Author Topic: Thanks for having me in the forum!  (Read 159 times)

Offline GaudeMariaVirgo

• Hellebardier
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Thanks for having me in the forum!
« on: November 10, 2019, 12:27:48 PM »
Hello all! Excited to meet everybody!

What brings you to SD?

My husband and I are new converts to Catholicism (we were baptized together this past Easter Vigil, with our five-month-old following soon after) and thought this seemed like a nice community that would have good insight into structuring a Catholic family life, learning about Tradition, etc! I've been lurking here for a little over a year and finally decided to take the plunge and join.

Are you a member of other Internet fora?  If so, care to mention which one(s)?

Formerly Fisheaters under another name, but I wasn't very active there.

Why did you choose your avatar?

I chose an icon of Ss. Joachim & Anne -- the latter is one of our family's patron saints and our daughter's namesake. 

What is your state of life - single, married, religious, or still discerning?

Married, with one child (so far)!

Whereabouts do you live "in real life"? (be as specific or as general as you wish!)

The city of Chicago (the actual city, not the metro area!)

Personality type?

ENFJ (I think melancholic/choleric)

Favorite books?

Novels & short stories by G. K. Chesterton, H. G. Wells, Jules Verne, Ray Bradbury, C. S. Lewis, Charles Dickens and many others, also lots of nonfiction -- WWII history, Religious Studies (especially Second Temple Judaism, early Christianity, ancient Israelite/Near Eastern religion), "how-to" crafting books & cookbooks, ancient & modern philosophy etc.

Favorite movies?

Ghostbusters  :-[

Favorite TV shows?

Arrested Development & Breaking Bad (from my pre-Catholic days  ;)), Youtube DIY & cooking channels

Favorite sports/teams?

I'm from San Diego originally and used to watch Chargers games with my dad while growing up, but don't currently follow any sports.

Have any hobbies?

Knitting/crocheting, ukulele (I play mainly kids' songs for my one-year-old), cactus collecting

Pet peeves:

Guilt trips, passive aggression, groups of people who fan out across the whole sidewalk and then walk very slowly in front of you  :P

Fun random fact about yourself

My husband and I are both from Southern California, but didn't meet until we moved to Chicago for grad school!

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Maximilian, Xavier

Offline Maximilian

• Hauptmann
Re: Thanks for having me in the forum!
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2019, 12:59:49 PM »

Favorite sports/teams?

I'm from San Diego originally and used to watch Chargers games with my dad while growing up, but don't currently follow any sports.

Philip Rivers, Catholic quarterback.

Catholic NFL player shocks interviewer who asks, “Are you done having children?”

This father of 8 children is open to more.

Los Angeles Chargers football player Philip Rivers astonished reporters and the world of sports this past fall when he said he and his wife hoped they had more children. The thing that shocked many people about this statement? At the time of the interview he’d already been blessed with eight beautiful children.
Now, make that nine…. Rivers and his wife, Tiffany recently announced they are expecting their ninth child.

Rivers and his family are devout Catholics — he and Tiffany are junior high-school sweethearts who married when they were 19 and 18, respectively. They have six girls and two boys ranging in age from 16 to almost 3 years old, and are completely open to life. 

During an interview with sports talk host Dan Patrick, the reporter asked Rivers if he and his wife were done having children. The quarterback responded, “Heck no! I hope not.“ Seemingly in disbelief, Patrick said “I should talk to your wife. Does your wife know that you want to have more?”

Confidently, the quarterback affirmed the couple’s mutual stance on life and having more babies, saying, “Oh yeah, she’s all in!” Rivers went on to describe a little about how the family functions — saying that since the three oldest children are girls, there are lots of extra hands to help with the younger children, and that having so many children is “awesome.”

Rivers has been outspoken about his faith before, and in this 2017 interview, where he said, “My faith has always been very important to me. When I went to college is really when it became my own. I had to get up out of that dorm room and go to church, go to Mass on Sunday. That’s when I took ownership of my faith.”

Later on, in the same interview, he boldly affirmed that the success of his marriage and family has been due the fact that his and Tiffany’s relationship has been built on the foundation of a relationship with Jesus.

As the interview closed, Rivers added, “I hope that God has used me to touch one of you in your faith journey with Jesus.”

The following users thanked this post: Xavier, GaudeMariaVirgo

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2019, 01:46:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum!
I hope you enjoy your time here, we have some great members.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

The following users thanked this post: GaudeMariaVirgo

Offline Lynne

• happy to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • We're all special snowflakes
  • Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 02:31:31 PM »
Welcome!
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline Jacob

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2019, 04:28:18 PM »
From San Diego to Chicago...  How'd you like that?  ;)
“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.”
--Neal Stephenson

Offline Non Nobis

• Why are you fearful?
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2019, 05:11:25 PM »
Hello all! Excited to meet everybody!
Whereabouts do you live "in real life"? (be as specific or as general as you wish!)

The city of Chicago (the actual city, not the metro area!)
Favorite movies?

Ghostbusters  :-[

My husband and I are both from Southern California, but didn't meet until we moved to Chicago for grad school!

So glad to have you here! Congratulations on coming home to the Catholic Church!

I'm from Milwaukee originally, but that was only for 10 years.  I've been in San Diego since then (many, many years).  I remember the original "Ghostbusters" movie came out in 1984, the year the San Diego Padres made it to the World Series. They were playing the Chicago Cubs in the National League Championship, and San Diego made up a song "Cub Busters".  It was a lot of fun at the time (I've never seen San Diego so excited as when they won the Championship over Chicago).  But then Detroit demolished them in the World Series. I just noted that Chicago won the World Series in 2016, after 100 years of waiting.  San Diego is still waiting...!  The only San Diego Charger game I watched all the way through was the Superbowl in 1994, where they were also demolished by the San Francisco 49ers. I was more into baseball... but that was back then; now I'm not much into any of it.
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Offline The Curt Jester

• Water-drinker at the Coffee Social
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Neo-Pelagian Angry Traditionalist with Narcissistic Tendencies
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2019, 06:54:02 PM »
I try to bypass Chicago as much as possible, but I used to attend Mass in Chicago on a fairly regular basis considering it was one of the few options for the TLM.
The royal feast was done; the King
Sought some new sport to banish care,
And to his jester cried: "Sir Fool,
Kneel now, and make for us a prayer!"

The jester doffed his cap and bells,
And stood the mocking court before;
They could not see the bitter smile
Behind the painted grin he wore.

He bowed his head, and bent his knee
Upon the Monarch's silken stool;
His pleading voice arose: "O Lord,
Be merciful to me, a fool!"

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2019, 05:11:58 AM »
 :toth:
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

Offline GaudeMariaVirgo

• Hellebardier
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2019, 10:33:26 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

From San Diego to Chicago...  How'd you like that?  ;)

It's so different than where I grew up! Probably the first place with a real "big city vibe" that I've lived in. I went to college in Rhode Island so was used to the weather already, but Chicago is definitely a city like no other (the winter here is so much colder and greyer than in New England, and the people here seem SERIOUS). My husband loves it out here in the Midwest, I don't think he wants to go back to California ever (which I don't understand at all)!

So glad to have you here! Congratulations on coming home to the Catholic Church!

I'm from Milwaukee originally, but that was only for 10 years.  I've been in San Diego since then (many, many years).  I remember the original "Ghostbusters" movie came out in 1984, the year the San Diego Padres made it to the World Series.

I just noted that Chicago won the World Series in 2016, after 100 years of waiting.  San Diego is still waiting...!  The only San Diego Charger game I watched all the way through was the Superbowl in 1994, where they were also demolished by the San Francisco 49ers.

Thank you so much! And wow, you've lived in San Diego longer than I have! Really nice to meet a local on here.  :) I actually remember that Chargers/49ers Superbowl game from when I was about 4 years old, my dad was so excited (and then crushed). I don't think San Diego is really the greatest at professional sports, but that's ok -- we have cactus biodiversity, a great zoo and awesome food to console us! My parents still live in San Diego so we get to visit fairly often. We are actually still looking for good TLMs out there -- do you have an opinion on the best local Mass?

I try to bypass Chicago as much as possible, but I used to attend Mass in Chicago on a fairly regular basis considering it was one of the few options for the TLM.

Yes, we attend a beautiful TLM parish here! It's one of the things I like most about living in this area, although I do get homesick from time to time.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne