Author Topic: Everyday headcovering?  (Read 782 times)

Offline Bernadette

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: Everyday headcovering?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2019, 12:25:51 PM »
In "The Quiet Man," Maureen O'Hara just pulls her shawl over her head when she wants to go into the church.

I did the same thing in Rome, with one of those pashmina shawls. With churches around every corner a veil was impractical.
"Make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead, and is come to life again; he was lost, and is found."

The following users thanked this post: Maximilian, Traditionallyruralmom, queen.saints, Blue Violet

Offline Maximilian

• Hauptmann
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2019, 12:44:22 PM »
In "The Quiet Man," Maureen O'Hara just pulls her shawl over her head when she wants to go into the church.

I did the same thing in Rome, with one of those pashmina shawls. With churches around every corner a veil was impractical.

While I was looking for the photos of Irish women wearing shawls that I posted above, I ran across a web page about Irish Fashions that said pashminas were all the rage for a while in Ireland.

A few years ago at Christmas I went on-line and bought a couple dozen pashminas for all the women in the family. Several of them, at least, are still being worn each Sunday.

What I like about pashmina shawls and similar items is that it makes covering your head seem like a natural part of every day life, rather than a circular doily-type chapel veil that you pop on your head as your genuflect in the aisle.

The following users thanked this post: Traditionallyruralmom, queen.saints, Blue Violet

Offline Vetus Ordo

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: The Way
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2019, 02:28:18 PM »
Female headcoverings was a venerable tradition that Islam has zealously kept and that we, sadly, have altogether abandoned.

And, no, hats don't count.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

The following users thanked this post: Fleur-de-Lys, Blue Violet

Offline Maximilian

• Hauptmann
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2019, 03:47:18 PM »

Female headcoverings was a venerable tradition that Islam has zealously kept and that we, sadly, have altogether abandoned.

Yes, sad indeed. And it is doubly ironic when Christians act like Muslims are crazy weirdos simply for continuing to do what Christians always had done.

Yes, of course hats counts. They cover the head.

The following users thanked this post: Vetus Ordo, queen.saints

Offline Vetus Ordo

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: The Way
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2019, 08:03:01 PM »

Yes, of course hats counts. They cover the head.

Hats don't cover the whole hair which is the main point of veiling. It's a modesty issue.

It's one thing to veil oneself, quite another thing to put a hat on.
DISPOSE OUR DAYS IN THY PEACE, AND COMMAND US TO BE DELIVERED FROM ETERNAL DAMNATION, AND TO BE NUMBERED IN THE FLOCK OF THINE ELECT.

The following users thanked this post: Blue Violet

Offline Traditionallyruralmom

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Raising warriors for Christ and our country!
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2019, 10:53:06 PM »
Hats don't cover the whole hair which is the main point of veiling. It's a modesty issue.

Had this discussion with an Amish neighbor once when I was wearing a headcovering all the time.  He was trying to tell me that since some of my hair still showed, it was not legit.  Have to laugh now because I began to see my neighbors wives and daughters hair showing all over the place after I began to look for it  :)
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Offline Maximilian

• Hauptmann
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2019, 11:53:38 AM »

Had this discussion with an Amish neighbor once when I was wearing a headcovering all the time.  He was trying to tell me that since some of my hair still showed, it was not legit.  Have to laugh now because I began to see my neighbors wives and daughters hair showing all over the place after I began to look for it  :)

The Mennonite women near me wear headcoverings, but they're those little white bonnets that barely cover any hair at all.

One time I was shopping in Walmart at the same time as a large Amish family. The teenage girl had the smallest headcovering her parents let her get away with. I thought it was hilarious, "I'm wearing a long black dress, but this little headcovering shows that I'm really a rebel at heart." I wonder if girls at Amish schools roll up their skirts so you can see their ankles? Reminiscent of some teenage girls at the Latin Mass.

The following users thanked this post: Traditionallyruralmom, Blue Violet

Offline Traditionallyruralmom

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Raising warriors for Christ and our country!
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2019, 01:03:49 PM »

The Mennonite women near me wear headcoverings, but they're those little white bonnets that barely cover any hair at all.

One time I was shopping in Walmart at the same time as a large Amish family. The teenage girl had the smallest headcovering her parents let her get away with. I thought it was hilarious, "I'm wearing a long black dress, but this little headcovering shows that I'm really a rebel at heart." I wonder if girls at Amish schools roll up their skirts so you can see their ankles? Reminiscent of some teenage girls at the Latin Mass.
It is hard for the Amish around me to rebel via dress.  The community I live within is very regimented in that way.  The way their teens rebel is by vaping, drinking, getting a cell phone...and I dont want to know what else  :(
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.