Author Topic: If a priest says something isn't a sin...  (Read 570 times)

Offline magdalena59

• Mary Garden
  • Hellebardier
  • Praised be the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Praised be t
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
Re: If a priest says something isn't a sin...
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2019, 05:26:36 PM »
but you know that it is, and he gives you absolution, is that sin forgiven too even if it's not his intention to forgive it (because he doesn't think it's a sin)?

I had that happen not too long ago where a priest said something I was confessing wasn't a sin and I didn't know what to do or think at the time either. It was the first and only time I had been to him and he had pretty modernist views.

Recently someone said when that happens you could politely ask the priest to respect your confession or your conscience and grant you absolution.

I think as others have said, though, the absolution is valid and all sins are forgiven.
Therefore, brethren, stand fast; and hold the traditions which you have learned, whether by word, or by our epistle. 2nd Thessalonians 2:15

Offline St.Justin

• Feldwebel
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2019, 03:43:10 PM »
"a legitimately ordained priest in good standing with faculties through the local bishop,"

Any Priest can administer a valid confession "faculties through the local bishop" are not always necessary.

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Never have been "MiriamB"
  • Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2019, 07:51:31 PM »
"a legitimately ordained priest in good standing with faculties through the local bishop,"

Any Priest can administer a valid confession "faculties through the local bishop" are not always necessary.

Faculties can be applied outside of the local jurisdiction.  That's pretty obvious, as otherwise priests would only be able to her local confessions, when in fact they can hear them anywhere -- airports, etc.  But they do obtain, first, formal permission from whatever bishop is closest to their main location.  That's what I've been told by priests. (Valid and licit are two different concepts.)