Author Topic: Alternative medical care  (Read 317 times)

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Roter Fleisch, der Speck und Bourbon
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
Alternative medical care
« on: November 03, 2019, 06:16:32 PM »
What alternative medical treatments and therapies are "no goes" for Catholics? That is, are spiritually dangerous since they conjure (dark) spiritual elements. Reiki and yoga are clearly satanic. What about acupuncture, chiropractic, medical marijuana, etc.?

Thanks!
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Alternative medical care
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 07:25:34 PM »
It’s my understanding that traditional acupuncture is based on chi energy. I’m not familiar with any other claims it has, particularly of its mechanics.

Chiropractic can be quackery, or not. The ones who approach it as aligning energy are surely to be avoided. Those who recognize the mechanics of the body, simply, can be beneficial.

MMJ will have detractors for its abusers, but the reality is no priest worth his salt is going to decry it without also lambasting other narcotics which the Church accepts for medical usage. To accept those and not MMJ is bereft of coherence and bespeaks emotional reactions and cognitive dissonance. The immoral reality of marijuana usage remains forbidden only in the recreational sphere.

"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

Woe is me, because I have held my peace. Isaiah 6

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Traditionallyruralmom

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Roter Fleisch, der Speck und Bourbon
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 07:41:35 PM »
I had a great chiropractor in CS: he was a bodybuilder and Catholic. California transplant with his family. I'll let you ponder that. He was great with the stretching and mechanical alignments. It was great therapy from fingers, back, knee, ankles, shoulders, etc.. I can't find an equivalent here in KY and my pains are becoming more acute. I absolutely refuse to take prescriptive narcotics as a routine. Maybe for spot pain relief for a week or two, but not as a modus vivendi each day until I die. Hence, my question. Thanks, G.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 07:48:48 PM »
While I do not partake of MMJ due to a variety of factors (sec clearance, etc.), the benefit it has is pain relief without being addictive like real narcotics - particularly opiates. I’ve talked with enough people who live relatively normal lives that would otherwise be addicted to pills. My understanding with MMJ is withdrawal is easier than kicking coffee habits. Certainly easier than chewing tobacco.

"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

The following users thanked this post: mikemac

Offline Davis Blank - EG

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 09:29:48 PM »
Are the pains in a few select areas like back, or in all joints like arthritis?

The best bricklayer in the world cannot build a brick house unless he first has the bricks to do it.  Your body is exceptionally good at growing itself (from a cell into hulking Heinrich).  But if it does not have the minerals and vitamins necessary then it cannot even begin the task it is more than capable of doing.  I think a lot of chronic pains are rooted in digestive related matters.

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 09:32:07 PM »
Are the pains in a few select areas like back, or in all joints like arthritis?

The best bricklayer in the world cannot build a brick house unless he first has the bricks to do it.  Your body is exceptionally good at growing itself (from a cell into hulking Heinrich).  But if it does not have the minerals and vitamins necessary then it cannot even begin the task it is more than capable of doing.  I think a lot of chronic pains are rooted in digestive related matters.

Brawndo has electrolytes tho.

The following users thanked this post: Davis Blank - EG

Offline Traditionallyruralmom

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Raising warriors for Christ and our country!
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 10:02:17 PM »
I have a wonderful chiro who is no "woo" as they say.  He has excellent skill with muscle work as well, and my pregnancy was very comfortable because of his care.  Same for massage.  It pays to find a massage practitioner who is all about muscles and nothing else new age... hard to find these days, but SO worth it for various issues.
Homeopathy is something that people will argue about.  Women of Grace, a Novus Ordo group that is very well meaning in their crusade against the New Age quotes many protestants on the topic against its use.  My SSPX priest says that it is fine, and just a healing modality that we do not understand yet.  My Institute priest said it was given the ok by Monsignor.   So, I use it. 
Herbs and the sort are pretty basic...nothing magical about them.  Certain substances God put in them do certain things.
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 10:07:58 PM »
While I do not partake of MMJ due to a variety of factors (sec clearance, etc.), the benefit it has is pain relief without being addictive like real narcotics - particularly opiates. I’ve talked with enough people who live relatively normal lives that would otherwise be addicted to pills. My understanding with MMJ is withdrawal is easier than kicking coffee habits. Certainly easier than chewing tobacco.
In the bad old days, I was addicted to pot...like an alcoholic.  Id say its addictive to some people, and the withdrawal is intense.  Kicking it was only by the grace of God in my life.  This was long before it was ok to talk about pot in public, and there was certainly no place to go and say "help me!" without being scared they were going to take your kids away.... other than the confessional  Pathetic and sad to note, had a baby on Tuesday.  In the "Breastfeeding how to" booklet they gave me at the hospital they tell you to "try to not smoke Marijuana while you are nursing"...good grief, thats all I have to say :(

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 10:14:20 PM »
Physiologically, that’s odd. I’ve never met anyone who had that sort of experience.

Offline Davis Blank - EG

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Wachtmeister
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 10:23:21 PM »
Congratulations on the new baby!

:cheer:

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Traditionallyruralmom

Offline gsas

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 02:38:38 AM »
Reikiki(?) And Yoga may be satanic, but they frequently produce successful exorcism where Catholic methods fail.  I don't know anything about these two except this statistics.  So it seems possible to practice both for good deeds as long as they are practiced in lock step with and in full dedication to the Lord Jesus Christ.  By the way, why is Yoga satanic?

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 08:47:42 AM »
Physiologically, that’s odd. I’ve never met anyone who had that sort of experience.
I guess I am a physiological abnormality  :cheeseheadbeer:
ok, so I see what you are getting at.  For me it was more of a mental withdrawal.... I never had the shakes or anything like that...but the suffering of wanting it, needing it to get through the day...It was like a black hole when I said NO MORE!  Before that, I seriously could not be up for 5 minutes without partaking.   I could not feel "joy" without it.  Though I know now that my natural ability to release dopamines were probably so suppressed that naturally induced happiness at that point was impossible. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 08:51:27 AM by Traditionallyruralmom »

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 08:53:52 AM »

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 08:55:34 AM »
again, from an exorcist..... why is Yoga satanic?

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich

Offline Gardener

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 09:10:45 AM »
I guess I am a physiological abnormality  :cheeseheadbeer:
ok, so I see what you are getting at.  For me it was more of a mental withdrawal.... I never had the shakes or anything like that...but the suffering of wanting it, needing it to get through the day...It was like a black hole when I said NO MORE!  Before that, I seriously could not be up for 5 minutes without partaking.   I could not feel "joy" without it.  Though I know now that my natural ability to release dopamines were probably so suppressed that naturally induced happiness at that point was impossible.

Right, I suppose mental withdrawal is another thing. But that can be with anything.

Opiates, the general pain killer of prescriptive norm, are an entirely different thing. Rough stuff on the body. High probability of relapse into addiction. Pot... physically really no more addictive than coffee or anything else.

With opiates, one has the physical AND mental withdrawal, which is a double edged sword.

The following users thanked this post: mikemac, Traditionallyruralmom