart of Mary."
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 05:03:09 PM by Xavier »

Offline TheReturnofLive

• Wachtmeister
Here, I challenge you or anyone to take even one of these matters for serious prayerful study seriously and prayerfully, and actually examine for yourselves what Scripture, Tradition and the Magisterium of the early Councils of the Catholic Church, said about them.

Okay, I'll dismantle every single one of them.

"1. Because Scripture, Fathers, Liturgy, Councils, Tradition teach us Mary is Altogether Immaculate, "Theotokos Panachranta" (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panachranta_(icon)), Stainless, All-Holy (Panagia see https://orthodoxwiki.org/Panagia), the One prepurified Saint (Prokathartheisa), New and Second Eve, Purest Ark of the New Covenant without Stain, FirstFruits of the Second Creation etc: We see abundant Patristic Testimonies to the All-Holiness of the Immaculate Virgin Mary, (1) St. Ambrose says of Mother Mary, "a Virgin not only undefiled, but a Virgin whom grace had made inviolate, free of every stain of sin" - this is especially significant because the Fathers use "stain of sin" to represent original sin; (2) St. Augustine concurs, "We do not transfer Mary to the devil by the condition of Her birth, for this reason, that that condition is dissolved by the grace of Her new birth." and elsewhere he says all the Just have truly known of sin, except only the Holy Virgin Mother of the Lord; (3) St. John of Damascus, "Nature was defeated by grace and stopped, trembling, not daring to take precedence over it. Since the Virgin Mother of God was to be born of Anne, nature did not dare to precede the product of grace; but remained sterile until grace had produced its fruit. O happy loins of Joachim, which had produced a germ which is all immaculate. O wondrous womb of Anne in which an all-holy child slowly grew and took shape!" (4) St. Sophronius of Jerusalem, "Many saints appeared before thee, but none was as filled with grace as thou… No one has been purified in advance as thou hast been ... Thou dost surpass all that is most excellent in man, as well as all the gifts which have been bestowed by God upon all others." (5) St. Andrew of Crete shows how the Eastern Fathers vie with the Western Fathers in praising Mary and declaring Her as New Eve, and Renewed Creation, "Today, humanity recovers the gift it had received when first formed by divine hands, and returns immaculate to its original nobility. The shame of sin had cast a shadow upon the splendor and charm of human nature; but when the Mother of Him Who is Beauty itself is born, this Nature recovers in Her person its ancient privileges, and is fashioned according to a perfect model, truly worthy of God. And this fashioning is a perfect restoration; this restoration is a divinization, and this divinization is an assimilation to the primitive state… In a word, the reformation of our nature begins today; the world, which had grown old, undergoes a transformation which is wholly divine, and receives the first fruits of its second creation." There has been exciting recent theological research by Eastern Catholic Fr. Christian Kappes that documents some of this in more depth. See https://hortulus-journal.com/journal/volume-13-number-1-2017/cuff/

The dogma of the Immaculate Conception does not simply say the Virgin Mary was conceived in pureness or that the Holy Spirit Sanctified her since her conception.

It says explicitly that the Virgin Mary, through a singular grace, by the infinite merits of Jesus Christ, was conceived without the guilt of Original Sin.

The problem with the Immaculate Conception is it is explicitly predicated on Thomism, Anselm's Treasury of Merits theology, and a very specific interpretation of Saint Augustine, none of which are compatible with Orthodoxy.

The problem is not the idea that she was "immaculate" (which in Greek and Russian, has the connotations of "pure", "clean," "innocent," i.e., a virgin), nor the idea that the Holy Spirit sanctified her since the moment of her conception, but the dogma itself is built upon a question that can only be posed by theology which Orthodoxy rejects.

If Original Sin means the total deprivation of Grace [or at least enough cut off Grace that it cuts communion with God, for all goodness is done through Grace] (Augustine), and the Virgin Mary had Grace since her conception, did she have Original Sin? The Roman Church said no. Therefore, the question is how exactly did she not have Original Sin? Through a singular grace (Thomism) in virtue of the Infinite Merits of Jesus Christ (Anselm of Canterbury).

2. Because Sacred Scripture clearly reveals, and Patristic Tradition shows a consistent exegesis of Mat 12:32 and 1 Cor 3:13-15 of a Purifying Fire of Purgatory: The CE says, "According to St. Isidore of Seville (Deord. creatur., c. xiv, n. 6) these words prove that in the next life "some sins will be forgiven and purged away by a certain purifying fire." St. Augustine also argues "that some sinners are not forgiven either in this world or in the next would not be truly said unless there were other [sinners] who, though not forgiven in this world, are forgiven in the world to come" (City of God XXI.24). The same interpretation is given by Gregory the Great (Dial., IV, xxxix); St. Bede (commentary on this text); St. Bernard (Sermo lxvi in Cantic., n. 11) and other eminent theological writers." In brief, St. Caesarius of Arles, St. Cyprian of Carthage, St. Gregory of Nyssa (unless you believe he was an universalist), certainly Pope St. Gregory the Great, St. Augustine, St. Jerome, St. Bede and others interpret the passages on the prison the Lord speaks of or the purifying fire of 1 Cor 3 as as place of purification in purgatorial fire. Doesn't the text itself suggest that interpretation? “if any man’s work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.” (1 Cor 3:15)

No.

Mark of Ephesus's argument:

"After this, a little further on, you desired to prove the above-mentioned dogma of purgatorial fire, at first quoting what is said in the book of Maccabees: It is holy and pious….to pray for the dead…that they might be delivered from their sin (2 Maccabees 12:44-45). Then, taking from the Gospel according to Matthew the place in which the Saviour declares that “whosoever shall speak against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this world, nor in that which is to come” (Matt. 12:32), you say that form this one may see that there is remission of sins in the future life.
But that from this there in no way follows the idea of purgatorial fire is clearer than the son; for what is there in common between remission on one hand, and cleansing by fire and punishment on the other? For if the remission of sins is accomplished for the sake of prayers, or merely by the Divine love of mankind itself, there is no need for punishment and cleansing (by fire). But if punishment, and also cleansing, are established (by God)…then, it would seem, prayers (for the reposed) are performed in vain, and vainly do we hymn the Divine love of mankind. And so, these citation are less a proof of the existence of purgatorial fire than a refutation of it: for the remission of sins of those who have transgressed is presented in them as the result of a certain royal authority and love of mankind, and not as a deliverance from punishment or a cleansing."

On 1 Corinthians:

"First of all, the Divine Apostle called it not a purgatorial but a proving (fire); then he declared that through it good and honorable works also must pass, and such, it is clear, have no need of any cleansing; then he says that those who bring evil works, after these works burn, suffer loss, whereas those who are being cleansed not only suffer no loss, but acquire even more; then he says that this must be on “that day”, namely, the day of Judgment and of the future age, whereas to suppose the existence of a purgatorial fire after that fearful Coming of the Judge and the final sentence—is this not a total absurdity? For the Scripture does not transmit to us anything of the sort, but He Himself Who will judge us says: “And these shall go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life” (Matt. 25:46): and again: “They shall come forth: they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life, and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of judgment (John 5:29). Therefore, there remains no kind of intermediate place; but after He divided all those under judgment into two parts, placing some on the right and others on the left, and calling the first “sheep” and the second “goats” — He did not at all declare that there are any who are to be cleansed by that fire."

"The divine Father Chrysostom also (who is called by us “the lips of Paul,” just as the latter is “the lips of Christ”) considers it necessary to make such an interpretation of this passage in his commentary on the Epistle (Homily 9 on First Corinthians); and Paul speaks through Chrysostom, as was made clear thanks to the vision of Proclus, his disciple, and the successor of his See. St. Chrysostom devoted a special treatise to this one passage, so that the Origenists would not quote these words of the Apostle as confirmation of their way of thought (which, it would seem, is more fitting for them than for you), and would not cause harm to the Church by introducing an end to the torment of hell and a final restoration (apocatastasis) of sinners. For the expression that the sinner “is saved as through fire” signifies that he will remain tormented in fire and will not be destroyed together with his evil works and evil disposition of soul.

Basil the Great also speaks of this in the “Morals,” in interpreting the passage of Scripture, “the voice of the Lord Who divideth the flame of fire” (Ps. 28:7): “The fire prepared for the torment of the devil and his angels, is divided by the voice of the Lord, so that after this there might be two powers in it: one that burns, and another that illumines: the tormenting and punishing power of that fire is reserved for those worthy of torment,; while the illumining and enlightening power is intended for the shining of those who rejoice. Therefore the voice of the Lord Who divides and separate the flame of ire is for this: that the dark part might be a fire of torment and the unburning part a light of enjoyment” (St. Basil, Homily on Psalm 28)
And so, as may be seen, this division and separation of that fire will be when absolutely everyone will pass through it: the bright an shining works will be manifest as yet brighter, and those who bring them will become inheritors of the light and will receive the eternal reward; while those who bring bad works suitable for burning, being punished by the loss of them, will eternally remain in fire and will inherit a salvation which is worse than perdition, for this is what, strictly speaking the word “saved” means — that he destroying power of fire will not be applied to them and they themselves be utterly destroyed. Following these Fathers, many other of our Teachers also have understood this passage in the same sense. And if anyone has interpreted it differently and understood “salvation” as “deliverance from punishment,” and “going through fire” as “purgatory” — such a one, if we may so express ourselves, understands this passage in an entirely wrong way. And this is not surprising, for he is a man, and many even among the Teachers may be seen to interpret passages of Scripture in various ways, and not all of them have attained in an equal degree the precise meaning."

3. Because to abandon the Catholic Church for the Greek church or Oriental Orthodoxy is to squander and throw away the blessings of at least a 1000 years, if not 1500 years, that God has given His Church: E.g. So many Eucharistic Miracles, the great feast of Corpus Christi and the practice of Eucharistic Adoration, a firm belief in Transubstantiation (which is sometimes called into question in Orthodoxy, despite the fact that it was taught, in Scholastic Terms, by the eastern orthodox council of Jerusalem in the 17th century, in the confession of Dositheus), the beauty and piety of Scholastic Theology itself, (which once was held in such high esteem even in Greek Orthodox seminaries), which in most respects is a sublime synthesis of Patristic Tradition - see for example the systematic method in which St. John Damascene proceeds in De Fide Orthodoxa, a methodology that could in itself be called scholastic; St. Chrysostom in his commentaries is very similar. Devotion to the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts, the Holy Face, the Precious Blood, the Holy Wounds, the Divine Mercy, to Our Lady of Guadalupe, Fatima, Lourdes, and so much else a loving God and His Mother so kindly stepped down from Heaven to give us Themselves; in brief, as the Psalmist says, "He has not done in like manner for every nation" (Ps 147:20)

Ignoring all the appeal to emotion ("Look how beautiful Scholastic theology is! Look how beautiful Corpus Christi is!"), as I could do the same thing with Palamism and the Russian Orthodox liturgy (which you can't get in Roman Catholicism),

Miracles are not sufficient to establish truth; the Charismatics have miracles, Medjugorje has miracles, etc. etc. But nonetheless, Orthodoxy has plenty of miracles. Look at the life of Saint Paisios, Saint John Kronstadt, Saint John Maximovitch, Saint Seraphim Sarov, etc. Saint Seraphim Sarov saw Jesus Christ enthroned on the cherubim, blessing the Church in the Liturgy, and Saint Paisios with a younger monk saw the Virgin Mary walking around in his chapel as the candles' fires changed color.

But you will ignore all that because "lol that doesn't count."

4. Because there is no salvation outside the Catholic Church, especially for Catholics who knowingly abandon the Church, unless they become Catholic again before death, as St. Fulgentius states: Two admonitions in justice and charity are necessary. They were given at Lyons II and Florence, where Greek, Syrian and other Eastern Churches were urged to quickly return to Catholic Unity with Rome, as happily many Eastern Catholic Churches did, forming 23 sui iuris Eastern rites. But sadly some obstinately stayed away, mostly misled by Mark of Ephesus. Thus, reiterating the formula of St. Fulgentius, Rome rightly declared, "The Most Holy Roman Church firmly believes, professes and preaches that none of those existing outside the Catholic Church, not only pagans, also Jews, heretics, and schismatics can ever be partakers of eternal life, but that they are to go into the eternal fire 'which was prepared for the devil and his angels' (Mt. 25:41) unless before death they are joined with Her" and this is intended to be an urgent call to all those who are separated, or those thinking of abandoning the Barque of Peter, to re-enter or remain in Her.

Orthodoxy believes in the same thing. If one knows Orthodoxy is the absolute truth, one will die in damnation as a heretic and a schismatic.

5. Because Orthodoxy compromised long ago on divorce: Well known fact. Two of Three evangelists state Christ's prohibition of divorce absolutely, the Third (St. Matthew) speaks of unlawful unions. The Council of Elvira forbad divorce. The Councils of Florence and Trent etc, reiterating Catholic doctrine, rightly point out how much superior temporary separation from bed and board is to divorce and remarriage, and how this allowance is itself both justice and mercy; since when remarriage is never licit, the couples naturally try to solve their differences and unite together again, and how this is a blessing and boon to families, especially for children.

See also https://www.crisismagazine.com/2016/tradition-speaks-one-voice-divorce-remarriage

6. Because Orthodoxy compromised last century on contraception: Another well known fact. What is tragic is even Protestants knew contraception would ruin culture a century ago, would lead to fornication and divorce, pornography, even demand for abortion as last-ditch contraception, and a million other evils. There was the Comstock legislation in the US. But then the 1930 conference in Lambeth came, and all Christendom outside the Catholic Church compromised. The rest is history. All the Fathers condemn contraception, St. Augustine mentioning Onan in Genesis, St. Chrysostom speaking of the evil act as almost homicide, St. Clement and other Fathers etc.

"Since, therefore, openly departing from the uninterrupted Christian Tradition some recently have judged it possible solemnly to declare another doctrine regarding this question, the Catholic Church, to whom God has entrusted the defense of the integrity and purity of morals, standing erect in the midst of the moral ruin which surrounds her, in order that she may preserve the chastity of the nuptial union from being defiled by this foul stain, raises her voice in token of her divine ambassadorship and through Our mouth proclaims anew: any use whatsoever of matrimony exercised in such a way that the act is deliberately frustrated in its natural power to generate life is an offense against the law of God and of nature, and those who indulge in such are branded with the guilt of a grave sin." (Casti Connubii)

I leave aside other little known facts like some Orthodox in Moscow co-operating with Communism in persecuting Catholics, rather than working with Catholics to end the schisms that weaken Christendom and destroy Communism, because those are not doctrinal. But these sad events show how much this inertia that wants to remain in disunity and separation is daily costing Christendom. More urgent than ever is the call of Christ and the obligation of ours to listen to His Voice and, as individuals and communities, to return to or remain in the Catholic Church. See https://sspx.org/en/news-events/news/russian-orthodoxy-and-message-fatima-29859 for more details.

The pot calling the kettle black; Annulments are an absolute joke that it's way easier to get an annulment in Catholicism than to get a divorce in Orthodoxy, and Orthodoxy does not, I repeat, does not view divorce as moral. It believes it's a necessary evil in some cases, which is far different than how normative it is to get an annulment at any point.

That is sufficient in of itself, but also:

https://shamelessorthodoxy.com/2016/09/17/divorce-remarriage-in-the-latin-west-a-forgotten-history/

The Contraception argument is also BS, because what makes Contraception immoral is not Contraception per se, for if this were the case in Catholicism's paradigm, than Catholic priests would forbid contraception for medical benefits. It's the act of using Contraception to prevent children, which is no different than using NFP to prevent children.

It's the same sinful intention: To have sex just for pleasure and nothing else.

Unlike Catholicism, which has websites which I shared in the past that promotes NFP sex as the best thing ever,

Orthodoxy only allows contraception when a Priest deems it necessary for the circumstances to prevent a greater evil.

As for the KGB accusations, the Soviet Union is gone. If you want to go to historical politics, we can go back all the way to the Pope recognizing Charlemagne as the sole Roman Emperor, or perhaps the Fourth Crusade, or perhaps the Serbian Genocide by the Croats which many Catholic bishops were complicit in.

That says little about Pope Francis and the Vatican being a United Nations NGO, promoting Soros and his Liberal ideology. The Russian Church is certainly not doing that now.

Do you not think that Pope Francis is not a tool in control by the United States? That he has perfect liberty to promote pure unadulterated Catholicism?

