Author Topic: Bp. Barron on "reaching out to the religiously unaffiliated"  (Read 203 times)

Offline Xavier

• Mary, Queen and Protectress of our Faith, protect our Faith from all the Satanic threats to it. Mary, Refuge of Holy Love, grant us final perseverance in Grace and Holy Love forever.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Indian Catholic
    • Marian Apostolate Life Offering.
  • Religion: Catholic Christian (Roman Rite Latin Traditionalist)
Bp. Barron on "reaching out to the religiously unaffiliated"
« on: December 01, 2019, 08:18:16 AM »
Bp. Barron recently gave a talk where he deplored the loss of faith among the young, especially those who are "religiously unaffiliated". It's a real problem, and I didn't listen to it entirely, but I don't think Bp. Barron is nearing on the solution.

1. The first solution must be Tradition: The Bishops literally were told this when they directly asked - https://www.churchmilitant.com/news/article/bishops-ask-young-catholics-why-they-stay-its-the-latin-mass

This can be a good evangelism opportunity for Traditional Catholics imo. Bishops and even Faithful are seeking answers. We must provide them. Now, the next 3 are things I believe are WRONG in modern Catholic practice, and things that urgently need to be changed.

2. Reluctance to preach EENS, and the necessity of conversion for all: Fr. Feeney called this one right in the 40s imo, and without in any way denying the doctrine of Baptism of Desire, which itself does not in any way deny the doctrine of the necessity of Catholic Faith (as taught by St. Athanasius in his Creed, affirmed by St. Augustine and the Council of Florence) for salvation (even those baptized by desire should become Catholic before death, believing explicitly at least in Our Lord Jesus Christ, according to St. Thomas and St. Alphonsus), it is necessary to preach EENS firmly and faithfully. All are called to become Catholic to be saved. We must preach it. At least to non-Christians to begin with.

3. Unwillingness to fight and oppose pagan pseudo-science like the junk "science" of evolution: Evolution has directly contributed to the loss of Catholic and Christian Faith among countless millions, and was loved by Communists, Nazis, eugenicists and other terrorists: "So baneful has been the effect of teaching evolution as a proven hypothesis, that multitudes have been led into infidelity and atheism. Prof. James H. Leuba, of Bryn Mawr College, Pa. sent a questionnaire to 1000 of the most prominent scientists teaching sciences relating to evolution. The replies indicate that more than one-half do not believe in a personal God, nor the immortality of the soul--beliefs almost universal even in the heathen world. So pernicious is this doctrine of evolution that more than one-half of the professors who teach it and kindred subjects, are infidels and atheists and farther from God than the ignorant heathen ... A doctrine so abhorrent to the conscience, so contrary to the well nigh universal belief, and so fruitful of evil, certainly can not be true. Small wonder is it that students are fast becoming infidels and atheists, and we shudder as we think of the coming generation ... Most of the writers who advocated evolution became atheists or infidels; most of the professors who teach it, believe neither in God nor the immortality of the soul; and the number of students discarding Christianity rose from 15% in the Freshman year to 40% in the Senior. What more proof is needed?" http://www.ldolphin.org/wmwilliams.html Evolutionist hoaxes like "Piltdown Man" were correctly exposed in this Creation Science Textbook in 1920 some 33 years before evolutionary secularists caught up, and universally admitted the hoax. The catastrophic loss of Christian Faith, however, had already happened. "For the four decades before it was exposed, Piltdown man was considered the ‘missing link’. It was used as one of the key evidences against creation in the Scopes trial. It altered the education in the United States for a whole generation and found its way into major science textbooks and encyclopedias—and it was a hoax. There were over 250 publications on Piltdown man alone!1 The implications for evolutionary theory were tremendous. Entire evolutionary-developmental theories about hominid evolution were based on Piltdown and many of those were demolished when the fraud was exposed. 250 publications! It would be nothing short of historical revisionism to downplay its significance." https://creation.com/evolution-fraud Surveys show less than 50% in England, a historically Christian country, where the theory of evolution began, now identify as Christians. Fr. Ripperger has also critiqued evolution and its Freemasonic roots from a Thomistic perspective.

