Salve

Started by Filia Dei, December 27, 2019, 08:27:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Filia Dei

Hello all!

My name is Linda and I came across SD while searching for traditional Catholic forums. I am also a member of Catholic.com forum, and you get some traditional voices on there, but it's overwhelmingly a liberal perspective. My user name is the one that I use on Youtube. My avatar means that I am on an upward trajectory.

I am married to a man who is agnostic but sympathetic to my choice to become Catholic. I am waiting for an annulment before being baptized. I have been seeking and studying Catholicism for over three years now. I live in Port Townsend Washington and the church here is quite liberal. I'm not happy with this, but cannot relocate at this time. The nearest traditional church is a couple of hours away.

I am an INTJ personality type in the Meyers Briggs test. I have a difficult time being in a crowd or around other people for extended amounts of time and prefer to be in prayer by myself. If I do get together with people I need time to myself to recover. That said, I love and treasure people whom I have come to know and I pray for all people of the world.

My favorite books are the Bible (of course. New Jerusalem translation is my favorite), Dean Koontz books, Tolkein, 19th century fairy tales.

My favorite movies: A Man for all Seasons, It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol 1984 with George C. Scott, Pride and Prejudice (with Colin Firth), Les Miserables (1952 with Michael Rennie), Gone with the Wind. My all-time favorite movie is Sunrise, a song of Two Humans, a silent film with George O'Brien and Janet Gaynor. It's a beautiful story of a simple country man who has a simple loving wife but gets tempted enough by a city girl to plot to kill his wife. The rest of the film is his attempt to repair his marriage and it is beautiful.

I don't watch TV. We watch movies on Amazon and Netflix (I know, tsk tsk). One of my favorite series is Dexter. The reason is complicated. I have a fascination with the murderous mind.

I don't follow sports and neither does my husband. My hobbies are research (genealogy, crime, history), playing piano, writing, art.

My pet peeves are many, but I'm working to whittle them down.

I grew up in Venice, California in the sixties and seventies. I lived in England for six months and attended services in Westminster Abbey. A couple years later when researching my family I discovered that an ancestor of mine (John Packer) is buried at the abbey. He had been a member of parliament and the Clerk of the Privy Court of King James I and King Charles I.
Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc et in hora mortis nostrae.

Fleur-de-Lys

Patriarch

Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Thy great mercy . . . "
— Psalm 50, 3.

Lynne

In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

Sempronius

Whats an annulment?

red solo cup

non impediti ratione cogitationis

Heinrich

Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Michael Wilson

Linda,
Welcome to the Forum;
I'm a big Tolkien fan also. Ditto for "Its a Wonderful Life"; "Gone with the Wind" (One of my favorite all time books, also).
I hope you like it here, and my prayers that you will soon be Baptized and become a member of the Church.
:pray2:
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers