Prayers to increase contrition and hatred of sin

Started by Bernadette, August 07, 2019, 07:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernadette

Anybody know of any good prayers for this? I'm going to confession soon, and want to make it as fruitful as possible.
My Lord and my God.

Gerard

You could repeatedly say the Act of Contrition.   Set aside certain times of the day, say it multiple times.  Do a decade of them periodically.  etc.  It'll sink in. 

Michael Wilson

Perfect Contrition is not principally the will, but in the intellect; so you can have perfect contrition without feeling any emotion or shedding tears; it is the hatred of sin because one has offended God who is all good and deserving of all our love.
Imperfect Contrition (hatred of sin, because of God's just punishments) is also useful for Confession and as an aid to obtain perfect contrition.
Here are some of the acts of Contrition that I have copied from different sources over time:
QuoteO my God I am  heartily sorry for having offended thee because thou art so very good and I firmly purpose by the help of thy grace not to offend thee again.
From St. Leonard: "O my God, because thou art so good, I am very sorry that I have sinned against thee, and I will not sin again.
O my god, I detest my sins because I deserve thy just punishment in this life and in the next, and have lost Heaven, but grant me the grace, I beseech  thee O my God, to detest my sins chiefly because they have offended thy infinite goodness, sanctity and love.
Small aspirations are also acts of perfect contrition; the Publican in the Gospel kept repeating: "O God be merciful to me a sinner!" and the Gospel tells us that he went home justified i.e. With his sins forgiven and in the state of Grace.
St. Alphonsus in a small booklet I have on prayer states that there is no more fruitful or powerful aspiration than "My Jesus Mercy". He states that this small prayer has the following thoughts condensed: "My Jesus, I by my sins, have deserved Hell; but by the confidence that thy mercy inspires me with, I hope to obtain the pardon for my sins and the grace to love thee always; help me my Jesus!"
He advises his readers to frequently repeat this small prayer every time you remember to during the day; when waking up; while praying; before and after Communion; while working; when you are walking; while eating. He further states that the servant of God St. Leonard of Port Maurice highly recommended this prayer to be always on our lips or in our hearts: "My Jesus Mercy!", "My Jesus Mercy!". 
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

mikemac

This is the Act of Contrition that I learned when I was young.

"O my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee, and I detest all my sins because I dread the loss of Heaven and the pains of hell, but mostly because they offend Thee, my God, Who art all-good and deserving of all my love. I firmly resolve, with the help of Thy grace, to confess my sins, to do my penance and to emend my life."

Also before any daily prayers, Rosary or the Mass I offer them up for "Adoration, Thanksgiving, reparation and contrition, for my salvation and for these intentions."
Like John Vennari (RIP) said "Why not just do it?  What would it hurt?"
Consecrate Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary (PETITION)
https://lifepetitions.com/petition/consecrate-russia-to-the-immaculate-heart-of-mary-petition

"We would be mistaken to think that Fatima's prophetic mission is complete." Benedict XVI May 13, 2010

"Tell people that God gives graces through the Immaculate Heart of Mary.  Tell them also to pray to the Immaculate Heart of Mary for peace, since God has entrusted it to Her." Saint Jacinta Marto

The real nature of hope is "despair, overcome."
Source

Non Nobis

Quote from: Michael Wilson on August 08, 2019, 12:43:59 PM
Perfect Contrition is not principally the will, but in the intellect; so you can have perfect contrition without feeling any emotion or shedding tears; it is the hatred of sin because one has offended God who is all good and deserving of all our love.

Technically it is of the will, because love (or hatred) is of the will; but the will is not about emotion or tears.  Your intellect can know that God is offended, and is all good and deserving of all your love; and yet your will may not care. Consider an evil theologian...
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Jesus, Mary, I love Thee! Save souls!

Michael Wilson

Bernadette (and anyone else),
if you are interested in a book that deals with the subject of Perfect Contrition in a very thorough, exhaustive, consoling and understandable manner, read "Heaven Open to Souls" Rev. Henry C. Semple S.J.
you can purchase the book on amazon here: https://www.amazon.com/Heaven-Souls-Henry-Churchill-Semple/dp/1466293829/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?keywords=Paradise+open+to+souls%3B+rev.+Henry+Semple&qid=1565372093&s=books&sr=1-1-fkmr2
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Lynne

And from our friends at Alleluia Audio Books...

http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com/perfect-contrition/

A Catholic in mortal sin can be saved without confession and absolution, but he cannot be saved without contrition.  God is abounding in mercy, but without supernatural sorrow for our sins we cannot be forgiven of our sins.  In this audiobook which is the collection of two works "Contrition" by Father O'Keefe and "Perfect Contrition: the Golden Key of Heaven" by Father J. von den Driesch you will learn:

What contrition is and how do we know if we are truly contrite.
The difference between a good and bad confession.
What the difference between imperfect and perfect contrition is.
How to obtain perfect contrition.
Is it difficult to make a perfect act of contrition.
How soon do we have to go to confession if we make a perfect act of contrition.
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael's Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

"My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you're supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen"

2Towers

For posterity...

There is a chapter in the prayer book "Blessed be God" with prayers for approaching confession, preparing for self examination, and prayers of gratitude after confession.  Best prayer book ever! :)
The Kingdom of hope, knows no winter.
-Daniel SG-1

Prayerful

The Act of Contrition (Oh my God, I am heartily sorry for having offended Thee; and I detest my sins above every other evil because they displease Thee, my God, Who for Thine infinite goodness art so deserving of my love; and I firmly resolve, by Thy holy grace, never more to offend Thee, and to amend my life, Amen, which is the form for Ireland) as said, is of help as something to meditate upon, or another way is one of the Five Wounds devotions, which remind us of the death of Our Savior. If God sent His Son, we are worth more than the stupidity and futility of sin.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.

Bernadette

I actually found some good ones today in my recently acquired Blessed Sacrament Prayer Book. I was looking through the "Devotions for Confession," and lo and behold, there they were.  :P
My Lord and my God.

Prayerful

Also the St Anthony's Treasury, Anthonian Press, Dublin, 1930, has good content too. There are reprinting of it which can be ordered online.
Padre Pio: Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer.