Author Topic: '17 can. 2319 §1: Marriage before non-Catholic minister excommunicable offense‽  (Read 185 times)

Offline Geremia

• Feldwebel
    • St. Isidore e-book library
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
1917 Code can. 2319:
§ 1. Subsunt excommunicationi latae sententiae Ordinario reservatae catholici:     1°. Qui matrimonium ineunt coram ministro acatholico contra praescriptum can. 1063, § 1;

§ 1. The following Catholics are excommunicated latae sententiae reserved to the Ordinary:     1°. Who contract marriage before a non-Catholic minister against can. 1063, § 1;
can. 1063, § 1 says:
Etsi ab Ecclesia obtenta sit dispensatio super impedimento mixtae religionis, coniuges nequeunt, vel ante vel post matrimonium coram Eccclesia initum, adire quoque, sive per se sive per procuratorem, ministrum acatholicum uti sacris addictum, ad matrimonialem consensum praestandum vel renovandum.

Although a dispensation from the above impediment of mixed religioun has been obtained from the Church, the spouses cannot, either before or after the marriage entered into in the present of the Church, also go, personally or through a procurator, to a non-Catholic minister as [if to] one in ministry, in order to offer or renew matrimonial consent.
I couldn't find anything in the '83 Code saying Catholics attempting marriage in front of a non-Catholic minister incur latę sententię excommunication.

Is it no longer an excommunicable offense? If so, why?

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
Think: "Vatican II" decree on Ecumenism, "Unitatis Redintegratio"
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

Offline Geremia

• Feldwebel
Unitatis Redintegratio
One of the worst V2 docs. Even the title denies the Church's unity.

Offline Geremia

• Feldwebel
Why, according to the 1917 Code, is marrying in front a non-Catholic minister excommunicable, but simply not marrying in front of a Catholic priest (clandestine marriage) isn't. Is it because associating with a non-Catholic minister in this way is a form of apostasy?

Offline Non Nobis

• Why are you fearful?
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
Why, according to the 1917 Code, is marrying in front a non-Catholic minister excommunicable, but simply not marrying in front of a Catholic priest (clandestine marriage) isn't. Is it because associating with a non-Catholic minister in this way is a form of apostasy?

Does every mortal sin against the requirements of faith necessarily imply apostasy: "the complete and voluntary abandonment of the Christian religion" (Catholic Encyclopedia)? I don't think that is right. Someone might apostatize in order to marry a protestant; but alternately they might disobey the Church in a matter of faith without repudiating it.  They might even believe all the same things that they did before.

I don't know Canon Law but obviously marrying before a non-Catholic minister is a positive acceptance of a function of a non-Catholic religion in place of a Catholic Sacrament, not just omitting something required for a Catholic. It makes sense that they would have separate penalties (like participating in a protestant service vs. missing Mass).
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 12:43:09 AM by Non Nobis »
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

The following users thanked this post: Michael Wilson