Luisa Piccarreta and her Divine Will

Started by kmo_9000, October 15, 2019, 10:28:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmo_9000

So there is another thread about her that wasn't very active. I became aware of Luisa's "Divine Will" be because a Novus Ordo priest is encouraging it and having prayer meetings. From what I've listened it seems really off, and my family member who attends these prayer groups speaks strangely about "being in the Divine Will."

This is supposedly a summary of the status of her writings.

This is what Fr. John Hardon thinks about it.

Some other information is detailed on this website including more detailed analysis by Fr. William Most.

In short, the writings seem to promote a kind of Quietism, she claims to have received a "new revelation", and speaks of "the Divine Will" which is a "new sacrament" which makes your actions "purely divine."

This stuff is so strange, I just don't understand how informed Catholics, let alone priests, could be attracted to this. Her cause is now apparently open for beatification and canonization. What a scandal it would be if that were to actually happen given how problematic her writings are.

Xavier

Divine Will Devotion was approved by H.H. Pope St. Pius X and already had many Imprimaturs before the 1930s or so. "Several witnesses relate that one day Father Annibale came to the house of Luisa more content than ever, and said that he had brought this book to the Holy Father, Saint Pious X, who had received him several times in private audience. Father Anniable was reading him one of the Hours (that of the Crucifixion), when the Pope interrupted, saying: "Not this way, Father, but kneeling one must read. It is Jesus Christ that is speaking." Finally, Father Annibale, as Censor of the writings, obtained the Imprimatur from His Excellency the Archbishop of Trani for the volumes written by Luisa (at that time there were already nineteen)." https://www.queenofthedivinewill.org/st-pius-x/

The Blessed Mother also explains Her own Perfect Conformity with the Divine Will ever since Her Immaculate Conception that made Her the Saint of Saints. To Her especially it has been given, to do all that is necessary, as St. Montfort also prophesied, to bring about, through desire for perfect union with Her Son's Will and His Sacred Heart, to bring about the Reign of Jesus in this world.

St. Padre Pio also prophesied, "The world will be filled with Luisa...The third millennium will see her light." https://www.queenofthedivinewill.org/saint-padre-pio-and-luisa-picarreta/

Also from source, March 22, 1929 "My daughter, ... UNTIL I FIND SOME WHO HAVE INTEREST, AND TAKE TO HEART AND MAKE IT EVEN MORE IMPORTANT THAN THEIR OWN LIVES TO MAKE KNOWN THESE TRUTHS AND KNOWLEDGE, THE KINGDOM OF MY WILL CAN HAVE NEITHER ITS BEGINNING, NOR ITS LIFE, UPON EARTH."

The foretold Kingdom of the Divine Will, when all will love God and do His Will, is very much like the Triumph of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. For it to come about first, great efforts toward our own sanctity will be necessary. St. Alphonsus wrote much about uniformity with the Divine Will as a necessary path to perfection, "Perfection is founded entirely on the love of God: 'Charity is the bond of perfection;' and perfect love of God means the complete union of our will with God's." and ""My heart is ready, O God, my heart is ready." He asked God for one thing alone -- to teach him to do his will: "Teach me to do thy will." A single act of uniformity with the divine will suffices to make a saint. Behold while Saul was persecuting the Church, God enlightened him and converted him.

What does Saul do? What does he say? Nothing else but to offer himself to do God's will: "Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?" In return the Lord calls him a vessel of election and an apostle of the gentiles: "This man is to me a vessel of election, to carry my name before the gentiles ... Let us repeat it time and time again and it will please God more than all our mortifications and devotions. There is no better way to serve God than cheerfully to embrace his holy will. St. John of Avila once wrote to a sick priest: "My dear friend, -- Do not weary yourself planning what you would do if you were well, but be content to be sick for as long as God wishes. If you are seeking to carry out God's will, what difference should it make to you whether you are sick or well?'' The saint was perfectly right, for God is glorified not by our works, but by our resignation to, and by our union with, his holy will." (From Uniformity with God's Will by St. Alphonsus https://www.ewtn.com/catholicism/library/uniformity-with-gods-will-12644)
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Michael Wilson

Its the craziest bunch of malarkey anybody ever could read. Avoid it like the plague.
X-man is a great guy and a faithful Catholic, but his one weakness is that he has no "apparition filter" in his equipment.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Xavier

Since His Holiness Pope St. Pius X and glorious Catholic Stigmatist St. Padre Pio have approved, there is no need of any personal "apparition filter" on my part (which could well be completely erroneous, being my own opinion), but simply deference to their authoritative judgment.

As Catholics, we trust the judgment of the authorities deputed by Almighty God in His Church to judge of such questions. Do you doubt the authority or judgment of Pope St. Pius X, or the Bishops of a 100 or so years ago, who gave their Imprimatur to these writings, Michael?

God bless.
Bible verses on walking blamelessly with God, after being forgiven from our former sins. Some verses here: https://dailyverses.net/blameless

"[2] He that walketh without blemish, and worketh justice:[3] He that speaketh truth in his heart, who hath not used deceit in his tongue: Nor hath done evil to his neighbour: nor taken up a reproach against his neighbours.(Psalm 14)

"[2] For in many things we all offend. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man."(James 3)

"[14] And do ye all things without murmurings and hesitations; [15] That you may be blameless, and sincere children of God, without reproof, in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation; among whom you shine as lights in the world." (Phil 2:14-15)

Gardener

As laymen we absolutely have the right to be "apparition filters" because the Church herself states that we do not have to follow, adhere to, or even believe in ANY private revelation.

If St. Peter himself appeared and proclaimed something, not a single living soul would, or could, be bound to believe it. Revelation ceased with the death of the apostle John, and that's de fide.

Whether something privately revealed is deemed approved simply means it isn't against defined doctrine. It's not an endorsement, and certainly isn't binding.
"If anyone does not wish to have Mary Immaculate for his Mother, he will not have Christ for his Brother." - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Michael Wilson

Neither St. Pius X nor P. Pio approved of Luisa's hallucinations. Her writting were placed on the Index during the reign of Pius XII and not removed until that "champion of orthodoxy" (sic), Cardinal Ratzinger removed them.

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Michael Wilson

Here is the decree, (Pius XI not XII)
QuoteOn Wednesday, July 13, 1938, in the General Session of the Supreme Sacred Congregation of the Holy Office, the Most Eminent and Reverend Cardinals concerned with the defense of the faith and good morals, following the previous recommendation of the Reverend Consultors, have condemned and ordered inserted into the Index of forbidden books the following works written by Luisa Piccarreta and published by others at different times in several places:

The Watch of the Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ, with a Treatise on the Divine Will

In the Kingdom of the Divine Will

The Queen of Heaven in the Kingdom of the Divine Will

The following Thursday, July 14 of the same month and year, Our Most Holy Father, Pius XI, Pope by Divine Providence, in the usual audience accorded the Most Excellent and Reverend Assessors of the Holy Office, approved the decision of the Most Eminent Cardinals that had been submitted to him, confirmed it, and ordered it published.

Given in Rome at the Palace of the Holy Office, August 31, 1938. Romulus Pantanetti, Notary of the Sacred Congregation of the Holy Office

Michael Wilson

https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/library/view.cfm?recnum=5981
QuoteThe purpose of this compilation is to provide information on the visionary Luisa Piccarreta, her writings and on the Kingdom of the Divine Will movement. Possibly due to bad translations, noted theologians, including Fr. William Most and Fr. John A. Hardon, S.J., have found that the underlying premises of Luisa's writings are not consistent with the magisterial teaching of the Roman Catholic Church. Presently her writings are being studied by the Church.

Michael Wilson

QuoteThe proponents of the Kingdom theory insist there is something more and higher: the will is takenĀ­over by God. On pp.10-11 of a letter to me: Our Lord responds...moreover it is certain that I have called you [Luisa] first over other souls. Because to no other souls, however much I have loved them, have I shown How to Live in My Will, the Effects, the Marvels, the Riches that the Creature receives Who acts in my Supreme Will. Search the lives of the Saints as much as you wish or in books of doctrine and you will not find the wonders of My Will Operating In the Creature and the Creature Acting in My Will. The Most You will find will be Resignation, Abandonment, the Union of Wills. But the Divine Will working in the Creature and The Creature in My Will, You will not find This in Anyone.
Living in the Divine Will excels living in sanctifying grace. We possess the Divine Will as our own. We possess God's will. You can't say that about sanctifying grace. When a soul is in sanctifying grace his human will produces activities and directs them.

