Author Topic: Survival food for the Apocalypse, Russian style  (Read 916 times)

Offline awkwardcustomer

• Feldwebel
  • Religion: Catholic
Survival food for the Apocalypse, Russian style
« on: August 10, 2019, 10:21:44 AM »
Forget the rice and beans, this is the way to go -

And for preserving meat without refrigeration -

And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  
St Cyril of Jerusalem, Catechetical Lecture 15, para 9.

And what rough beast, it's hour come round at last,
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?
WB Yeats, 'The Second Coming'.

The following users thanked this post: Fleur-de-Lys

Offline Fleur-de-Lys

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
Re: Survival food for the Apocalypse, Russian style
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 01:00:41 PM »
Isn’t all Russian food “survival food”? Pretty much everything is salted, smoked, pickled, and/or fermented.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Miriam_M

Offline Fleur-de-Lys

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 01:42:57 PM »
While I have great respect for traditional methods of food preservation, my plan for the Apocalypse is to loot my local Walmarts of their entire stock of Doritos and Twinkies. They’re light-weight and easy to carry, calorie-dense, don’t need to be heated, and have enough preservatives to keep until the End of Time. Y’all can all come by my place if you get tired of salt pork.  :D

The following users thanked this post: Lynne, Michael Wilson, MundaCorMeum

Offline awkwardcustomer

• Feldwebel
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 02:58:13 PM »
Isn’t all Russian food “survival food”? Pretty much everything is salted, smoked, pickled, and/or fermented.

Traditional methods of preserving meat and fat without refrigeration were/are pretty much universal. 
And formerly the heretics were manifest; but now the Church is filled with heretics in disguise.  

Online Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 09:16:52 PM »
Awkward, are you able to eat these foods with your dietary restrictions? Do they have those deadlinesses that you delineated in that series of green  mean? 
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 09:21:44 PM »
While I have great respect for traditional methods of food preservation, my plan for the Apocalypse is to loot my local Walmarts of their entire stock of Doritos and Twinkies. They’re light-weight and easy to carry, calorie-dense, don’t need to be heated, and have enough preservatives to keep until the End of Time. Y’all can all come by my place if you get tired of salt pork.  :D
Don't forget the Bean Dip!
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

The following users thanked this post: maryslittlegarden, Lynne, Fleur-de-Lys

Offline awkwardcustomer

• Feldwebel
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 12:59:51 PM »
Awkward, are you able to eat these foods with your dietary restrictions? Do they have those deadlinesses that you delineated in that series of green  mean?

None of these excellent foods contain the toxins contained in the mean greens, the beans, the wholegrains, the fruits, the nuts, the vegetables.  The plant based 'healthy' foods that entire populations are being persuaded to eat are not so healthy.

The United Nations is promoting a plant based diet.  So vegetables must be healthy, right.

Don't fall for it.  There's no connection between consumption of saturated animal fat and heart disease.  Vegetable oils are, in fact, industrial seed oils that companies such as Proctor and Gamble were determined should enter the food supply and so they funded the American Heart Association to promote then as more healthy that animal fats such as butter and lard.  Ancel Keys fiddled his figures.  And plant foods are full of toxins, because plants don't want to be eaten either.

After four months of an 80-90 per cent animal food diet, and a hugely reduced intake of high oxalate foods such as spinach and other greens, all nuts, most vegetables and nearly all fruit, I reckon that, at a conservative estimate, 100 calcium oxalate crystals have come out of my eyes.

Spinach is loaded with oxalates as are nuts, seeds and wholegrains.  Soya contains phyto-estogens which mimic estrogen and mess with your hormones.  No human being should eat soya.  But aside from the phytates which inhibit digestive enzymes in those who consumes plants, and lectins, and goitregens that many plants contain, there are the oxalates of which calcium oxalate is particularly problematic.

Eating high oxalate foods for decades as I have done, thinking they were healthy, can lead to an accumulation of calcium oxalate crystals throughout the body, in the brain, the eyes, the thyroid, the lungs, the heart muscle, the kidneys, the joints, the digestive system.  Eat them every day and the body cannot keep up the elimination process and has to store them.  Stop eating high oxalate foods and after a short period - about a week - the body will start to dump them.  It's called 'oxalate dumping' on Google.  There are online groups promoting low oxalate diets for autism, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, joint pain, arthritis. 

So I'm suggesting that people ignore whatever the government, the AMA, the UN, the EU, the BMA, and a thousand other state and global agencies are saying and do the opposite, that is, eat plenty of animal foods and as much saturated animal fat as you can and ditch at least half of your plant foods.  And never ever feed your children anything containing soya.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 01:03:02 PM by awkwardcustomer »

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, Michael Wilson

Offline awkwardcustomer

• Feldwebel

Offline drummerboy

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: sisu
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 12:29:41 PM »

None of these excellent foods contain the toxins contained in the mean greens, the beans, the wholegrains, the fruits, the nuts, the vegetables.  The plant based 'healthy' foods that entire populations are being persuaded to eat are not so healthy.

The United Nations is promoting a plant based diet.  So vegetables must be healthy, right.

Don't fall for it.  There's no connection between consumption of saturated animal fat and heart disease.  Vegetable oils are, in fact, industrial seed oils that companies such as Proctor and Gamble were determined should enter the food supply and so they funded the American Heart Association to promote then as more healthy that animal fats such as butter and lard.  Ancel Keys fiddled his figures.  And plant foods are full of toxins, because plants don't want to be eaten either.

After four months of an 80-90 per cent animal food diet, and a hugely reduced intake of high oxalate foods such as spinach and other greens, all nuts, most vegetables and nearly all fruit, I reckon that, at a conservative estimate, 100 calcium oxalate crystals have come out of my eyes.

Spinach is loaded with oxalates as are nuts, seeds and wholegrains.  Soya contains phyto-estogens which mimic estrogen and mess with your hormones.  No human being should eat soya.  But aside from the phytates which inhibit digestive enzymes in those who consumes plants, and lectins, and goitregens that many plants contain, there are the oxalates of which calcium oxalate is particularly problematic.

Eating high oxalate foods for decades as I have done, thinking they were healthy, can lead to an accumulation of calcium oxalate crystals throughout the body, in the brain, the eyes, the thyroid, the lungs, the heart muscle, the kidneys, the joints, the digestive system.  Eat them every day and the body cannot keep up the elimination process and has to store them.  Stop eating high oxalate foods and after a short period - about a week - the body will start to dump them.  It's called 'oxalate dumping' on Google.  There are online groups promoting low oxalate diets for autism, chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, joint pain, arthritis. 

So I'm suggesting that people ignore whatever the government, the AMA, the UN, the EU, the BMA, and a thousand other state and global agencies are saying and do the opposite, that is, eat plenty of animal foods and as much saturated animal fat as you can and ditch at least half of your plant foods.  And never ever feed your children anything containing soya.

Yes, but...

Many of those toxins in plants can be killed off by cooking, this is why the Chinese traditionally never ate raw vegetables but always cooked, they may not have known about oxalates or toxins but they knew they had to be cooked.  I believe medieval Europeans did the same.  I do agree on the soy 100 % though, I haven't read anything great about this plant, even if I do love my Kikkoman (brewed in WI!).  Too bad people don't eat more peas, they are higher in protein than soy and still very cheap.  Medieval Europe lived off of peas.

Furthermore, where are you getting your animal products?  Unless it is non-GMO or grass fed, you are still digesting all that nasty soy, the GMO plant genes that the body doesn't recognize actually concentrate in animal fat, so if someone is on a budget and can't afford the better meats, the safest route is too trim the fat.
The bee is small among flying things, but her fruit hath the chiefest sweetness - Ecclesiasticus 3:11

Offline drummerboy

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 12:31:51 PM »
Why not preserve meat in brine?  Take some five gallon food grade buckets, get a strong brine solution and there you go, its how meat was preserved in the age of sail, just be sure to rinse it well (like any salted meat).  I wonder if solar softener salt would work as its cheaper than the grocery store stuff.
The bee is small among flying things, but her fruit hath the chiefest sweetness - Ecclesiasticus 3:11

Offline awkwardcustomer

• Feldwebel
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2019, 10:11:22 AM »
Yes, but...

Many of those toxins in plants can be killed off by cooking, this is why the Chinese traditionally never ate raw vegetables but always cooked, they may not have known about oxalates or toxins but they knew they had to be cooked.  I believe medieval Europeans did the same.  I do agree on the soy 100 % though, I haven't read anything great about this plant, even if I do love my Kikkoman (brewed in WI!).  Too bad people don't eat more peas, they are higher in protein than soy and still very cheap.  Medieval Europe lived off of peas.

Furthermore, where are you getting your animal products?  Unless it is non-GMO or grass fed, you are still digesting all that nasty soy, the GMO plant genes that the body doesn't recognize actually concentrate in animal fat, so if someone is on a budget and can't afford the better meats, the safest route is too trim the fat.

You mean, some plant toxins can be reduced by cooking - but not all and not nearly enough.

Cooking doesn't affect calcium oxalate, for example, and neither does soaking or fermenting.  And even with soaking and cooking, many toxins remain.  And what about the antinutrients in fruit, and nuts, and chocolate, which aren't cooked?

Peas are excellent and low in oxalates.  You're right, they were a staple in Europe before the arrival of the potato, which is high in oxalates.  Here's a recipe for Pease Pudding.

https://guernseydonkey.com/medieval-cookery-pease-pudding/

Lamb in the UK is grass fed and it is fairly easy for me to find grass fed beef. 

I've also started soaking and fermenting oats and the new taste is amazing.  Traditionally, Scottish oats were fermented, for as long as 3 weeks for some dishes.  Fermenting grains to get rid of the phytates, which are enzyme inhibitors and affect your digestion, is an age old traditional practice.

As someone who ate a low fat, high carb, 'healthy' diet packed with grains, veg and fruit, these traditional methods, practised by all peoples everywhere before the corporations got involved, seem to me to be packed with wisdom.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 10:13:15 AM by awkwardcustomer »

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich

Offline awkwardcustomer

• Feldwebel
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2019, 10:14:18 AM »
Why not preserve meat in brine?  Take some five gallon food grade buckets, get a strong brine solution and there you go, its how meat was preserved in the age of sail, just be sure to rinse it well (like any salted meat).  I wonder if solar softener salt would work as its cheaper than the grocery store stuff.

Do you just leave it in there?  And for how long?

Offline drummerboy

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 09:11:31 PM »

Do you just leave it in there?  And for how long?

You can watch this guy all day long...

The following users thanked this post: awkwardcustomer

Offline drummerboy

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 09:24:06 PM »

And just for good taste... :o

The following users thanked this post: awkwardcustomer

Offline awkwardcustomer

• Feldwebel
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 10:38:26 AM »

And just for good taste... :o

Great videos.  This brought to mind that traditional English dish - Pig's Trotters.  A quick look online showed dishes from just about everywhere which use pig's feet, or trotters.  They waste nothing.

I also found this.  How to debone a pig's head.

Waste not, want not.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 10:40:03 AM by awkwardcustomer »