Author Topic: naming a child after a virtue  (Read 499 times)

Offline Traditionallyruralmom

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Raising warriors for Christ and our country!
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
naming a child after a virtue
« on: June 04, 2019, 10:03:23 AM »
I know this is a popular protestant thing.  Is there anything in Church tradition that approves or disapproves of this?
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Offline Maximilian

• Hauptmann
Re: naming a child after a virtue
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 11:36:59 AM »
I know this is a popular protestant thing.  Is there anything in Church tradition that approves or disapproves of this?

Even though I guess it's not a traditionally Catholic thing, I like those names like Faith, Hope, Charity, Prudence, etc.

It does seem like they're all girls' names, which makes the virtues appear a bit feminine. Maybe you could name a boy "Fortitude." Or how about "Fear of the Lord"?

If you named a child "Justice," and they became a judge, they'd be "Justice Justice." If your last name was Justice, like the baseball player David Justice, then they'd be "Justice Justice Justice." (Like Major Major Major from Catch-22.)

The following users thanked this post: Josephine87

Offline Traditionallyruralmom

• Mary Garden
  • Wachtmeister
  • Raising warriors for Christ and our country!
  • Religion: Traditional Catholic
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 11:43:15 AM »
If you named a child "Justice," and they became a judge, they'd be "Justice Justice."

That would be quite interesting  :)
I actually know someone named Peter Peterson.....

Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat.

Offline Gardener

• Drink the poison yourself.
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 12:20:38 PM »
Meekness, why did you hit your brother!?

Poverty of Spirit, why are you crying about the gifts you got for Epiphany!?

Chastity, we need to talk about your internet history.

Modesty, where did you get those shorts!?

Temperance, is that your 3rd helping of cake?

"And what use are the victories on the battlefield if we are ourselves are defeated in our innermost personal selves?" - St. Maximilian Kolbe

Providence is a present mystery by which our hope is confirmed and our faith solidified, if we give not into despair or disbelief.

The following users thanked this post: Non Nobis, maryslittlegarden, Lynne, Chestertonian, Josephine87

Offline aquinas138

• Wachtmeister
  • Māran etraḥam 'lay!
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 01:33:37 PM »
I can't imagine a reasonable objection to it. There are numerous saints named after the virtues, so it was evidently common in the early centuries. For example, Saints Faith, Hope, and Charity were sisters who were martyred with their mother Sophia in the second century. They are in the (real) Roman Martyrology on August 1 (Sophia on September 30), and all four are celebrated in the Byzantine tradition on September 17.
O unashamed intercessor of Christians, ever loyal advocate before the Creator, do not disregard the prayerful voice of sinners but in your goodness hasten to assist us who trustfully cry out to you: Intercede always, O Mother of God, in behalf of those who honor you!

The following users thanked this post: Non Nobis, Lynne, Traditionallyruralmom, Josephine87

Offline Chestertonian

• The Stephen Hawking of SD
  • St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Major
  • Eternal Gadfly
  • Religion: Catholic
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 09:51:05 PM »
I went to school with a few different boys named "Christian." I don't think they've gone to live Christian lives.  Virtue names are a bit too waspy for my tastes, but many saints names and biblical banned are virtue names on other languages so theres that.  My name means "God Hears" and I'm always doubting whether God ever listens.
"I am not much of a Crusader, that is for sure, but at least I am not a Mohamedist!"

The following users thanked this post: Traditionallyruralmom

Offline Non Nobis

• Why are you fearful?
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 11:29:58 PM »
I went to school with a few different boys named "Christian." I don't think they've gone to live Christian lives.  Virtue names are a bit too waspy for my tastes, but many saints names and biblical banned are virtue names on other languages so theres that.  My name means "God Hears" and I'm always doubting whether God ever listens.

I know a couple "Christians", and believe that one is a good Catholic (which only makes sense for a good "Christian").

Chestertonian, have faith that God listens, but wants to answer quietly.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 11:32:24 PM by Non Nobis »
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?