4. Hostility to apologetics and to the harmony between faith and reason: it's very important that a theology student should have mastered St. Thomas Five Proofs for God's Attributes and Nature, and some miraculous specifics to Christianity. Including (1) the major Eucharistic Miracles of the Church, (2) the miraculous apparitions of Our Lady (3) miracles in the lives of the Saints, (4) Messianic Prophesies, (5) the miraculous proofs of the Resurrection, e.g. the Turin Shroud, as known by its effects in the lives of the Apostles etc.

5. Prayer Crusades, Marian and Eucharistic Devotion, devotion to the Sacred Heart etc should be encouraged and prioritized: Catholics can only have deep faith experience when both individually and together with other Catholics they are encouraged to really practice the Faith. We cannot understand what we do not live. If we do not live as we believe, we will come to believe as we live.

I believe Bp. Barron mentions things like "attract them through Beauty, Justice and Truth" as part of what he believes to be the solution. We can agree with that, but not exactly where he's going. Tradition is Beauty and Beauty attracts all, especially the young. That's been proven. I personally believe Bp. Barron seems well-intentioned, but he makes many mistakes on the other things imho.

Thoughts on the video?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2019, 09:33:15 AM by Xavier »
Mary, our Heavenly Mother, implores those who receive Holy Communion Daily, or at least Weekly, to Offer their Lives. TEXT OF THE LIFE OFFERING, adapted and pluralized: Dear Lord Jesus, before the Holy Trinity, Our Heavenly Mother, and the whole Heavenly Court, united with Your most Precious Blood and Your Sacrifice on Calvary, We hereby Offer our whole Lives to the Intention of Your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Together with our life, we place at Your disposal all Holy Masses, all our Holy Communions, all Rosaries, all acts of consecration, all our good deeds, all our sacrifices, and the suffering of our entire life for the Adoration and Supplication of the Holy Trinity, for Unity in our Holy Mother Church, for the Holy Father, Pope Francis the First; and for His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI. For His Eminence Patriarch Kirill of Moscow, His Excellency Metropolitan Hilarion, as well as His Eminence Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople, that they may re-unite their flocks with the Catholic Church, and there may soon be but One Fold and One Shepherd. For all the 220+ Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, for all 5500+ Bishops of the Universal Church that they may be true Apostles and Shepherds; and for the 400,000+ Priests, the 700,000+ Nuns, 50,000+ Monks, 100,000+ seminarians, that they may all become the Saints the Divine Will wishes them to be; we pray for good Priestly and Religious Vocations, and for All Souls until the end of the world. O my Jesus, please accept our life Sacrifice and our offerings and give us Your grace that we may all persevere obediently until death. Amen." https://marianapostolate.com/life-offering/ Please pray this daily and you and your family will be saved. You will avoid Purgatory.

Daily Morning Offering: O my God, in union with the Immaculate Heart of Mary,  I offer Thee the Precious Blood of Jesus from all the Altars  throughout the world, joining with It the offering of my every thought, word, and action of this day. I desire to gain every Indulgence and Merit I can, offering them, together with myself, to Mary Immaculate, Whom Thou hast appointed the dispenser of the merits of Thy Precious Blood, especially by means of this Scapular  [Here kiss your Brown Scapular] that She may best apply them to the interests of Thy Most Sacred Heart. Amen.

Consecration to Our Blessed Mother: My Queen, my Mother! I give myself entirely to Thee, and to show my devotion to Thee I consecrate to Thee this day, my eyes, my ears, my mouth, my heart, my whole being without reserve, Wherefore, good Mother, as I am Thine own, keep me, guard me, as Thy property and possession." http://www.catholictradition.org/Mary/morning-offering.htm

"I am the Lady of the Rosary. Pray the Rosary (i.e. 15 decades; 5 decades is a part of the Rosary) every day to obtain Peace for the World." ~ Our Lady of the Rosary of Fatima.

