Author Topic: What’s Your favorite instrument?  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
Re: What’s Your favorite instrument?
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2019, 01:18:00 PM »
You should take up an instrument, Daniel. It will free your mind of thoughts to let the vibrations of the air do your thinking and talking. It won’t be about playing well or badly. It won’t be about rules or following them. It will be about joy, and from joy and its source, love, that all things flow into the boundaries which seem like restriction until it’s realized they are an endless playground of 12 notes.

Wow.

My favorite would have to be the piano.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

The following users thanked this post: Chestertonian

Offline Philip G.

• Wachtmeister
  • Ordinary Cult
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2019, 09:30:58 PM »
I do not know if the classical guitar is my favorite instrument, but it is the instrument that I currently play.  Here is a video of a song I just learned. 

For the stone shall cry out of the wall; and the timber that is between the joints of the building, shall answer.  Woe to him that buildeth a town with blood, and prepareth a city by iniquity. - Habacuc 2,11-12

The following users thanked this post: Vetus Ordo, Gardener, Fleur-de-Lys

Offline Fleur-de-Lys

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2019, 09:52:08 PM »
I do not know if the classical guitar is my favorite instrument, but it is the instrument that I currently play.  Here is a video of a song I just learned. 

It is my favorite. Well done, Philip G!

The following users thanked this post: Philip G.

Offline Fleur-de-Lys

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2019, 09:53:20 PM »
I also like the bagpipes.

The following users thanked this post: Vetus Ordo, red solo cup, Gardener

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2019, 10:15:52 PM »
You should take up an instrument, Daniel. It will free your mind of thoughts to let the vibrations of the air do your thinking and talking. It won’t be about playing well or badly. It won’t be about rules or following them. It will be about joy, and from joy and its source, love, that all things flow into the boundaries which seem like restriction until it’s realized they are an endless playground of 12 notes.

Wow.

My favorite would have to be the piano.

That a good wow or a “gardener smoking pot?” wow? ;D
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

Woe is me, because I have held my peace. Isaiah 6

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Gott, wende Dich zu uns und gib uns neues Leben
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 05:56:46 PM »
Good, brother, good. Who said pipes? Forgot about them.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2019, 06:45:10 AM »
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

Offline Machaut1377

• Korporal
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2020, 09:33:05 PM »
Can't really say I have a favorite instrument to listen to, though my favorite to play is the soprano recorder. Since that is what I have.

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2020, 10:33:08 PM »
Can't really say I have a favorite instrument to listen to, though my favorite to play is the soprano recorder. Since that is what I have.

Hot Cross Buns!

I bought a banjo a bit ago, so of course I’ve been plucking away on my baritone ukulele more instead.
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

Woe is me, because I have held my peace. Isaiah 6

The following users thanked this post: MundaCorMeum

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2020, 10:55:31 PM »

Hot Cross Buns!

I bought a banjo a bit ago, so of course I’ve been plucking away on my baritone ukulele more instead.

I've actually hidden the recorder from my children because of this song  :crazy:. But, it's been a few years, so maybe it's time to break it out and let them at it again!

Offline Machaut1377

• Korporal
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2020, 01:34:55 AM »

Hot Cross Buns!

I've actually hidden the recorder from my children because of this song  :crazy:. But, it's been a few years, so maybe it's time to break it out and let them at it again!

You should! It's a fun instrument to play, it's easy to start playing on, and it has 900 years of repertoire.

Offline Lynne

• happy to be Catholic!
  • Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • We're all special snowflakes
  • Religion: Catholic (SSPX)
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2020, 07:10:58 AM »

Hot Cross Buns!

Oh yeah, go for it!  :D
In conclusion, I can leave you with no better advice than that given after every sermon by Msgr Vincent Giammarino, who was pastor of St Michael’s Church in Atlantic City in the 1950s:

“My dear good people: Do what you have to do, When you’re supposed to do it, The best way you can do it,   For the Love of God. Amen.”

Offline MundaCorMeum

• Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2020, 11:30:12 AM »

Hot Cross Buns!

You should! It's a fun instrument to play, it's easy to start playing on, and it has 900 years of repertoire.

It is fun.  My oldest daughter got pretty decent at it, actually.  She and 3 of her siblings play piano, as well.  They could learn a duet.

The following users thanked this post: Lynne

Offline coffeeandcigarette

• Mary Garden
  • Korporal
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2020, 05:44:08 PM »
vocal chords, specifically male ones

Offline Gerard

• Feldwebel
  • .. and his raiment became white and glittering
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2020, 12:29:00 AM »
Piano without a doubt. 

John Bayless prior to his crippling stroke made the most amazing transcriptions of Puccini arias.  Easily one of the best pianists I've ever seen perform live.  He asked for audience requests of popular tunes and then for a composer and he would improvise the piece on the spot.  I got him to perform "Roll out the Barrel" in the style of Rachmaninoff. 

George Winston's rural folk piano.  "Thanksgiving" is part of the soundtrack of my adult life. 

And for straight classical, my favorite pianist among many favorites is Claudio Arrau. 

Liszt's "Fountains of the Villa D'este"  Interestingly the sheet music has quotes from the Gospel of John "..to him that I give water shall never thirst...everlasting life."  in it at a certain section to help guide the interpretation.