7. Because the Council of Chalcedon, in its official acts, clearly exegeted Scripture referring to Peter/Pope St. Leo as the Rock of the Church/Head of the Bishops/Chief Shepherd of the Flock etc: "Wherefore the most holy and blessed Leo, archbishop of the great and elder Rome, through us, and through this present most holy synod together with the thrice-blessed and all-glorious Peter the Apostle, who is the Rock and foundation of the Catholic Church, and the foundation of the orthodox faith, hath stripped him (Dioscorus, Bishop of Alexandria) of his episcopate, and hath alienated from him all hieratic worthiness." -- Acts of Chalcedon, Session 3 ... "Knowing that every success of the children rebounds to the parents, we therefore beg you to honor our decision by your assent, and as we have yielded agreement to the Head in noble things, so may the Head also fulfill what is fitting for the children." -- Chalcedon to Pope Leo, Ep 98

Please see http://www.biblicalcatholic.com/apologetics/a35.htm for more Acts of the Council, Teaching of Pope St. Leo the Great, and Letters exchanged by Bishops.

The Greek Orthodox say they accept this Council. Therefore, they should accept St. Peter is the Rock and the Pope of Rome is the Head of the universal Church.
Although the Syrian Orthodox do not accept this Council, the many letters exchanged (documented in the link) show Petrine Primacy of Jurisdiction was already taken for granted and known everywhere. Moreover, the statement of Fr. Philip, with the acceptance of the Council of Ephesus, shows Petrine Primacy lives on forever in the See.

Which is why the Council analyzed closely the Tome of Leo and agreed it was Orthodox, but okay.

8. Because modern Orthodoxy denies original sin, as clearly taught by ancient Councils, and that this sin precisely in infants is remitted in Baptism, per the Creed: "Likewise it seemed good that whosoever denies that infants newly from their mother’s wombs should be baptized, or says that baptism is for remission of sins, but that they derive from Adam no original sin, which needs to be removed by the laver of regeneration, from whence the conclusion follows, that in them the form of baptism for the remission of sins, is to be understood as false and not true, let him be anathema. For no otherwise can be understood what the Apostle says, “By one man sin is come into the world, and death through sin, and so death passed upon all men in that all have sinned,” than the Catholic Church everywhere diffused has always understood it. For on account of this rule of faith even infants, who could have committed as yet no sin themselves, therefore are truly baptized for the remission of sins, in order that what in them is the result of generation may be cleansed by regeneration." https://earlychurchtexts.com/public/carthage_canons_on_sin_and_grace.htm

This needs no further elaboration. It teaches clearly the Catholic doctrine, and hands down the meaning of the Creed. Orthodoxy's mistake on original sin sadly leads to heresy on the Immaculate Conception. Original sin is sometimes called ancestral sin in Orthodoxy, or stain of sin, but then it is denied Mary was without stain.

This canon can be interpreted multiple ways.

9. Because the dogma of the Filioque is unanimously taught by the Latin Fathers, was taught by Saintly Bishops and Patriarchs in Two Ecumenical Councils, represents Nicene Tradition, and is reiterated by the Greek Fathers as "through the Son" (called the per Filium clause in Latin, and is substantially identical to Filioque): Bp. St. Leontius at Nicaea I said, "the Spirit proceeds from the Father, and is proper to the Son and gushes forth from Him." even though the Creed of Nicaea I only said, "I believe in the Holy Spirit", Patriarch St. Tarasios of Constantinople, at Nicaea II, professed, "And in the Holy Spirit, Who proceeds from the Father through the Son, and Who is acknowledged to be Himself God." To take just 3 ancient Popes out of numberless witnesses, Pope St. Leo the Great, "as though there were not one Who begat, another Who is begotten, another Who proceeds from both." Pope St. Hormisdas, "it is characteristic of the Father to generate the Son, characteristic of the Son of God to be born of the Father equal to the Father, characteristic of the Spirit to proceed from Father and Son in one substance of deity.", Pope St. Leo III "the Holy Spirit, proceeding equally from the Father and from the Son, consubstantial, coeternal with the Father and the Son. The Father, complete God in Himself, the Son, complete God begotten of the Father, the Holy Spirit, complete God proceeding from the Father and the Son..." all clearly teach the doctrine of the Filioque.

Saint Maximos the Confessor

"With regard to the first matter, they (the Romans) have produced the unanimous documentary evidence of the Latin fathers, and also of Cyril of Alexandria, from the sacred commentary he composed on the gospel of St. John. On the basis of these texts, they have shown that they have not made the Son the cause of the Spirit — they know in fact that the Father is the only cause of the Son and the Spirit, the one by begetting and the other by procession; but [they use this expression] in order to manifest the Spirit’s coming-forth (προϊέναι) through him and, in this way, to make clear the unity and identity of the essence…."

The Council of Florence:

"In the name of the holy Trinity, Father, Son and holy Spirit, we define, with the approval of this holy universal council of Florence, that the following truth of faith shall be believed and accepted by all Christians and thus shall all profess it: that the holy Spirit is eternally from the Father and the Son, and has his essence and his subsistent being from the Father together with the Son, and proceeds from both eternally as from one principle and a single spiration. We declare that when holy doctors and fathers say that the holy Spirit proceeds from the Father through the Son, this bears the sense that thereby also the Son should be signified, according to the Greeks indeed as cause, and according to the Latins as principle of the subsistence of the holy Spirit, just like the Father.
"

And so, like the meaningless thing of Unleavened/leavened bread, quareling over Purgatory while also praying for the faithful departed, and of the Immaculate Conception while calling Mary Stainless even in the divine Liturgy, this unnecessary dispute between Catholic and Orthodox, per the formula of St. Tarasios at Nicaea II, really comes down ultimately to the difference between "from the Father and the Son" and "from the Father through the Son" which is a distinction without a difference.

The entire schism started when Byzantine Churches in Italy were forced to use unleavened bread by the Normans, because the Normans viewed leavened bread as Judaization. Thomas Aquinas literally says the same thing, and Catholic apologists say the same thing, but they are patronizing like "oh, they may have Judaized the most important part of the Liturgy, but we tolerate that for now."
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 05:47:19 PM by TheReturnofLive »

Offline TheReturnofLive

• Wachtmeister
So you just resort to expletives now. Profanity is not of God either: "9. Be attentive, then, my brethren, and guard your selves against speaking immodestly, more than you would against death. Listen to the advice of the Holy Ghost: ”Make a balance for thy words, and a just bridle for thy mouth; and take heed lest thou slip with thy tongue and thy fall be incurable unto death.” (Eccl. xxvhi. 29, 30.)

”Make a balance” you must weigh your words before you utter them and”a bridle for thy mouth” when immodest words come to the tongue, you must suppress them; otherwise, by uttering them, you shall inflict on your own soul, and on the souls of others, a mortal and incurable wound. God has given you the tongue, not to offend him, but to praise and bless him.

”But, ” says St. Paul, “fornication and all uncleanness, let it not so much as be named among you, as becometh saints.” (Ephes. v. 3.) Mark the words”all uncleanness. ” http://www.traditionalcatholicpriest.com/2017/08/19/vice-speaking-immodestly-st-alphonsus/

The Catholic Church has been patiently and kindly inviting Orthodox Christians for doctrinal discussions for nearly a 1000 years. Now, at long last, the unhappy barriers that divided East and West are falling, and the day draws near when separated Christians will return to the Unity of the Catholic Church. This is what Pope Eugene IV wrote in Laetentur Caeli and Catholics who work for the re-union of the Orthodox with the Church are continuing the noble work that His Holiness of blessed memory so happily began. I'm not going to descend into expletives with you. Sorry. What the Catholic Church desired then, and what Mark of Ephesus so wickedly disrupted, is what She still desires today.

"Pope Eugene IV in Laetentur Caeli (Let the Heavens rejoice): "Council of Florence (XVII Ecumenical), Session 6 — 6 July 1439

[Definition of the Holy Ecumenical Council of Florence, presided by Pope Eugenius IV]

Eugenius, bishop, servant of the servants of God, for an everlasting record. With the agreement of our most dear son John Palaeologus, illustrious emperor of the Romans, of the deputies of our venerable brothers the patriarchs and of other representatives of the eastern church, to the following.

Let the heavens be glad and let the earth rejoice. For, the wall that divided the western and the eastern church has been removed, peace and harmony have returned, since the corner-stone, Christ, who made both one, has joined both sides with a very strong bond of love and peace, uniting and holding them together in a covenant of everlasting unity. After a long haze of grief and a dark and unlovely gloom of long-enduring strife, the radiance of hoped-for union has illuminated all.

Let Mother Church also rejoice. For she now beholds her sons hitherto in disagreement returned to unity and peace, and she who hitherto wept at their separation now gives thanks to God with inexpressible joy at their truly marvellous harmony. Let all the faithful throughout the world, and those who go by the name of Christian, be glad with mother catholic church. For behold, western and eastern fathers after a very long period of disagreement and discord, submitting themselves to the perils of sea and land and having endured labours of all kinds, came together in this holy ecumenical council, joyful and eager in their desire for this most holy union and to restore intact the ancient love. In no way have they been frustrated in their intent. After a long and very toilsome investigation, at last by the clemency of the holy Spirit they have achieved this greatly desired and most holy union. Who, then, can adequately thank God for his gracious gifts?' Who would not stand amazed at the riches of such great divine mercy? Would not even an iron breast be softened by this immensity of heavenly condescension?

These truly are works of God, not devices of human frailty. Hence they are to be accepted with extraordinary veneration and to be furthered with praises to God. To you praise, to you glory, to you thanks, O Christ, source of mercies, who have bestowed so much good on your spouse the catholic church and have manifested your miracles of mercy in our generation, so that all should proclaim your wonders. Great indeed and divine is the gift that God has bestowed on us. We have seen with our eyes what many before greatly desired yet could not behold ... Since, then, one and the same meaning resulted from all this, they unanimously agreed and consented to the following holy and God-pleasing union, in the same sense and with one mind.

In the name of the holy Trinity, Father, Son and holy Spirit, we define, with the approval of this holy universal council of Florence, that the following truth of faith shall be believed and accepted by all Christians and thus shall all profess it: that the holy Spirit is eternally from the Father and the Son, and has his essence and his subsistent being from the Father together with the Son, and proceeds from both eternally as from one principle and a single spiration"

I stand by what I wrote here: "https://onepeterfive.com/filioque-separated-east/

"In Conclusion: A call to our separated brethren in the Eastern Orthodox churches to return soon to holy union with the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church.

Dear Orthodox Christians: A word from our hearts to yours — if we wish Christianity to successfully combat and entirely overcome the new paganism of the culture of death, of abortionism, contraception, divorce, pornography, and other forms of immorality and lawlessness, if we hope for the worldwide Church to receive more conversions from paganism and baptize more individuals into Christ and the Triune God, and make them members of the Church, the time to reunite is now and quickly.

The Immaculate Heart of Mary, the first defender of Christian civilization, alone warned the world about the dangers and errors of communism and the great persecutions threatening the Church and all Christendom. The history of the last century bears sad testimony to the truth of her words and the urgency of her calling. The time is ripe and the hour is now for the Greek and Russian Orthodox churches to profess the Filioque dogma and unite with the Catholic Church for the glory of God.

The world cannot resist the power and grace of a reunited Christendom. Victories in the pro-life movement, victories against Christian persecution, against Islamism, communism, and secularism await us. We have every reason to believe and hope Almighty God will Himself lead the effort to bring the Eastern Orthodox back to the Catholic Church, and His action will give the greatest impetus to world evangelism as has scarcely been seen since the first day of Pentecost. Deus vult. God wills it.

Also foretold in sacred Scripture is the return of the Jewish people to the Faith and to the Church of Jesus Christ. It is inconceivable that Christendom will not be visibly united by the time this happens, and that full reunion would be a glorious preparation for this glorious impending event.

May all Christians of East and West no longer be divided along sectarian lines and national or other denominations, but become One in the Universal or Catholic Church. And this so that, as the Scripture says, the whole world may believe that Jesus Christ is the Lord, and has been sent by the Father for the salvation of us all. “That they all may be one, as thou, Father, in me, and I in thee; that they also may be one in us; that the world may believe that thou hast sent me” (Jn 17:21).

It would be ideal for popes and patriarchs to meet often, and for faithful Catholics and lay Orthodox to petition them for reunion. This would bring peace to the world and unity to Christendom and gladden the Heart of God so severely pierced. And thus we will welcome, with as minimal tribulation as reasonably possible, the reign of the Sacred Heart of Jesus and the triumph of the Immaculate Heart of Mary."

The only reunion which can occur is one which is truthful and not disingenuous.

And if Dante can associate excrement with fraud, I'm allowed to as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malebolge

Offline abc123

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Anglican
Cut and paste out of context or irrelevant Patristic quotes and Scripture while pretending he doesn't know the answer, cut and paste answered, answers ignored until the next time the same exact cuts are pasted in a new thread.

Rinse, repeat.

The following users thanked this post: TheReturnofLive

Offline Xavier

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann

Fine, you can try. But to "dismantle" something, you have to actually (1) go through the Patristic Citations mentioned one by one; and then explain whether you agree or disagree with the Fathers; and if you disagree, why so. (2) And then cite some Fathers of your own. So, let's take the Immaculate Conception Dogma to begin with. Where did you deal with what the Five Fathers cited have said? Where did you cite any Father in response in your "dismantling"? This is not a "dismantling", and historical studies easily show the Immaculate Conception was widely believed in the Greek, Russian and other Eastern Churches long before the Papal definition of His Holiness Pius IX.

Quote from: Return of Live
The dogma of the Immaculate Conception does not simply say the Virgin Mary was conceived in pureness or that the Holy Spirit Sanctified her since her conception. It says explicitly that the Virgin Mary, through a singular grace, by the infinite merits of Jesus Christ, was conceived without the guilt of Original Sin.

Yes, that's right, because, it's dogma (1) that every Grace dispensed is dispensed only on account of the Blood of Christ. By the value of His Merits, He made atonement for all, and dispensed Graces to us where we instead deserved punishments. And (2) He is the Redeemer of His Mother also, and He would not be Her Redeemer, unless it was by the Merits of His Blood, that She was All-Immaculate, exactly as the Dogma says.

Now, here are 5 other ancient testimonies. Please cite some of your own in favor of what you believe on the Immaculate Conception.

[VI] St. Fulgentius of Ruspe : "By these words [Hail, full of grace], the angel shows that She [Mary] was altogether excluded from the wrath of the first sentence, and restored to the full grace of blessing.

[VII] as a historical source on the life of the Blessed Mother at age 3, Whose presentation in the Temple we are soon going to celebrate and commemorate, the infancy Gospel attributed to St. Matthew and handed down by Tradition: "And Mary was held in admiration by all the people of Israel; and when She was three years old, She walked with a step so mature, She spoke so perfectly, and spent Her time so assiduously in the praises of God, that all were astonished at Her, and wondered; and She was not reckoned a young infant, but as it were a grown-up person of thirty years old. She was so constant in prayer, and Her appearance was so beautiful and glorious, that scarcely any one could look into Her face. And She occupied Herself constantly with Her wool-work, so that She in Her tender years could do all that old women were not able to do. And this was the order that She had set for Herself: From the Morning to the Third Hour She remained in prayer; from the third to the ninth She was occupied with Her weaving; and from the ninth She again applied Herself to prayer. She did not retire from praying until there appeared to Her the angel of the Lord, from whose hand She used to receive food; and thus She became more and more perfect in the work of God. Then, when the older virgins rested from the praises of God, She did not rest at all; so that in the praises and vigils of God none were found before Her, no one more learned in the wisdom of the law of God, more lowly in humility, more elegant in singing, more perfect in all virtue. She was indeed steadfast, immoveable, unchangeable, and daily advancing to perfection. No one saw Her angry, nor heard Her speaking evil. All Her speech was so full of grace, that Her God was acknowledged to be in Her tongue. She was always engaged in prayer and in searching the law, and She was anxious lest by any word of Hers She should sin with regard to Her companions. Then She was afraid lest in Her laughter, or the sound of Her beautiful voice, She should commit any fault, or lest, being elated, She should display any wrong-doing or haughtiness to one of Her equals. She blessed God without intermission; and lest perchance, even in Her salutation, She might cease from praising God; if any one saluted Her, She used to answer by way of salutation: Thanks be to God. And from Her the custom first began of men saying, Thanks be to God, when they saluted each other. She refreshed Herself only with the food which She daily received from the hand of the angel; but the food which She obtained from the priests She divided among the poor. The angels of God were often seen speaking with Her, and they most diligently obeyed Her. If anyone who was unwell touched Her, the same hour he went home cured.” So we can easily understand Her All-Immaculate Nature, Her great holiness and perfection in preparing the way for Israel before Her Son.

[VIII] Canon 3 of the 649 Lateran Council under Pope St. Martin I calls Mary Immaculate in passing, "Canon 3. If anyone does not properly and truly confess in accord with the holy Fathers, that the holy Mother of God and ever Virgin and immaculate Mary in the earliest of the ages conceived of the Holy Spirit without seed, namely, God the Word Himself specifically and truly, who was born of God the Father before all ages, and that she incorruptibly bore Him, her virginity remaining indestructible even after His birth, let him be condemned."

[IX] Nicaea II, 787 A.D., also confirms the decrees of Ephesus and Chalcedon and calls Mary Immaculate matter-of-factly, "With the Fathers of this synod we confess that he who was incarnate of the immaculate Mother of God and Ever-Virgin Mary has two natures, recognizing him as perfect God and perfect man, as also the Council of Chalcedon has promulgated," http://www.newadvent.org/fathers/3819.htm

[X] Finally, St. Symeon the New Theologian, leading exponent of Byzantine Theology, has explained, "[Jesus Christ]being Himself at once God and man, His flesh and soul were and are holy - and beyond holy. God is holy, just as He was and is and shall be, and the Virgin is immaculate, without spot or stain, and so, too, was that rib [namely, Eve,] which was taken from Adam. However the rest of humanity, even though they are His brothers and kin according to the flesh, yet remained even as they were, of dust, and did not immediately become holy and sons of God." Immaculate doesn't just mean Virginal; because the Blessed Virgin is called, even in the East, "The Unique All-Immaculate". There are others who chose, out of love for God, to be virgins consecrated to Him; but She alone among Creatures is the Full of Grace, as St. Gabriel said, which means She is entirely without sin, and All-Immaculate in Soul and Body.

Offline Xavier

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
Here is some historical and theological evidence that Orthodox Christians in Russia especially once believed the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception. Notice how the doctrine is taught in precise theological terminology - showing the doctrine of original sin was also taken for granted - and how it is especially and specifically said that, by the Gift of God's Grace to His All-Immaculate Mother, Mary Most Holy was All-Pure and exempt from original sin from the Moment of Her Conception, for e.g. in the Council of Moscow 1666 A.D.

1. For e.g. a Theology Journal reviews recent research by Rev. Fr. Christian Kappes, ""Thanks to the correct interpretation of the Greek roots of the doctrine in Nazianzus and Damascene, the East consistently viewed the prepurification at the Annunciation as a positive purity—not a removal of concupiscence, but a superaddition of grace that prepared the Theotokos for the incarnation.  Her sinlessness from birth, conversely, is designated under expressions like “all-holy,” “ever-blameless,” and “all-immaculate.”  The evidence of this Eastern Tradition is an unbroken theological and liturgical transmission of this idea well beyond John Damascene’s time ... Along with this historical revelation, Kappes proves that the first philosophically robust rejection of the immaculate conception among the Orthodox appears in the sixteenth century, and is completely saturated with Thomistic argumentation.  Historically speaking, the immaculate conception now appears more Orthodox than it is Roman Catholic."https://hortulus-journal.com/journal/volume-13-number-1-2017/cuff/

Comment: the author seems to mean, more Eastern than Western.

Similarly. Eastern Orthodox Priest Rev. Fr. A.F. Kimel writes, in reviewing this work, "This belief is encapsulated in the title given to her by St Gregory the Theologian: prokathartheisa (prepurified) ... [St. Gregory says] "He approaches his own image and bears flesh because of my flesh and mingles himself with a rational soul because of my soul, purifying like by like. And in all things he becomes a human being, except sin. He was conceived by the Virgin, who was purified beforehand in both soul and flesh by the Spirit, for it was necessary that procreation be honored and that virginity be honored more. (p. 71)

Kappes notes that when Rufinus translated the Nativity oration into Latin in the late 4th century, he rendered the Greek word prokathartheisa by the Latin word immaculata." From: https://afkimel.wordpress.com/2018/11/14/mary-prokathartheisa-and-the-immaculate-conception/

2. Rev. Fr. Lev Gillet has documented for us, "The Academy of Kiev, with Peter Moghila, Stephen Gavorsky and many others, taught the Immaculate Conception in terms of Latin theology. A confraternity of the Immaculate Conception was established at Polotsk in 1651. The Orthodox members of the confraternity promised to honour the Immaculate Conception of Mary all the days of their life. The Council of Moscow of 1666 approved Simeon Polotsky’s book called The Rod of Direction, in which he said: “Mary was exempt from original sin from the moment of her conception”. (12) https://eirenikon.wordpress.com/2008/07/31/the-immaculate-conception-and-the-orthodox-church-3/

3. Rev. Fr. Laurent Cleenewerck mentions the Eastern Liturgical texts for Dec. 9th. Don't these imply Mary Prokathartheisa, the Panagia and All-Immaculate, was already pre-sanctified and Immaculate on the Day of Her Conception?

"6. Liturgical Expressions: The Eastern Tradition has always considered the Conception of the Theotokos to be a miraculous event. Joachim and Anna, elderly and barren were given by the power of God's blessings on account of their prayers. The Orthodox Churches celebrate Her Nativity on the 8th of September, but the Feast of Mary's Conception was advanced to 9th December. If the principle of Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi is to be applied to this issue, it seems that Orthodox Hymnography presents Mary as Truly Panagia (All-Holy) entirely free from sin and stain ("Immaculate") from the point of Her Conception. The Liturgical Texts for December 9th exclaim,

This Day, O Faithful, from saintly parents begins to take being the Spotless Lamb, the Most Pure Tabernacle, Mary.

