Author Topic: Introducing Myself to Suscipe Domine  (Read 333 times)

Offline rako

• Hellebardier
  • Religion: Eastern Orthodox
Introducing Myself to Suscipe Domine
« on: June 15, 2019, 07:39:40 PM »
Greetings! Here I will introduce myself using your form.

What brings you to SD?
I came to SD because I am reading the writings about Christianity, in particular from the Age of the Apostles and the Apostolic Fathers, in order to get a better hold on the foundational period of Christianity. I started with the potential 1st century writings, and some of them were written in the Church in Rome, particularly I and II Clement, and the Shepherd of Hermas. I didn't understand some things that I read in them, and so I want to ask you about these texts.

Are you a member of other Internet fora?  If so, care to mention which one(s)?
Avemariaradio.net, christianforums.com, Fish Eaters, grahamhancock.com/phorum

Why did you choose your username and avatar?
The username refers to a famous Slavic surname, and the avatar reminded me of the way that I used to look.

The following users thanked this post: Habitual_Ritual, Xavier, TheReturnofLive

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
Re: Introducing Myself to Suscipe Domine
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2019, 08:20:34 PM »
Rako,
welcome to the forum. We have a nice group here and I hope you stick around.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

The following users thanked this post: rako

Offline Fleur-de-Lys

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 08:20:55 PM »
Welcome, rako!

I won’t likely be able to answer your questions on this topic, but I look forward to reading the discussion.

Offline Heinrich

• Steig mal auf den Berg hinauf
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Roter Fleisch, der Speck und Bourbon
  • Religion: römisch-katholisch
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 12:15:06 AM »
Welcome. Of what national church do you belong? Also, have you been following the World's Strongest Man contest this weekend? Some Georgian made the finals. A few other slavs as well.
Schaff Recht mir Gott und führe meine Sache gegen ein unheiliges Volk . . .   .                          
Lex Orandi, lex credendi, lex vivendi.
"Die Welt sucht nach Ehre, Ansehen, Reichtum, Vergnügen; die Heiligen aber suchen Demütigung, Verachtung, Armut, Abtötung und Buße." --Ausschnitt von der Geschichte des Lebens St. Bennos.

Offline red solo cup

• John 6:56
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Fair weather Catholic
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 05:51:12 AM »
 :toth:
"It's so lonely 'round the fields of Athenry"

Offline rako

• Hellebardier
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 06:24:17 PM »
Thanks very much for your greetings.
I joined the OCA, one reason being accessibility: they are spread out in rural/small town areas in the Industrial North where I live, due to the demographics of the Rusyn & Ukrainian immigration pattern 120 years ago. The OCA tends to come from a "Pan-Russian" heritage, but it also aims to represent Orthodoxy in America as a whole (hence the name Orthodox Church in America). This reminds me of one thing that I like about the Catholic Church - that it aims to unite believers across nationality and racial divides in America. In contrast, unfortunately there are areas, particularly in the South, where Protestant congregations are sharply divided along racial lines, hence the creation of the A.M.E. Church. I am not saying that to bash Protestants in particular, since you can find examples of discrimination and abuse among different religious groups.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 06:31:11 PM by rako »

Offline Miriam_M

• Mary Garden
  • Hauptmann
  • Never have been "MiriamB"
  • Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 02:24:06 AM »
This reminds me of one thing that I like about the Catholic Church - that it aims to unite believers across nationality and racial divides in America.

Respectfully, that was before V2.  That is, that was before so-called American political and social "multiculturalism" pervaded the American church.  Multiculturalism divided both the secular realm and the religious realm, "balkanizing" this country by emphasizing differences and subordinating cultural identity to the Common Good.  The beauty of the pre-V2 era in the Church was the one common culture and one common liturgical language no matter where you traveled around the globe. Mass was recognizably similar because the rubrics were essentially uniform (sometimes with slight but not significant differences).

Mass in the vernacular has been a disaster, adding to the multiplicity of liturgies, plural; the experience of cultural separatism; and the redirection from the divine to the human.

Mind you, it was not V2 per se that created multiculturalism.  Again, it was a secular movement.  However, the problems were three:  (1) the fact that the Council documents made actual mention of incorporating cultural differences into liturgy, (2) the almost vehement embrace of the world and the world's principles that the documents so comprehensively and naively celebrated (multiculturalism became fashionable in politics and academia in the 1970's); (3) the inordinate fervor in which the [invented] "spirit of Vatican 2" consumed the post-Council church on the parish level, meaning that events and movements in the world were eagerly appropriated by the Church in a way that had never happened before.

I love your avatar.  What is the source?

The following users thanked this post: Heinrich, maryslittlegarden, rako

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 10:34:38 AM »
His avatar is Kurt Cobain.
"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

The following users thanked this post: Miriam_M, rako

Offline rako

• Hellebardier
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2019, 07:21:27 PM »
The beauty of the pre-V2 era in the Church was the one common culture and one common liturgical language no matter where you traveled around the globe. Mass was recognizably similar because the rubrics were essentially uniform (sometimes with slight but not significant differences).

Mass in the vernacular has been a disaster, adding to the multiplicity of liturgies, plural; the experience of cultural separatism; and the redirection from the divine to the human.
I would like to hear a "High Mass" in Latin sometime. I heard that it resembles the liturgy in the Orthodox church.

I love your avatar.  What is the source?
Thanks. I found it in the avatar gallery when I set up my profile.