Offline Traditionallyruralmom

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Raising warriors for Christ and our country!
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
Re: Bp. Barron on "reaching out to the religiously unaffiliated"
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2019, 09:38:57 AM »
I cannot watch Barron.  He is wasting his breath on a topic he has already done much damage to.  Why bother moving his mouth and vocal cords over the loss of faith among the young, especially those who are "religiously unaffiliated....His new and improved Church has done plenty of damage in this regard.  Biggest issue I can see, If hell could possibly be empty, WHY be Catholic?  There is no point.  Might as well "do what your heart tells you" is right and "be a good person" because there is no reason to strive for anything else if there is no hell. 

All of his hand wringing and words are useless in light of this "theology"
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, MundaCorMeum, martin88nyc, Philip G.

Offline Xavier

• Mary, Queen and Protectress of our Faith, protect our Faith from all the Satanic threats to it. Mary, Refuge of Holy Love, grant us final perseverance in Grace and Holy Love forever.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Indian Catholic
    • Marian Apostolate Life Offering.
  • Religion: Catholic Christian (Roman Rite Latin Traditionalist)
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 10:22:41 AM »
Good Point, Traditionallyruralmom. "hell may be empty" is one of the worst errors of today and Bp. Barron sadly promotes it. Hell is not empty, Saints have seen several souls in hell, and countless others in grave danger of falling into that dreadful lake of fire. That's another reason the urgency and zeal for Catholic Evangelism that the Saints of old used to have has been lost in the modern Church today - we no longer believe the world is on its way to hell without Christ, and all those in mortal sin are always in terrible danger of eternal punishment.

Pope Benedict XVI also mentioned that loss of attentiveness to Faith and Salvation led to crisis post Vatican II, "The missionaries of the 16th century were convinced that the unbaptized person is lost forever. After the [Second Vatican] Council, this conviction was definitely abandoned. The result was a two-sided, deep crisis. Without this attentiveness to the salvation, the Faith loses its foundation." https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/pope-emeritus-benedict-says-church-is-now-facing-a-two-sided-deep-crisis

Anyway, here's a video from Sensus Fidelium for those interested. A talk by Fr. Ripperger criticizing "evolution and the culture of death".

Mary, our Heavenly Mother, implores those who receive Holy Communion Daily, or at least Weekly, to Offer their Lives. TEXT OF THE LIFE OFFERING, adapted and pluralized: Dear Lord Jesus, before the Holy Trinity, Our Heavenly Mother, and the whole Heavenly Court, united with Your most Precious Blood and Your Sacrifice on Calvary, We hereby Offer our whole Lives to the Intention of Your Sacred Heart and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Together with our life, we place at Your disposal all Holy Masses, all our Holy Communions, all Rosaries, all acts of consecration, all our good deeds, all our sacrifices, and the suffering of our entire life for the Adoration and Supplication of the Holy Trinity, for Unity in our Holy Mother Church, for the Holy Father, Pope Francis the First; and for His Holiness Pope Benedict XVI. For His Eminence Patriarch Kirill of Moscow, His Excellency Metropolitan Hilarion, as well as His Eminence Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople, that they may re-unite their flocks with the Catholic Church, and there may soon be but One Fold and One Shepherd. For all the 220+ Cardinals of the Holy Roman Church, for all 5500+ Bishops of the Universal Church that they may be true Apostles and Shepherds; and for the 400,000+ Priests, the 700,000+ Nuns, 50,000+ Monks, 100,000+ seminarians, that they may all become the Saints the Divine Will wishes them to be; we pray for good Priestly and Religious Vocations, and for All Souls until the end of the world. O my Jesus, please accept our life Sacrifice and our offerings and give us Your grace that we may all persevere obediently until death. Amen." https://marianapostolate.com/life-offering/ Please pray this daily and you and your family will be saved. You will avoid Purgatory.

