Author Topic: Abp. Lefebvre: indult of secularization to depart the Holy Ghost Fathers?  (Read 300 times)

Offline Geremia

• Feldwebel
    • St. Isidore e-book library
  • Religion: Roman Catholic
When Abp. Lefebvre resigned as superior general of the Holy Ghost Fathers in 1968, did he seek an indult of secularization to depart from the Holy Ghost Fathers, or was he dismissed?

Offline Non Nobis

• Why are you fearful?
  • Mary Garden
  • Feldwebel
[T]he Holy Ghost Fathers, chaffing under the archbishop’s conservative leadership, essentially forced his resignation as their superior general at the General Chapter of 1968.

But are you sure that he left the Holy Ghost Fathers altogether? That doesn't necessarily follow.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 01:28:25 AM by Non Nobis »
[Matthew 8:26]  And Jesus saith to them: Why are you fearful, O ye of little faith? Then rising up he commanded the winds, and the sea, and there came a great calm.

[Job  38:1-5]  Then the Lord answered Job out of a whirlwind, and said: [2] Who is this that wrappeth up sentences in unskillful words? [3] Gird up thy loins like a man: I will ask thee, and answer thou me. [4] Where wast thou when I laid up the foundations of the earth? tell me if thou hast understanding. [5] Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

Offline Geremia

• Feldwebel
    • St. Isidore e-book library
But are you sure that he left the Holy Ghost Fathers altogether? That doesn't necessarily follow.
According to Spiritan History 1965 – Present,
his ties with the Congregation were severed in 1974
How exactly were they "severed"?

Offline Kaesekopf

• Enkindle in us the virtues of humility and patience So we too may obediently do your will faithfully.
  • Oberst
  • Major
    • Suscipe Domine
  • Religion: Catholic
According to Spiritan History 1965 – Present,
his ties with the Congregation were severed in 1974
How exactly were they "severed"?

His "declaration" was in 1974, so I imagine that had something to do with it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20061013232352/http://www.sspx.org/SSPX_FAQs/appendix_I._declaration.htm
Wie dein Sonntag, so dein Sterbetag.

I am not altogether on anybody's side, because nobody is altogether on my side.  ~Treebeard, LOTR

Jesus son of David, have mercy on me.

The following users thanked this post: Traditionallyruralmom

Offline Michael Wilson

• St. Joseph's Workbench
  • Hauptmann
  • Religion: Catholic
Archbishop Lefebvre in Msgr. Tissier's biography explained that he put in his renunciation as the superior of the Holy Ghost Fathers in 1968, in view of the fact that the coming General Chapter was already pre-disposed to adopt reforms for the order that were in accord with the spirit of Vatican II, and would in fact destroy its identity and religious spirit. He had nothing else to do with the order after that, so it is safe to assume that he also quit the order at this time.
"The World Must Conform to Our Lord and not He to it." Rev. Dennis Fahey CSSP

"My brothers, all of you, if you are condemned to see the triumph of evil, never applaud it. Never say to evil: you are good; to decadence: you are progess; to death: you are life. Sanctify yourselves in the times wherein God has placed you; bewail the evils and the disorders which God tolerates; oppose them with the energy of your works and your efforts, your life uncontaminated by error, free from being led astray, in such a way that having lived here below, united with the Spirit of the Lord, you will be admitted to be made but one with Him forever and ever: But he who is joined to the Lord is one in spirit." Cardinal Pie of Potiers

The following users thanked this post: St.Justin