We note that the Divine will is working IN the Creature and the Creature IN God's Will.-What does the IN mean? It cannot be local presence, for a Spirit does not take up place. Nor could it mean ontological identity-then the soul would be God. Nor could it mean identity of action: for all God's actions are identical with His Being. Then the soul would be identical with God. There remains only identity of objects willed. But this amounts to conformity with the will of God."

2. The general picture, and the definition of the Council of Trent make clear that the highest point, the spiritual marriage, comes only after a long and difficult process of development. Yet there is some confusion: Fr. Ceslo in a video said when he first considered entering the KW it seemed very difficult; but he found all he needed to do is desire it. Could God dispense with the long process and give the KW without the intermediate steps?. By omnipotence He surely could. If that is the case, then why is it said that God had to wait 2000 years to find souls capable of taking in this KW? And why would He refuse to give it to St. Joseph and all the greatest Saints of the past-many were intellectually developed like St. Thomas Aquinas and St. John of the Cross. Many were entirely mortified, giving up their own desires, like St. John of the Cross, St. Anthony of the desert and so many others. Were none of them capable, while today many are supposed to be capable, so as to start a new era-which presupposes many entering? One swallow does not make a Spring. Further, Fr. Ceslo said that in the KW a soul may sin, even sin mortally, but to get back in KW only a good confession would suffice. So why was 2000 years of preparation required?

However another competent authority has said that there is no instantaneous sanctity, although God is so generous He is more than eager to give the gift of the Divine Will to anyone disposed provided one desires it with all one's being.

3. Luisa claimed that it was revealed to her that the only soul that ever entered heaven, after Our Lady, after living in the Divine will, was Bl. Hannibale. Again, this downgrades the Saints of 2000 years. God wanted souls to be in KW-why did He not simply give it?

4. Our Lady is quoted as saying this living in the KW is the sacrifice of sacrifices. How then can it be had by merely desiring it, as Fr. Ceslo said?

5. Many times the claim is made by proponents of KW that Adam and Eve had the gift of the KW. We know they had sanctifying grace- but neither Scripture nor the documents of the Church says even once that they had KW. And if the will is so thoroughly taken over by God in the KW- how could Adam and Eve so quickly sin?

6. The claim is made that in the Our Father we have been praying, thy Kingdom come for this gift for 2000 years? But no exegete ever saw that idea in the Our Father-it is a prayer that the kingdom, the Church, those doing God's will, may be increased. And Jesus Himself over and over went about preaching that the kingdom is at hand-but was He so wrong as to miss it by 2000 years. This helps us to see that the word kingdom in the Our Father does not have the meaning of the KM.

7. The Newsletter on p. 2: For years and Years the Writings which are to renew the face of the earth ,the Writings which will bring a glorious New Era for the World, the Writings which disclose the Original Purpose for which God created us, the Writings which are given to the world in 36 volumes known as "the Book of Heaven" have not received their deserved attention. ....It is our opinion that this unveiling of the original words of the "Book of Heaven" was a greater event than Moses coming down from Mount Sinai with the ten commandments. For these writings will renew the Face of the Earth and provide the certain means for the return of mankind to the original spiritual state of our first parents, Adam and Eve. p. 17: Those who will welcome it with love will be the first fortunate children to belong to the Kingdom of the divine Fiat." But priests who work against it will be punished.

8. In vol. 23, March 8, 1928 Jesus says: These [Luisa's] writings cost me more than creation and redemption. They [the writings] have within them all the value of My will.

9.Jesus said He came to redeem, not to sanctify. This is to be a new era. As Jesus suffered and died for the era of redemption, Louisa suffered and died for the era of sanctification. There are three fiats: first creation; Second Our Lady's fiat brought the incarnation and redemption; Luisa brings sanctification.

10.The Apostles stayed with Our Lady for instruction after Christ's death. In the Kingdom of the divine Fiat Luisa is the new mother because these truths are now in her. She will guide priests in her and they will have a great love for Luisa. She will intercede for priests who hear and understand.

11.Since God was not given the proper glory, Jesus according to Fr. Ceslo had to redo all previous acts. Then Our Lady did the same. Now Luisa does the same.

12. Jesus told Luisa there is nothing against faith or morals in these writings. And: an Imprimatur guarantees them. But Imprimaturs today no longer guarantee freedom from error, sadly.
Crazy bunch of ideas, that are being promoted to deceive good souls.