Daily Morning Offering: O my God, in union with the Immaculate Heart of Mary,  I offer Thee the Precious Blood of Jesus from all the Altars  throughout the world, joining with It the offering of my every thought, word, and action of this day. I desire to gain every Indulgence and Merit I can, offering them, together with myself, to Mary Immaculate, Whom Thou hast appointed the dispenser of the merits of Thy Precious Blood, especially by means of this Scapular  [Here kiss your Brown Scapular] that She may best apply them to the interests of Thy Most Sacred Heart. Amen.

Consecration to Our Blessed Mother: My Queen, my Mother! I give myself entirely to Thee, and to show my devotion to Thee I consecrate to Thee this day, my eyes, my ears, my mouth, my heart, my whole being without reserve, Wherefore, good Mother, as I am Thine own, keep me, guard me, as Thy property and possession." http://www.catholictradition.org/Mary/morning-offering.htm

"I am the Lady of the Rosary. Pray the Rosary (i.e. 15 decades; 5 decades is a part of the Rosary) every day to obtain Peace for the World." ~ Our Lady of the Rosary of Fatima.

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Never have been "MiriamB"
  • Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2019, 12:42:48 PM »
I cannot watch Barron.  He is wasting his breath on a topic he has already done much damage to.  Why bother moving his mouth and vocal cords over the loss of faith among the young, especially those who are "religiously unaffiliated....His new and improved Church has done plenty of damage in this regard.  Biggest issue I can see, If hell could possibly be empty, WHY be Catholic?  There is no point.  Might as well "do what your heart tells you" is right and "be a good person" because there is no reason to strive for anything else if there is no hell. 

All of his hand wringing and words are useless in light of this "theology"

All of these guys mistakenly believe that the way to evangelize is to apologize.  Just more effeminacy from the Conciliar Sect.

Step One:    Convert to the truth Faith and do penance for having propagated your errors
Step Two:    Apologize to the faithful for the Church's lies to them for 60 years
Step Three:  Evangelize

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, martin88nyc

Offline christulsa

• Feldwebel
    • The Okie Traditionalist Blog
  • Religion: Greg’s Kung Fu
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2019, 06:11:19 PM »
Canon212 treated us to the IRS tax forms of 1P5, Catholic Answers, the Remnant, etc.  Would be curious what the prolific online Bishop Barron makes per year for his evangelization efforts.  :shrug:   ;)

The following users thanked this post: Miriam_M, Prayerful

Offline Innocent Smith

• Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2019, 07:10:34 PM »
Barron is looking at a very large group when we stop and consider most VII Catholics can realistically being categorized in the "Religiosly Unaffiliated" subgroup.
I am going to hold a pistol to the head of the modern man. But I shall not use it to kill him, only to bring him to life.

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 03:40:52 PM »
Regarding 3, Pius XII in Humani Generis at roughly point 36 held that it could be possible to consider a Catholic understanding of Evolution. Simple-minded biblical literalism should be left to Protestants. St Augustine and others places a greater emphasis on allegory and drawing moral instruction from that.

Bishop Barron seems to spew amiable nothingness in what I saw. If someone from the 1930s somehow were to hear him, they would think him a Freemason, or Masonically influenced, or a sort of Protestant, and in a way that's it.

Fr Feeney and the persecution he endured from the contraception supporting, ecumenist and modernist Richard Cardinal Cushing, frankly makes him somewhere between a prophet and a canary in the mine.

The suppression of the New Order of Mass, and an effort to assist the restoration of local uses like Sarum, which seem to have been deliberately ignored, or Lyons which is almost reliable on one or two FSSP priests, is what is needed or everything will be in vain. Now thinking of the Theory Evolution, the term 'Survival of the Fittest' comes to mind. This term of Hebert Spencer came to be associated with Darwin's Theory. What I mean is that the New Order of Mass won't survive without the patronage of the dying V2 generation and its most perverse disciples like Boff or Bergoglio. The Mass is the highest prayer of the Church. Mutilations of it are frankly unworthy of life. The Modernist, deviant derivations of Nouvelle Theologie also needs to die. Anyhow, the canker of V2 will pass into history some day, but it will require prayer and practical effort.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

The following users thanked this post: Maximilian