Having conceived the Most-Pure Dove ...

The Unique All-Immaculate [Mary] is today made manifest to the Just by the Angel. He who announced the Conception of the All-Immaculate Virgin gave our human race news of great joy. The prelude of God's Grace falls today [on the day of the Theotokos' Conception by St. Anne] in the Conception of the All-Immaculate"

It is the Immaculate Virgin Who came to Fatima to warn the world of the dreadful scourge of atheistic Communism. It is the Immaculate Mother Who authored the downfall of godless Communism in the former Soviet. It is Mary Immaculate Who will bring Russia home to Rome. She has promised it, and Her Promise will never fail.

Offline TheReturnofLive

• Wachtmeister

Fine, you can try. But to "dismantle" something, you have to actually (1) go through the Patristic Citations mentioned one by one; and then explain whether you agree or disagree with the Fathers; and if you disagree, why so. (2) And then cite some Fathers of your own. So, let's take the Immaculate Conception Dogma to begin with. Where did you deal with what the Five Fathers cited have said? Where did you cite any Father in response in your "dismantling"? This is not a "dismantling", and historical studies easily show the Immaculate Conception was widely believed in the Greek, Russian and other Eastern Churches long before the Papal definition of His Holiness Pius IX.

No, I don't if your argument is illogical or inconsistent, where it is sufficient to show that it's illogical or inconsistent to dismantle it.

Even with Patristic citations, I did here. For example, my citation cites both John Chrysostom and Basil as two authorities that interpreted the 1 Corinthians passage as referring to Heaven and Hell being one fire, one which gives glory to the Saved, but burns for eternity the damned; another authority I didn't cite but could cite is the Ethiopic text of the Apocalypse of Peter, believed by Clement of Alexandria to be authentic, which says the same thing.

And I've done moreso countless other times on the issues of say even Contraception, where I showed that both Clement of Alexandria and Augustine condemn the idea that sex can be used for pleasure and not the creation of a new life.

Plus, if we are only working within using Patristic resources, how are you able to use the "Russian Church is a Soviet run institution" argument at all, and how will I be able to refute it? Do we have to find some bogus script from the 15th century which claims it's Augustine and predicts that the Holy Roman Emperor will rise against Russia?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 06:29:09 PM by TheReturnofLive »

Offline Xavier

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
Quote from: Live
Even with Patristic citations, I did here.

We will come back to Purgatory, the second bullet point, subsequently. We can start with the 10 Patristic and Ancient Sources on the Immaculate Conception. Do let me know what your objections are to them - I'd be curious to hear that. Or, if you agree with them, then we can see where the disagreement lies. After that, we can continue from there.

As for the history, the doctrine as such is first evidenced in the ancient Catholic Church; the historical theology is only an addendum to that. Thus, for e.g. the Council of Carthage is cited in proof of original sin in the early Church, to establish the primary point, that original sin is revealed doctrine, from Sacred Scripture, Sacred Tradition and the Magisterium of the Church in early Councils. If the Council of Jerusalem under Patriarch Dositheus is cited because it also taught original sin or the Council of Moscow in 1666 said the Blessed Mother of God is free from original sin from the point of Her Conception, that is a secondary point tracing the theological history of the doctrine in the Eastern Churches. Hope that clears it up.

Two further corroborating points. One on the doctrine from the Eastern Liturgy (same for Eastern Catholics and Eastern Orthodox), as mentioned by His Excellency Bp. Kallistos Ware, and one on the history:

Doctrine: Orthodox Bishop Kallistos Ware says this: "In Orthodox services Mary is often mentioned, and on each occasion she is usually given her full title: ‘Our All-Holy, immaculate, most blessed and glorified Lady, Mother of God and Ever-Virgin Mary.’ Here are included the three chief epithets applied to Our Lady by the Orthodox Church: Tkeotokos (Mother of God), Aeiparthenos (Ever-Virgin), and Panagia (All-Holy).

The first of these titles was assigned to her by the third Ecumenical Council (Ephesus, 431), the second by the fifth Ecumenical Council (Constantinople, 553) ... The title Panagia, although never a subject of dogmatic definition, is accepted and used by all Orthodox.

The Orthodox Church calls Mary ‘All-Holy;’ it calls her ‘immaculate’ or ‘spotless’ (in Greek, achrantos); and all Orthodox are agreed in believing that Our Lady was free from actual sin. But was she also free from original sin? In other words, does Orthodoxy agree with the Roman Catholic doctrine of the Immaculate Conception ...

The Orthodox Church has never in fact made any formal and definitive pronouncement on the matter. In the past individual Orthodox have made statements which, if not definitely affirming the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception, at any rate approach close to it; but since 1854 the great majority of Orthodox have rejected the doctrine ... From the Orthodox point of view, however, the whole question belongs to the realm of theological opinion;

Orthodox Prest Fr. John Meyendorf has this to say: "Christ's humanity is a humanity without stain, and She who gave Him this humanity "resembled Him in all things," as Palamas says, that is to say She possesses by special grace original purity. It is indeed probable that Palamas' very striking piety with regard to the Virgin would have led him to accept that doctrine, if he had shared the Western conception of original sin."

History: "Every Russian theological student knows that St Dmitri, metropolitan of Rostov (17th century), supported the Latin “theory of the epiklesis” (10); but young Russians are inclined to consider the case of Dmitri as a regrettable exception, an anomoly. If they knew the history of Russian theology a little better they would know that from the middle ages to the seventeenth century the Russian Church has, as a whole, accepted belief in the Immaculate Conception (11)." [from the link given earlier]