St.Justin

Nazianzen

Goodness, a first rate heretic.  How could anybody be taken in by this obvious garbage?  Itching ears?

"I have called you [Luisa] first over other souls. Because to no other souls, however much I have loved them, have I shown How to Live in My Will, the Effects, the Marvels, the Riches that the Creature receives Who acts in my Supreme Will. Search the lives of the Saints as much as you wish or in books of doctrine and you will not find the wonders of My Will Operating In the Creature and the Creature Acting in My Will. The Most You will find will be Resignation, Abandonment, the Union of Wills. But the Divine Will working in the Creature and The Creature in My Will, You will not find This in Anyone."

Kreuzritter

Xavier

QuoteNeither St. Pius X nor P. Pio approved of Luisa's hallucinations.

Prove it. I already gave references, here is more.

1. Pope St. Pius X's approval: "One of the best-remembered episodes, according to a number of witnesses, was the time that St. Father Hannibal took the book, The Hours of the Passion, to the Holy Father, now St. Pius X (who received him privately on a number of occasions, as did Popes Benedict XV and Pius XI as well). While showing it to him, he was reading a few pages when the pope interrupted him, saying, "Not while standing, Father; this book should be read kneeling. It is Jesus Christ who is speaking."  http://www.divvol.org/luisa_piccarreta/en/hannibal_apostle.htm There were also many Imprimaturs given before 1938.

2. St. Padre Pio, who was himself persecuted at the time, supported her: "When Luisa was condemned by the Holy Office and her works put on the Index, Padre Pio sent her this message though Federico Abresch: "Dear Luisa, saints serve for the good of souls, but their suffering knows no bounds". At that time Padre Pio was also in very great difficulties.

Blessed Padre Pio sent many people to Luisa Piccarreta and would say to the people of Corato who went to San Giovanni Rotondo: "What have you come here for? You have Luisa, go to her".

Padre Pio recommended to certain of his faithful (including Federico Abresch) that they open a spirituality center at San Giovanni Rotondo, inspired by the Servant of God Luisa Piccarreta.

Miss Adriana Pallotti (a spiritual daughter of Padre Pio) is currently an heir to Padre Pio's wishes. She has opened a House of the Divine Will at San Giovanni Rotondo, keeping alive the torch lit by Padre Pio with Federico Abresch. Miss Adriana Pallotti says that it was Blessed Padre Pio who encouraged her to spread Luisa Piccarreta's spirituality in San Giovanni Rotondo and to help disseminate the Divine Will throughout the world, as Padre Pio desired." http://www.sanpadrepio.com/luisa.htm

Mystics of the Church has a good article on her: http://www.mysticsofthechurch.com/2010/08/servant-of-god-luisa-piccarreta-little.html

Servant of God Luisa Piccaretta was herself a Stigmatist, victim soul, confined to a sickbed for nearly 60 years, which she accepted with perfect docility and complete submission to the Divine Will, lived hardly eating anything, loving God with all her heart, and could only be forced to write under obedience to St. Hannibal Maria.

Many of her works are very poorly translated and critics often try to make them say things they don't. Union with the Divine Will by complete surrender to It is absolutely a time-tested, traditional and sure path to perfection. "The Hours of the Passion" emphasize the importance of meditating on the Passion of Jesus Christ, as another road to perfection, in full accord with what the Saints have written.

http://www.passioiesus.org/en/santos/citas_santos.htm

Kreuzritter

Quote from: Xavier on October 21, 2019, 05:31:48 AM
QuoteNeither St. Pius X nor P. Pio approved of Luisa's hallucinations.

Prove it. I already gave references, here is more.

1. Pope St. Pius X's approval: "One of the best-remembered episodes, according to a number of witnesses, was the time that St. Father Hannibal took the book, The Hours of the Passion, to the Holy Father, now St. Pius X (who received him privately on a number of occasions, as did Popes Benedict XV and Pius XI as well). While showing it to him, he was reading a few pages when the pope interrupted him, saying, "Not while standing, Father; this book should be read kneeling. It is Jesus Christ who is speaking."  http://www.divvol.org/luisa_piccarreta/en/hannibal_apostle.htm There were also many Imprimaturs given before 1938.

What witnesses? Name them. This is pure hearsay as written.

Kreuzritter

have you found those names for us yet, Xavier? Can you give us anything more than unverifiable anecdotes for any of this?