Author Topic: Forum Member Titles  (Read 346 times)

Offline Goodman John

• Hellebardier
  • Religion: Cathar
Forum Member Titles
« on: August 08, 2019, 11:33:57 AM »
I have been a forum member only a very short time, but I have noticed many (including myself) having a Germanic 'title' attached to their name- Wachtmeister, Feldwebel, Hauptmann, etc. What is the significance of this any why use German ranks and such?

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Forum Member Titles
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 12:12:10 PM »
Kaesekopf, the forum owner, like many good Yankees from Wisconsin, is of German descent. He also was, I believe, an exchange student there. As such, he opted to have German titles for post ranking.

Not my favorite thing and I don’t pay attention to it. But rest assured it has nothing to do with the third Reich.
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

Woe is me, because I have held my peace. Isaiah 6

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Roter Fleisch, der Speck und Bourbon
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 12:24:30 PM »
Kaesekopf, the forum owner, like many good Yankees from Wisconsin, is of German descent. He also was, I believe, an exchange student there. As such, he opted to have German titles for post ranking.

Not my favorite thing and I don’t pay attention to it. But rest assured it has nothing to do with the third Reich.

It is the hierarchy of Swiss Guard ranks.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf, red solo cup, Non Nobis

Offline Goodman John

• Hellebardier
  • Religion: Cathar
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 01:09:42 PM »

Ahh, I see. Makes perfect sense now- thank you!

The following users thanked this post: Kaesekopf, Heinrich

Offline Sempronius

• Wachtmeister
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 04:00:55 PM »

Didnt know that. Next time Im in Rome I’ll ask one of the guards ”Are you also a wachtmeister?”

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich

Offline Heinrich

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 07:22:51 PM »

Didnt know that. Next time Im in Rome I’ll ask one of the guards ”Are you also a wachtmeister?”

nur auf deutsch

I think that German, along with Latin and English, are the de facto languages of Suscipe Domine. At least, if there were any formal documents needing a draft, that's what Käse would probably like to do.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 07:26:17 PM »

I always forget they speak German. Probably since they’re so neutrally forgettable until I need a good pocketknife or overpriced watch.
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

Woe is me, because I have held my peace. Isaiah 6

Offline Heinrich

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2019, 07:37:36 PM »

I always forget they speak German. Probably since they’re so neutrally forgettable until I need a good pocketknife or overpriced watch.

You won't ever forget a Schwingfest!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwingen

The following users thanked this post: Philip G.

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 05:52:41 AM »
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"