Author Topic: What's worse, women wearing pants or women wearing short skirts?  (Read 926 times)

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
So, this question crossed my mind.

I'm walking down the road, and I notice that there are two classes of women. (This is not intended to be an exhaustive list.)

The first class wears pants. Not those revealing 'yoga pants' that everyone wears these days... just ordinary pants (like slacks or blue jeans or business attire or whatever).

The second class wears skirts, but these skirts are excessively short and revealing.

Now it is commonly believed that both classes of women are 'immodest'. The first class is immodest because they're dressed like men when they should be dressed like women. The second class is immodest because even though they are dressed like women, they are dressed in such a way as to incite lust in men.

But I'm wondering, which kind of immodesty is worse? My first thought was that the second class is worse. But now I'm thinking maybe it's the first class, since a licentious woman is nevertheless a woman whereas a man is not at all a woman. (Yet the first class seems to be a more remote, less severe threat. The first class slowly eats away at society whereas the second class sends men to hell in an instant.)

Or, I suppose a different (but related) question would be, which class should men find to be the more repulsive? Should men be repulsed more by the impropriety of the first class's pants, or by the licentiousness of the second class's skirts?

Third, what exactly determines that pants are proper to men and that skirts/dresses are proper to women? It probably isn't our nature that determines this (Adam and Eve were naked, after all). It also doesn't seem to be in the nature of the clothes (clothes are artificial and don't even have natures). There seems to be at least some conventionality to it. But it doesn't seem to be solely conventional, or else pants would be proper to both men and women (at least in 21st century America where a majority of women wear some sort of pants).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 11:25:51 PM by Daniel »

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Never have been "MiriamB"
  • Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
Re: What's worse, women wearing pants or women wearing short skirts?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 01:33:37 AM »
Pants are worse.  And in any case, many pants for women are so tight they reveal absolutely every inch of her body below the waist.  A non-fitted,non-tight short skirt doesn't do that.

Super short skirts are indecent, yes, and worse if --like modern, stretchy pants-- they are also tight and therefore vulgar.

There are really two separate issues here: (1) immodesty; (2) dressing in a masculine way.  A pair of pants could be both, but a skirt can only be one.

Or, you could say there are 3 issues, and that a skirt can be
immodest (revealing) and vulgar (in poor taste, so as to trash her femininity and lower herself)

whereas pants can be both of those ^ but are also masculine in the category of attire.

The following users thanked this post: Daniel

Offline Traditionallyruralmom

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Raising warriors for Christ and our country!
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 09:31:56 AM »
By far the worst is men dressing up like women and wearing either short skirts or tight pants......
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

The following users thanked this post: Daniel, Prayerful, MundaCorMeum, Blue Violet

Offline Prayerful

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 11:52:22 AM »
Yes, far worse. It is intriguing to what what the Powers That Be decide is to be the next social justice.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Offline Arvinger

• Korporal
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 12:00:59 PM »
I think one of the SSPX bishops (Bishop Tissier de Mallerais if I remember correctly) once stated that pants are worse, because short skirts, while certainly immodest, are at least feminine, while pants are both immodest and unfeminine.

The following users thanked this post: Traditionallyruralmom

Offline St.Justin

• Feldwebel
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 05:34:04 PM »
oh lordy, not again.....

The following users thanked this post: Non Nobis, clau clau, Chestertonian, MundaCorMeum

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 11:41:23 PM »
What about a woman wearing pants under a short skirt?

Which is worse, a short kilt or a Longshanks?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 11:43:19 PM by Gardener »
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

Woe is me, because I have held my peace. Isaiah 6

The following users thanked this post: Michael Wilson, St.Justin

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Never have been "MiriamB"
  • Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 12:05:37 PM »
What about a woman wearing pants under a short skirt?

Leggings worn under a skirt are often a good idea for women, just as tights are.  They work under short or long skirts.

The following users thanked this post: Blue Violet

Offline gsas

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 02:24:04 AM »
Adam and Eve were naked. 

What a woman decides to wear is usually determined by her level of obesity.

There is very little temptation that American women can send men to tell with.  They have given that power up long time ago.

Pants are a Mongolian invention, to facilitate riding battle horses at deep subzero temperatures.  Genghis Khan would not have been able to conquer the world if his horsemen had frozen to death every winter.  So pants are really skirts only with a slit in their middle to allow a wide enough division of the legs for the back of a horse.

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 06:56:09 AM »
Adam and Eve were not naked long after the Fall.
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

Woe is me, because I have held my peace. Isaiah 6

Offline Daniel

• Feldwebel
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 09:05:09 AM »
Eve was naked before the fall, and then she put on fig leaves, and then she was given animal skins which may or may not have been in the form of a dress.

I'm not sure what gsas's point was, but my question was what dictates that women must wear skirts/dresses as opposed to pants? My point was that it can't be her nature that dictates this, since by her nature she wasn't supposed to wear anything to begin with. Her clothes are a consequence of the fall.
It seems to me that the different kinds of clothes are at least partly an accident of history. Or a social construct. Had it been the case that women always (or at least traditionally) wore pants then it wouldn't be wrong for them to wear pants today. But if this is the case then how do we know that women can't wear pants today? The vast majority of women wear pants, and this has been going on since before I was born. So maybe women today are supposed to wear pants.
Nevertheless, it does seem unfitting that women should wear pants. Something about it just seems wrong. It really does seem that some clothes are proper to women and other clothes are proper to men. But what is the cause?

Offline gsas

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 10:50:06 AM »
Maybe the cause is beauty.  God wants men to work.  And God wants women to beautify.  So when women wear elastic pants on streets that show all their curves even sometimes including their camel-toes, then they just do God's work of beautifying the world.  This is a failure most of the time though, because women sabotage themselves by drinking endless soda until their curves are 300 pounds each.  Then they don't beautify anything, they are not even in the shape of God any more, even though Genesis says that God created them in its own image. Such is the sin of gluttony.

The fact that men interpret it as temptation points to the other of the 7 sins named lust, and for those men the recommendation to repeat the end of the Lord's Prayer more often may be useful: " and lead us not into temptation ".

The following users thanked this post: Daniel

Offline gsas

• Vizekorporal
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 12:30:27 PM »
Actually, here is a very compelling argument from girls for wearing pants instead of skirts.  A pants that is tight on the upper legs and on the center of the girl's body can't be removed from the girl without the girl's cooperation, so it is a very effective protection against sexual assault.  Girls in Africa for example rarely if ever go out of their houses without the tight pants when they go to party.  A skirt doesn't provide any protection, because of its open design flaw.

Offline Sempronius

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 01:00:40 PM »
I believe its hard for a attractive woman to be anonymous wearing a skirt. Its not like in the 1800s anymore when women wore these skirts:

Nowadays skirts reveal quite a lot of her figure. And the femininity makes it even more attractive.

My choice for a women would be pants (if they dont want to dress like a 18th century farm girl)

Offline coffeeandcigarette

• Hellebardier
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2019, 09:22:15 AM »
Maybe the cause is beauty.  God wants men to work.  And God wants women to beautify.

Oh brother...

Ok, so I am going to sit here on the couch looking gorgeous and my husband can do all the work...

Women beautify with beautiful actions. Women are much more naturally spiritual than men, so they beautify society with Christian virtue. Women are not "called to be beautiful." Many women on this planet were born downright ugly and nothing will change that, so are they not fulfilling their vocation? The feminine spirit ought to be beautiful, all else should be modest, clean, and as attractive as is appropriate and possible.